My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Hi

(1 post)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alanm1969

Hi,

Introduction due! I'll be posting on another board with my issue shortly!

I have an HDR-1000S sitting at home waiting to be switched on - can't wait to get my problems fixed so I can start using it.

I have had a 9200T since 2007 - one of the first recordings I made on it was the Tour de France riding past the pub at the end of my road - so I know it is 2007!

A couple of years ago I had to replace my CRT with an HD LCD, and I have been really disappointed with the picture - not a hummy thing, simply the blockiness seen up close on a HD tv with an SD source. Also made worse by the crap bitrates that channels are running on now. Suppose the SCART lead could be a bit iffy too.

Anyhow, the straw that broke the camel's back was digital switchover. There is a transmitter (in East Anglia I think) that uses a channel very near to my BBC mux signal and during the summer (inversions?) I started getting blackouts on my freeview signal - hate hate hate! Subsequently, started getting issues with pixellation when heating comes on etc.

Aerial is OK, but I suspect that the cable from it is suffering, and the simple fix of replacing it is a non-starter - had a loft conversion done some while ago and the cable run has been made unreachable by the work inside the roof. I could pay someone to go up and fix the problem, but then I don't want a cable over my roof tiles, so I'm paying them to lift tiles to hide it. Stuff that!

So I've bitten the bullet and decided to go Freesat - no terrestial reception issues (although satellite has it's own), and an upgrade to an HD source so that the little football I do watch will at least look half-decent.

I am aware of the issues with the freesat g2 box, but I'm prepared to wait out the issues. I recall the 9200T having problems of it's own early on, but Humax plugged away at them and I have to say that I have been really impressed with it. I see no reason why the same should not be true (in time) with the 1000S.

Lastly, can I just point out that I have learnt the hard way that using ipad apps for positioning a satellite dish is pants. I am aware that geo-locating the exact position of the ipad is always going to be tricky, so I fixed the location of the satellite in the sky 7-8 times over a day using Dishpointer AR app to see if the satellite was positioned in the same part of the sky each time, and whilst there was a little difference in each check, on each occasion the satellite was above the ridgeline of my neighbour. By the time I had fitted the dish, and was ready to begin aligning it, the app was consistently showing the satellite below the ridgeline. Grrr!

Now repositioned at the end of the wall with line of sight, but compass apps on the ipad are also suspect as well for the same reasons (after all I need to be precise in my alignment), so I really do need to by a decent (ie orienteering compass) to align it correctly.

Off to the 1000S board for my issue (which isn't exactly Humax specific ...)

Alan..

| Thu 7 Mar 2013 12:35:30 #1 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.