My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

How to delete a recording using Telnet???

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JeffPHurst

Hi!

After a series of problems with the box we have, I have overcome most of them, but this last one remains an issue...

We have a recording that is not in a folder, is tagged with ENC and refuses to be deleted by any means at all. We have tried OPT+, deleting the file at the start, middle and end of playback and have combed this forum for help in deleting the file.

The ONLY option left (unless you know a trick that is not mentioned anywhere else in these forum pages) is to delete it using the RM command over TELNET.

I can find the correct set of 4 files OK, but want to know that simply deleting the 4 files (.ts etc.) will remove the recording, free up the used disk space, and cause no indexing problems etc. so that all of the other recordings can be viewed and accessed still.

Has anyone deleted files safely using Telnet?

Is it as straight forward as I suggest it should be?

All help is welcome!

Many thanks! (and Happy New Year)

| Tue 1 Jan 2013 19:30:04 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Sounds odd, have you protected the recording somehow ?

FTP delete works fine to remove files, never had any problem using it and can't see why telnet wouldn't work as well.

There are usually 3 files - ts, nts and hmt. Is the 4th file really a sub directory containing the thumbnails (.tac)? I think you'd need to empty it first before removing it or use rm with extra flags like -rf.

| Tue 1 Jan 2013 19:51:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JeffPHurst

Hi!

No - it hasn't been protected in anyway, and its file settings are the same as all the other files in the directory. It is just another quirk of dodgy software.

Good to know it is safe just to delete the files with RM over telnet though. I was concerned it would mess up some index somewhere and we would loose everythign recorded.

Thanks!

| Tue 1 Jan 2013 23:28:54 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A bit of a guess here but I think you may have a filing system problem as you mention that the file settings are the same as the other files. Telnet is a good path to take with the rm path/filename command - note the response to the command.

If you receive an error I suggest using the custom firmware diskfix package.

| Wed 2 Jan 2013 8:27:16 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dandnsmith

There are usually 3 files - ts, nts and hmt. Is the 4th file really a sub directory containing the thumbnails (.tac)? I think you'd need to empty it first before removing it or use rm with extra flags like -rf.

For directories and contents you can use rm -r, but do check you know what this does first.

| Wed 2 Jan 2013 9:40:57 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

You can use telnet, however it's always better to let the box sort itself out first before manual intervention.
    I have a recording or a folder every now and again thatI cannot delete. When I look, the delete option is greyed out.
    What always works for me is to put the box in standby, wait for the blue ring to change to orange, disk can be heard during this time and it can take 15 - 20 minutes to properly go into standby. The temptation to push butons or physically power off is great whilst I'm waiting.

Once in standby, power-off at back or socket and switch back on again. You should be able to delete stuck media files

This always works for me and takes patience. If it didn't work I'd be installing the custom firmware and deleting from there, last resort would be the rm command

| Wed 2 Jan 2013 16:43:56 #6 |
  7. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

Greyed out files can be caused by playing back a recording and then exiting without using 'STOP' the solution is to play the file again on the Humax and then press STOP before going to the OPT+ delete option. If it is still greyed out you won't do any harm by telnetting and using rm to remove all files that start with the same name but have different endings e.g. name.ts name.nts name.htm etc.

| Wed 2 Jan 2013 18:38:31 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.