My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Help with Raydon's Software

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pauljoan

This software is very very clever but can I please make a plea for a simple guide for those not in the "developer's club".
    I started with a ZX 80/ZX81/Spectrum/RPi and followed all pc stuff, have always built my own pcs and installed all software etc, but I have found application of this software very difficult. It may seem incredible but it took me 2 days and 10 reads of the installation instructions before I realised the Open Browser instruction referred to your PC and not the Humax box. Because the instructions made no reference to a PC I assumed the sofware had somehow installed a browser on the HDR. Yes stupid I know.
    Anyway that is in the past, can I ask a couple of basic questions.

1. Have installed Samba (not sure what it does), web interface "Package Management" confirms it is installed, but where is it, what does it do and how do I find it, is there any "help" files available.

2. I believe this software should allow me to transfer files from PC to HDR and visa versa. Can anyone explain the basic method in very simple language without mentioning the terms "web interface index" "uPnP Servers" "netbios broadcasts" "hd4 partitions" "web servers" "FTP servers" "application binaries" "DSS Host Keys" "unicode paths" etc etc etc.

I realise this software was written in a "developers" context, but now it is working bug free it would be a useful project for someone to bring it into the Joe Public domain.

| Sat 7 Jul 2012 19:29:44 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Samba lets you access the Foxsat-hdrs hard disc as if it was installed on your PC.

In jargon terms you simply map a network drive to an unused drive letter on your PC. From then on it appears as any other drive on your PC so you can use usual windows drag and drop to transfer files. In Win 7 open file explorer and choose the network entry. You should see the foxsat in the list.

More info

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Create-a-shortcut-to-map-a-network-drive

| Sat 7 Jul 2012 20:00:13 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pauljoan

Thanks for your time.
    I tried to map a drive (win Vista), but it would not allow me to map direct to FOXSAT-HDR but only to individual subfolders.
    Then I noticed that there was already a Network folder in explorer and this contains FOXSAT-HDR, so far so good.
    But when I then open a video subfolder which has the name of a 1 hour program, all I see is eight small .tac files. Pictures and music all show up fine and can be opened without any problem.
    Just need to crack video problem and then sorted.

| Sun 8 Jul 2012 0:28:28 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The .tac files are in a sub-folder commencing with a '.' (these cannot be seen using the Foxsat user interface) - you need to look in the containing folder for a file type .ts You will also see two other file types which support the .ts.

If you map a network drive it should be to \\FOXSAT-HDR\Media

| Sun 8 Jul 2012 7:01:03 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pauljoan

Ok making some progress. I had not opened up all the files correctly in Explorer. With it fully oped I can now see exactly what I had hoped to see. Note did not need to map, everything is visible under Network. Very impressed how I can copy music .mp3 files direct to HDR.

Last question (promise), how do I convert the .ts files into something more friendly eg that my video editing software and media player will accept.

| Mon 9 Jul 2012 13:12:45 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

All the video editing software I have will work with the transport stream files without conversion.

Even Windows Movie Maker will open them.

What are you using to edit them ?

Don't expect to be able to open HD .ts files, they are encrypted.

For playback try Splash Lite.

http://mirillis.com/en/products/splash.html

| Mon 9 Jul 2012 13:18:46 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pauljoan

No real surprise but my video editor did not like the.ts file, "file format mismatch".
    The software is Ulead Medea Studio Pro V 8.0 running on XP (because it will not rum on Vista). Yes it is old and I need to get something else but very difficult to choose with so many options available.
    Tried Moviemaker, had some success after using help files, but when "published" the format was wrong, wide screen lost and squashed into 4:3. with big black border, again no real surprise.
    Anyway thanks for help, once I got some proper software I am sure it will all be sorted.

| Mon 9 Jul 2012 22:10:58 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pauljoan - 11 hours ago  » 
    No real surprise but my video editor did not like the.ts file, "file format mismatch".
    The software is Ulead Medea Studio Pro V 8.0 running on XP (because it will not rum on Vista). Yes it is old and I need to get something else but very difficult to choose with so many options available.
    Tried Moviemaker, had some success after using help files, but when "published" the format was wrong, wide screen lost and squashed into 4:3. with big black border, again no real surprise.
    Anyway thanks for help, once I got some proper software I am sure it will all be sorted.

Try remuxing the file using TSmuxergui to either .ts or .m2ts

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR

If you only want to do simple cut edits (like topping and tailing and chopping out ads) then I can highly recommend one of the versions of Videoredo.

For SD only and just to create standard mpeg2 files for other DVD authoring software. VideoRedo plus

All in one SD and DVD authoring - VideoRedo TVsuite.

For all above plus HD editing (no HD disc authoring as yet) - VideoRedo TVsuiteH264.

Free trials available from

http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

If you use a video editor for other uses then these are worth trying

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11 Production Suite

Magix Movie Edit Pro MX Premium.

Trial versions of both available.

| Tue 10 Jul 2012 9:46:26 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.