My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

How does AV2HDR work

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

donmaico

Hi I am new on this forum .Anyway i was wondering how this programme works because after installing iton my MAC I cant seem to be able to open it.There is no menu facility that I can see .Its in my application folder but 2 double clicking on it does nothing.
    I assume it is meant to enable me to view video files through my Fox sat HDR .I asos assume that signal is transmitted from the modem though a pair of those contraptions that plug in the mains sockets at both ends
    thanks

| Tue 26 Mar 2013 9:36:28 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The Foxsat requires 3 files to play back video, all have the same name but have file extensions .ts (the audio and video) and two support files (sidecar) files with .nts and .htm extensions. The programme creates these files from your own files, allowing the Foxsat to treat the content as if it was recorded on it. The windows version when run with the custom firmware allows you to transfer these directly to the Foxsat's HDD. afaik the Mac version does not. You have to copy the 3 files to a usb device and plug this into the Foxsat. You can then either replay from usb or transfer the files to the hard disc.

You need someone with experience of Macs to sort out why it won't run on yours. If you have access to a windows machine try it on that.

Welcome to the forum

When you run the executable it should look like this

Attachments

1. AV2HDR.jpg (80.7 KB, 3 downloads) 11 years old
    | Tue 26 Mar 2013 10:21:28 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

donmaico

thank you for that. I await to see if anyone else here uses a Mac as i dont have a pc.As I said at the moment I cam to do anything with it so struggle to understand why there is a downloadable verson for Mac which cannot be utilised unless one also needs a third party programme

| Tue 26 Mar 2013 10:29:31 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

donmaico

well I finally managed to ,as you suggested, "run the executables"( sorry I have no idea what that means) after installing Monoframework programme.Now I guess i would need to know what to do next? Very similar except it does not have a HDR destination folder at the bottom

| Tue 26 Mar 2013 10:54:59 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

donmaico - 13 minutes ago  » 
    well I finally managed to ,as you suggested, "run the executables"( sorry I have no idea what that means) after installing Monoframework programme.Now I guess i would need to know what to do next? Very similar except it does not have a HDR destination folder at the bottom

An executable is a file that runs as a programme rather than just a data file. On a PC it will normally have a .exe extension. Basically read the help files as to which source files are suitable. Pull down the file menu, open a suitable file, fill in the boxes, indicate where the output should be saved (defaults to source file location). Press go.

As I said the PC version has the capability to create the files directly on the Foxsat, hence the extra dialogue box.

| Tue 26 Mar 2013 11:13:14 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

donmaico

I dont think its going to work for me in this instance,I tried to drop a web file into that box and it wouldnt have it.My intention was to stream video associated with the web address via the Fox sat

| Tue 26 Mar 2013 13:30:32 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

donmaico - 29 minutes ago  » 
    I dont think its going to work for me in this instance,I tried to drop a web file into that box and it wouldnt have it.My intention was to stream video associated with the web address via the Fox sat

It can't stream anything. You have to have a local file on your computer with the following specifications.

SD Video 576
    Width 720 pixels
    Height 576 pixels

SD Video 720
    Width 1280 pixels
    Height 720 pixels

HD Video 1080
    Width 1920 pixels
    Height 1080 pixels

Other sizes have been encoded and successfully played back on the HDR,
    (The horizontal, or vertical resolution is then stretched by the HDR to fill the screen area).
    However, this is very much a case of trial and error. The above sizes are the only ones guaranteed to work.

Video format MPEG-2 or H264
    H264 codec profile max High@L4
    Aspect ratio 16/9.
    Scan type progressive or interlaced
    Frame rate 23.976, 25, or 29.97 frames per second.

Audio SD or HD
    MPEG1 layer 2 or Dolby AC3.

Supported containers for A/V streams are .TS .MTS .M2TS .MPG and .VOB.
    You can drag and drop your video anywhere in AV2HDR's window. If the container format is supported it will display streams information. However, that does not guarantee playback on the HDR. The video and audio streams must also match the above specifications.

Please Note: For HD playback on the HDR, the source H264 video stream must contain NAL units of type SEI, and in the correct order. i.e the SEI unit must precede the Pic Slice. Video streams created using applications which use the FFmpeg x264 codec are known to be incompatible with the HDR as they are encoded without any SEI units at all.

A freeware application, meGUI has been used successfully to create compatible H264 streams from other video formats.

AV2HDR cannot, and never will, import other video formats such as .AVI .DIVX .WMV .MOV
    These must first be re-encoded to the above specifications using the software of your choice. There is an abundance of software re-encoders available for this purpose.

| Tue 26 Mar 2013 14:02:19 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

donmaico

thank you for all that

| Tue 26 Mar 2013 22:09:06 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

grahamlthompson - 1 day ago  » FFmpeg x264 codec are known to be incompatible with the HDR as they are encoded without any SEI units at all.
    [/QUOTE]

I take issue with that - I've used Handbrake to create H.264 files, and that uses x264 to transcode. The only time it didn't work was when I was using variable frame rate - as soon as I switched to constant I had no problems. Case in point, my 1.08GB transcode of Shameless from last night plays just as well as the original TS file still on the Foxsat-HDR's hard drive. Original AC3 stereo audio, transcoded video from 1080i50 to 1080p25. Looks nearly identical even though the bitrate is 1/3 of the original

| Thu 28 Mar 2013 0:18:21 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

zeke - 10 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 day ago  » FFmpeg x264 codec are known to be incompatible with the HDR as they are encoded without any SEI units at all.
    [/QUOTE]

I take issue with that - I've used Handbrake to create H.264 files, and that uses x264 to transcode. The only time it didn't work was when I was using variable frame rate - as soon as I switched to constant I had no problems. Case in point, my 1.08GB transcode of Shameless from last night plays just as well as the original TS file still on the Foxsat-HDR's hard drive. Original AC3 stereo audio, transcoded video from 1080i50 to 1080p25. Looks nearly identical even though the bitrate is 1/3 of the original

You need to take that up with Raydon. The quote is from the programme help files.

| Thu 28 Mar 2013 10:45:15 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.