My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Highlight HD content in EPG HDR FOX-T2

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

watcher

Hi.

On the SKY EPG it is possible to have HD programmes highlighted in orange (I am colour-blind and it looks red to me but that is fine).

Is something similar available with the EPG on the HDR FOX-T2? It is possible to sort the Freeview HD channels in their own group in its EPG, but I have yet to find a way of identifying if individual programmes are actually in HD, not even by using the "I" info button. I may of course be missing something obvious.

| Wed 15 Feb 2012 13:12:59 #1 |
  2. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

You can group them together by moving them about in your favorites list, But their Titles are probably the best clue, e.g. BBC1 HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD and Channel 4 HD ! !

OH, and the I-Plate does have a Blue HD Icon and a 1080 Icon

| Wed 15 Feb 2012 16:39:37 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

watcher

Thanks for the response ep.

My difficulty is not with identifying the HD channels (as you wrote there are their names, and they already have their own epg grouping).

I was enquiring about identifying HD programmes within the epg TV guide. Although only the HD-named channels transmit HD programmes those same channels also show some SD content.

I don't see the icons you refer to when pressing "I" for an epg entry. I do see them when pressing "I" when watching a programme.

Sometimes the epg I-plate does show (HD) at the end of its description but this is not always the case even when the programmes concerned is in fact HD. This of course may be attributable to the Broadcaster not accurately supplying the information.

A related issue if that the Manual states that if a recording is set for a programme on an SD channel and that programme is also available in HD on a corresponding HD channel there will be an on-screen alert message offering the viewer the option of recording the HD version instead. In my limited experience (only had the unit for a few weeks) this only works intermittently - again possibly down to information supplied by the broadcaster. Not a big problem in itself however.

| Wed 15 Feb 2012 17:51:54 #3 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

On that last point make sure you press OK on an EPG entry to get the prompt for the alternate HD version. Pressing Record will just set a timer for which ever channel you have selected.

As for the broadcaster not supplying accurate info then I fear that any colour coding of the EPG entries you see on Sky will be just as subject to errors on that front. Best you can do is always record from the HD channel.

But sometimes it is not always clear for BBC2/3/4 programmes etc if they are getting a later showing in HD on the BBC HD channel (all programmes on BBC HD are in HD BTW) if they happen to fall in the following Sat-Fri listings publishing week. That particular issue will go away once BBC HD morphs into BBC2 HD (or will it for programmes getting an earlier outing on BBC3/4? ). You can double-check a listing web site such as Radio Times if you are nor sure of course as they list two weeks ahead.

| Wed 15 Feb 2012 18:15:44 #4 |
  5. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

I think maybe your question is "how do I tell if the content of a HD channel is really in HD and not upscaled". If this is your question then for ITV1 HD there is an answer, because they put in the I-Program information either HD or Upscaled. BBC HD is at present supposed to be real HD only, But this channel is changing to BBC2 HD, So then I think it will become the same as BBC1 HD and Channel 4 HD that give no indication if a program is up-scaled from an SD source. The 4 HD channels are always in 1440X1080 or 1920X1080 but it may still have been filmed in 720X576

| Wed 15 Feb 2012 18:53:52 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

watcher

Thanks Gomez. I do record using OK as you suggest, so that is ok. I'm sure there are also errors on the SKY EPG, but I have checked some entries and see HD programmes correctly flagged as such on SKY but not on the Humax. I suspect SKY and Freeview data may be collected slightly differently. I agree about Radio Times but am probably being a little lazy.

ep - upscaling isn't really the issue. I had seen that ITV notes it in the I information as you describe.

Here is an example: Monday 20 Feb BBC HD - "Bullets, Boots and Bandages episode 3". SKY EPG highlights (by listing in Orange) it as HD and shows same from "info" button (I still have Sky until end this month). Humax EPG does not indicate anywhere (including I-plate) that it is HD and this was also the case for the first 2 episodes. I recorded those episodes on the Humax however and both were indeed in HD and flagged as such in Media list once recorded.

| Wed 15 Feb 2012 20:03:00 #6 |
  7. gomezz

gomezz

special member

BB&B ep 3 is flagged as HD on the Freestat EPG.

| Wed 15 Feb 2012 22:39:51 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

watcher

But not on Freeview. Thanks. Interesting. I will look for more clues (even if they lead to evidence of my misunderstanding).

| Wed 15 Feb 2012 23:05:43 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

watcher

This is what my checks so far reveal:

1. No obvious errors in SKY HD EPG.
    2. No instances on Humax HDR Fox-T2 Freeview EPG where content marked as HD proved to be SD (and when it was upscaled HD on ITV this had been shown in the I-pane when using the EPG).
    3. Numerous instances where the Humax Freeview EPG failed to flag content as HD when it fact it was. All of these were on BBC1 HD or BBC HD.
    4. In all cases where content was HD (even when not originally flagged as such in the Freeview EPG, including the EPG I-pane) the recordings were encrypted as HD and icons displayed correctly on the screen when playing.
    5. In all instances where when setting a recording on an SD channel when a HD version was also available but no alert appeared, the HD version was not flagged as such anywhere in the Freeview EPG.

I have also seen some apparent errors in the online Radio Times but need to look at these more closely.

Of course I man not have checked a large enough number of programmes for all or any of the above to be conclusive.

| Thu 16 Feb 2012 8:53:09 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

watcher

Over hasty in my last post so please disregard and read this instead. May be talking to myself but good to have somewhere to record this while I try to understand it.

This is what my checks so far reveal:

1. No obvious errors in SKY HD EPG.

2. No instances on Humax HDR Fox-T2 Freeview EPG where content marked as HD proved to be SD (and when it was upscaled HD on ITV this had been shown in the I-pane when using the EPG).

3. Numerous instances where the Humax Freeview EPG failed to flag content as HD when it fact it was. Most of these so far have been on BBC1 HD and BBC HD, but some on 4HD.

4. In all cases where content was HD (even when not originally flagged as such in the Freeview EPG, including the EPG I-pane) the recordings were encrypted as HD and icons displayed correctly on the screen when playing.

5. In all instances where when setting a recording on an SD channel a HD version was also available but no alert appeared, the HD version was not flagged as such anywhere in the Freeview EPG.

6. When viewing SD programmes on HD channels the I-pane shows them as being HD. Similarly when SD programmes are recorded from a HD channel they show as being encrypted as HD.

I have also seen some apparent inconsistencies in the online Radio Times but need to look at these more closely.

Of course I may not have checked a large enough number of programmes for all or any of the above to be conclusive.

| Thu 16 Feb 2012 13:52:18 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.