My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

High Pressure - box showing no signal!

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SarahN

I know there is probably nothing to be done about this, but just wanted to know how many other folks are affected. With the very high pressure over the UK right now, I cannot get most of my HD channels on my box. Just has that 'no signal' yellow message thing.

My new TV is fine however. It's amazing the difference in how they fare in this kind of weather isn't it. I like my box but find this sensitivity to atmospheric conditions rather annoying. I wonder if other makes of recordable boxes are as bad?

| Sun 19 Jan 2020 11:28:54 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SarahN - 1 hour ago  » 
    I know there is probably nothing to be done about this, but just wanted to know how many other folks are affected. With the very high pressure over the UK right now, I cannot get most of my HD channels on my box. Just has that 'no signal' yellow message thing.
    My new TV is fine however. It's amazing the difference in how they fare in this kind of weather isn't it. I like my box but find this sensitivity to atmospheric conditions rather annoying. I wonder if other makes of recordable boxes are as bad?

All Freeview kit connected to the same aerial will be similar. You could try reducing the signal level using a variable attenuator. The problem is down to UHF TV signals travelling further in high pressure conditions. If a distant transmitter uses the same frequency as yours and it is now receivable the two interfere with each other. Reducing the level might mean the unwanted signals are reduced enough such that the tuner can reject the unwanted signals. Alternatively moving the aerial to a location that your building shields the aerial from the unwanted source. A higher quality aerial with a superior front to back rejection capability might help if the signals are picked up off the back of the aerial.

A bit of detective work is needed to identify which transmitter is likely to be causing the issue. A local aerial installer may know the name of the likely culprit.

The complete cure is a satellite dish and a Freesat box/TV. Satellite reception is immune to co-channel interference (CCI).

If your TV is fine then there's a good chance fitting the signal attenuator may solve the issue. The box may have more sensitive tuners than the TV so is more susceptible to the issue.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philex-Variable-TV-Signal-Attenuator/dp/B00L24G962/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=variable+TV+attenuator&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1579434872&sr=8-3

Reduce the signal level while viewing the quality reading until the quality starts to fall. Ideally the quality should be 100%.

No problem with my 5000T at the moment but that could be down to the frequencies used by Lark Stoke transmitter.

| Sun 19 Jan 2020 12:52:10 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SarahN

My TV which is connected to the box, is fine. I'm on the Mendip transmitter by the way.

So, something odd has happened. I felt so fed up that I thought I would just return the Humax as it's only 3 weeks old, and get a different make from my local store. I went into the setting to do a factory re-set (the full one that formats the hard drive). It started doing it, but then came up with a message saying it couldn't finish. So I just came out of the menu and I now have the channels back???? I have lost one recording I had but still have a scheduled one. Plus my players are all still signed in as me. It's almost like doing that has somehow re-set the box.

My signal on ITV HD is showing quality of 80% (this is usually 100% though and does go back up to that at times right now). Strength is showing 78.

Any thoughts as to what's happened?

| Sun 19 Jan 2020 13:29:01 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SarahN

So now it keeps going back to the 'no signal' message! Then back to the channel. So annoying

| Sun 19 Jan 2020 13:40:49 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

HumaxUKNW

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

SarahN - 1 hour ago  » 

The complete cure is a satellite dish and a Freesat box/TV. Satellite reception is immune to co-channel interference (CCI).

Which is why I double bank "important" programmes on Freesat & Freeview.....

Also, where I live, surrounded by trees, when the leaves get wet from rain, Freeview signal is compromised.

Of course, these days, on demand is a good backup.

Here in the NW, HP is not a source problem today.

| Sun 19 Jan 2020 14:13:23 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SarahN - 1 hour ago  » 
    My TV which is connected to the box, is fine. I'm on the Mendip transmitter by the way.
    So, something odd has happened. I felt so fed up that I thought I would just return the Humax as it's only 3 weeks old, and get a different make from my local store. I went into the setting to do a factory re-set (the full one that formats the hard drive). It started doing it, but then came up with a message saying it couldn't finish. So I just came out of the menu and I now have the channels back???? I have lost one recording I had but still have a scheduled one. Plus my players are all still signed in as me. It's almost like doing that has somehow re-set the box.
    My signal on ITV HD is showing quality of 80% (this is usually 100% though and does go back up to that at times right now). Strength is showing 78.
    Any thoughts as to what's happened?

Typical symptoms of CCI. Try the attenuator on the aerial input to the box to reduce the signal strength to about 60%. Does this stop the quality fluctuation ?

| Sun 19 Jan 2020 14:58:32 #6 |
  7. Trev

Trev

special member

@ SarahN DO NOT RETUNE. If you do,
    A. You will not know when the signal 'comes back' as the channel will likely be deleted from the tuning database.
    B. You will have to retune yet again to repopulate the tuning database when the signal'comes back' (which it will). But how will you know?

| Sun 19 Jan 2020 15:45:04 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.