My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

How many bugs does a new 5000T have?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rodmac1951

I've had an HDR-FoxT2 for years that's been trouble free until recently when it gave up the ghost. I'd tried a 5000t when they first came out but it was so buggy you could hardly use it so it went back. Thinking Humax MUST have solved most problems by now I bought another one - after 2 days it looks like Humax have done nothing in 3 years! I seem to have encountered many of the problems listed on this forum in just one days use. This is what I've found so far (not in any particular order):

1) The volume fluctuates significantly between channels and even worse between HD & SD programmes. Tried changing sound settings on this device, the TV and my av receiver, some improvement on some channels makes other channels worse.

2) Randomly freezes, sometimes for a few seconds other times so long I have to turn the box off & on. Haven't identified any one action that causes it.

3) The screen transparency for information seems to have reversed itself so the writing is virtually impossible to read.

4) Unable to access the home page so can't get into the menu.

5) When scrolling the EPG guide the last line of the current page is repeated and becomes the first line of the next page. Not sure if this is a feature (stupid as it is) or a bug but what's the point other than making you scroll up again just to get past the line you were already on. Nothing scrolls like that on a computer!

6) Lip-sync is awful. Like the volume problem if I change the delay on any device it may work for some channels but makes others worse.

As others seem to have reported them, albeit only 1 or 2 at a time mainly, are these known issues by Humax and if so are they addressing them. Do I have faulty box? If I send it back however I don't have a working PVR and that's not a good scenario with the missus and all that... can I still get a working FoxT2 anywhere?

I've checked the software and I'm definitely on the latest version but if anyone can help with any of these issues I'd be pleased to hear from them. Before throwing the towel in so early I'd like to try and rectify any faults that can be rectified so over to you!

| Thu 5 Mar 2020 21:14:28 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

No such box as a 500TT

1 is down to your TV not the box. The HDR-Fox-T2 will do exactly the same. Guessing you had made the following change and simply don't remember it.

1 HD channels use AAC audio. SD ones use Mpeg1 layer 2 audio. On output the audio is converted to Dolby Digital. The box is able to control the volume level using the volume control on the remote. In settings audio change the HDMI out digital audio out to Stereo. All channels will now have the same audio level, though you ought to turn down the volume level of your TV and turn up the Volume level of the box to near max. Now turn to a HD channel and adjust the volume level of your TV to a similar level.

From here you should not notice any difference on any channel. This should fix 6 at the same time.

5 is completely normal. It's the way most Windows word processing apps work provided you use the page down command and not the line down command. As you cannot see the last line till you scroll down a full page.

Basically you are scrolling one line at a time. Press the channel down button to scroll to the top of the next full page. Channel up reverses the page scroll.

The same approach works in the recording list.

4 and 6 is a brand new issue. Not experienced this so it must be a brand new bug.

Afaik know there has not been a recent software update. So could be a hardware change on newer boxes. Humax need to address this.

| Thu 5 Mar 2020 23:18:42 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

rodmac1951

grahamlthompson - 10 hours ago  » 
    No such box as a 500TT
    1 is down to your TV not the box. The HDR-Fox-T2 will do exactly the same. Guessing you had made the following change and simply don't remember it.
    1 HD channels use AAC audio. SD ones use Mpeg1 layer 2 audio. On output the audio is converted to Dolby Digital. The box is able to control the volume level using the volume control on the remote. In settings audio change the HDMI out digital audio out to Stereo. All channels will now have the same audio level, though you ought to turn down the volume level of your TV and turn up the Volume level of the box to near max. Now turn to a HD channel and adjust the volume level of your TV to a similar level.
    From here you should not notice any difference on any channel. This should fix 6 at the same time.
    5 is completely normal. It's the way most Windows word processing apps work provided you use the page down command and not the line down command. As you cannot see the last line till you scroll down a full page.
    Basically you are scrolling one line at a time. Press the channel down button to scroll to the top of the next full page. Channel up reverses the page scroll.
    4 and 6 is a brand new issue. Not experienced this so it must be a brand new bug.
    Afaik know there has not been a recent software update. So could be a hardware change on newer boxes. Humax need to address this.

Thanks Graham.

500tt was a typo but I can't see how to edit it now? (Admin Edit done)

Item 1: Now you mention it I do seem to remember playing about with the volumes on the Fox-T2 but it was so long ago I didn't make the connection. However, if I adjust the 5000T and TV volumes like you say I have to turn the amp up much higher than normal to get a sensible volume. It equalises the volumes across the different devices but sets everything at a low volume. If it's not the box though I guess I'll have to get used to it.

Item 6: It hasn't cured the lipsync problem. This too was an issue on the Fox-T2 although nowhere near so bad. I've tried adjusting the delay on the box itself, the amp and the tv and I've arrived at something more acceptable. I'll tweak it and see what happens.

Item 5: This was definitely not how my PC scrolls but here's thing, I disconnected the power and re-booted and the scrolling was Ok, switching the page as you'd expect, so something was awry before?

The re-boot has also solved items 2,3 & 4 so things are how they should be I guess. It's just a pity it doesn't work straight out of the box.

Thanks for your advice.

| Fri 6 Mar 2020 10:05:57 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rodmac1951 - 1 hour ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 10 hours ago  » 
    No such box as a 500TT

Thanks Graham.
    500tt was a typo but I can't see how to edit it now?
    Item 1: Now you mention it I do seem to remember playing about with the volumes on the Fox-T2 but it was so long ago I didn't make the connection. However, if I adjust the 5000T and TV volumes like you say I have to turn the amp up much higher than normal to get a sensible volume. It equalises the volumes across the different devices but sets everything at a low volume. If it's not the box though I guess I'll have to get used to it.
    Item 6: It hasn't cured the lipsync problem. This too was an issue on the Fox-T2 although nowhere near so bad. I've tried adjusting the delay on the box itself, the amp and the tv and I've arrived at something more acceptable. I'll tweak it and see what happens.
    Item 5: This was definitely not how my PC scrolls but here's thing, I disconnected the power and re-booted and the scrolling was Ok, switching the page as you'd expect, so something was awry before?
    The re-boot has also solved items 2,3 & 4 so things are how they should be I guess. It's just a pity it doesn't work straight out of the box.
    Thanks for your advice.

You forgot to turn up the box volume to max using the box remote control. After that use your TV remote control to vary the volume.

| Fri 6 Mar 2020 11:09:42 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Davet30

I must say I've not experienced ANY of the above issues. (Or because they are trivial I've not noticed em). Having said that, I've experienced many more.
    1 - Often in the epg most channels have no data. This appears to be intermittent in both frequency and channels effected.
    2 - occasionally a recording program will stop recording for no apparent reason resulting in a 'broken' cassette tape symbol next to the recorded program in the play back screen.
    3 - occasionally we find programs have been recorded which neither of us recall programming for recording?
    4 - when switching my TV source to the Humax we find subtitles are on when we have not selected that option?
    5 - occasionally the whole system will not respond to ANY request on the Hdd be it a playback, recording or rewind live TV? This results in having to unplug the power lead from the back and rebooting it.

So the other month I put live tv on pause during a comfort break and all by itself it jumped to live tv. At first I thought it was because the set allowable cache for pause had been reached but no. Checking the recorded programs ( in excess of 200) it showed "no recordings" so I checked settings and it said hdd 0gb available, recorded, etc so I tried both check hdd and format and neither worked. I stripped out the hdd and tried a spare I had laying around from an old PC. A totally different error message saying no hdd detected. I put the original hdd back in (although not secured with the fixings and left the lid loose. I've noticed the heatsink on the processor isn't secured very well, and gets VERY hot. I was resigned to the fact that I needed a replacement system. Yesterday, when I turned the Humax on from standby a message popped up saying g the network needed updating. After that process the 'lost' recordings had re- appeared!! - I didn't have time to do anything much as I had to nip to work. Since then the system appears to have reverted back to the original fault. I'm convinced the fault is a software/firmware fault and not a hdd fault (although the hdd is very warm it's nowhere near as hot has the heatsink.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

| Sat 7 Mar 2020 20:45:59 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

grahamlthompson - 3 days ago  » 
    Afaik know there has not been a recent software update.

I wondered about that because tonight my 5000-T had recorded the two 30 minute Sky News programmes between 17:00 and 18:00 as always and when the 17:00 programme finished it automatically began to play the 17:30 programme.

I almost fell of my chair!

The end of a segment always results in a jerky return to the "Recorded Programmes" window which obscures the picture of the currently tuned channel that immediately begins to play. Never before has the box played two episodes of anything automatically.

| Mon 9 Mar 2020 21:38:55 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Marius - 20 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 3 days ago  » 
    Afaik know there has not been a recent software update.

I wondered about that because tonight my 5000-T had recorded the two 30 minute Sky News programmes between 17:00 and 18:00 as always and when the 17:00 programme finished it automatically began to play the 17:30 programme.
    I almost fell of my chair!
    The end of a segment always results in a jerky return to the "Recorded Programmes" window which obscures the picture of the currently tuned channel that immediately begins to play. Never before has the box played two episodes of anything automatically.

That suggests a broadcaster CRID code issue. Can you check if the repeat recording was from a +1 channel of the same programme.

For some reason there is epidemic of similar events (don't panic nothing to do with coranvirus

Most likely explanation is the broadcaster used the same series CRID for the +1 repeat and failed to provide a different Programme CRID for the repeat thus creating a new episode even though it's the same episode.

There are ways to check this, but not for content already transmitted. News programmes are the main offenders due to the short programme content. Other than using a manual recording repeat pattern, or getting the broadcaster to use the correct CRID's and transmit the correct timing for the change of running status to the next programme there is nothing you can do. The system is designed this way. The 5000T allows you to set a manual recording with a repeat pattern.

| Mon 9 Mar 2020 22:16:59 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

grahamlthompson - 1 day ago  » Can you check if the repeat recording was from a +1 channel of the same programme. For some reason there is epidemic of similar events (don't panic nothing to do with coranvirus

Most likely explanation is the broadcaster used the same series CRID for the +1 repeat and failed to provide a different Programme CRID for the repeat thus creating a new episode even though it's the same episode.

I'm pretty clueless and wouldn't know how to check - especially as the programmes are now deleted. But it was back to normal today and I had to start replay of the 17:30 broadcast manually.

| Wed 11 Mar 2020 0:54:27 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.