My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

HMS-1000T file recovery advice needed

(2 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rassilon256

Hi all,

It seems like there’s a lot more expertise here than I’ll get if I call Humax Australia so all help gratefully appreciated.

My HMS-1000T (4tune) has been getting very close to full and last night I went to check it still had space for a few more shows overnight. Instead I found it getting ready to format the drive. I hit the power switch as I didn’t see any less drastic options. Unfortunately I was too late, when I turned it back on it said I had no recordings.

However, it still had guide data and scheduled recordings, and it says the drive is nearly full. My hope is that it has only erased whatever data it used to organise the recordings.

I know the drive is a Seagate SATA unit so I’m thinking I can remove it, put a read-only jumper onto it and use an adapter set to hook it up to a PC as an external drive. I’m hoping people here can supply me some helpful information:

1. What file system do Humax use? I know they suggest user-connected drives be NTFS.
    2. What format are recordings in? If the file system is gone I might be recovering them the hard way.
    3. Is any of the system software stored on the drive? This might take a while so I’d like to be able to just drop a new 1TB drive in to get the machine back in service.

Thanks in advance!

| Tue 20 Aug 2019 22:39:32 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The file system is likely to be Linux EXT 3. You will either have to boot your PC into linux (you can get free Linux distros and boot from a usb stick).

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

Based on UK models the operating system is in NVram. That's why you can fit a new disk and the box will set it up and even restore your recording schedule.

Again based on UK models.

Recordings are stored in a transport stream container and have side car support files with the same name and different file extensions.

Whats in the .ts container varies with channel and platform

Satellite HD Video is H264/AVC (1080i) - Audio is Dolby Digital (ac3) either 2.0 (stereo) or 5.1 as broadcast Audio Description is a seperate Mpeg1 layer 2 2.0 audio

Satellite SD Video is mpeg2 (576i) - Audio is mpeg1 layer 2.0

Terrestrial HD (DVB-T2 modulation) HD Video is H264/AVC Mixed 1080i and 1080p25). Audio is AAC (Advanced audio codec).

Provided the .ts isn't encrypted you can get all this info using the Free MediaInfo software. Switch view to tree to see all the info - It can be exported to a text file.

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

| Wed 21 Aug 2019 8:52:09 #2 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.