My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

How to Eject USB on Foxsat HDR

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

TimK2011

Hi Folks

Is there an 'eject USB drive' feature on the Foxsat HDR? I used to back up recordings to USB a while ago but have forgotten if this exists or whether it's just a case of shut down the recorder and then remove the drive. I know it exists on the Fox T2 and the 1800/2000 series of recorders.

Cheers

TimK

| Sun 25 Aug 2019 14:24:39 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

TimK2011 - 9 mins ago  » 
    Hi Folks
    Is there an 'eject USB drive' feature on the Foxsat HDR? I used to back up recordings to USB a while ago but have forgotten if this exists or whether it's just a case of shut down the recorder and then remove the drive. I know it exists on the Fox T2 and the 1800/2000 series of recorders.
    Cheers
    TimK

No, You can't back up your recordings to USB anyway.

| Sun 25 Aug 2019 14:36:04 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

I've not used it to copy recordings myself since I installed the custom firmware but the manual states that a USB device can be used for archiving recordings. See page GB9 & GB11. I think I used USB in the early days for archiving recordings, but as far as I recall there was no option to safely eject a device.

| Sun 25 Aug 2019 15:50:53 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

dino - 3 hours ago  » 
    I've not used it to copy recordings myself since I installed the custom firmware but the manual states that a USB device can be used for archiving recordings. See page GB9 & GB11. I think I used USB in the early days for archiving recordings, but as far as I recall there was no option to safely eject a device.

Sorry missed this was a FOXSAT and not a HDR-1000S series thread.

| Sun 25 Aug 2019 19:00:20 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

TimK2011

Thanks for the replies.

I've been using FTP on Ubuntu to backup the recordings I want to archive and have switched to Linux Mint as v14.04 is out of support. The version of Filezilla on Mint gives up after 2.2GB for some reason so I returned to using a USB drive for the larger recordings.

| Sun 25 Aug 2019 23:35:34 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

TimK2011 - 15 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the replies.
    I've been using FTP on Ubuntu to backup the recordings I want to archive and have switched to Linux Mint as v14.04 is out of support. The version of Filezilla on Mint gives up after 2.2GB for some reason so I returned to using a USB drive for the larger recordings.

What file system is the usb drive formatted with ?

| Mon 26 Aug 2019 14:46:18 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

TimK2011

Graham

The USB drive is formatted as FAT32 which allows file sizes up to 4GB, I believe. As yet I have not reached this limit. The 2.2GB problem occurs when using Filezilla in Linux Mint 18/18.1 to copy files by FTP from the Foxsat. I find it strange that it worked fine with Ubuntu 14.04 but not with Mint which is based on Ubuntu 16! It's only on the odd occasion that the file size exceeds 2.2GB so it's not a great inconvenience.

Regards

TimK

| Mon 26 Aug 2019 16:40:16 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

TimK2011 - 55 mins ago  » 
    The 2.2GB problem occurs when using Filezilla in Linux Mint 18/18.1 to copy files by FTP from the Foxsat. I find it strange that it worked fine with Ubuntu 14.04 but not with Mint which is based on Ubuntu 16!

I take it you are copying from the Humax to the PC on to a drive formatted with a Linux file system? What version of Filezilla is it?

| Mon 26 Aug 2019 17:37:38 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

TimK2011

I'm copying from the Humax to a USB formatted as NTFS attached to the PC although the same problem occurs when copying to the PC's HDD which is formatted as EXT4 by the Linux Mint installation. Filezilla is v3.15 from the software repository.

| Tue 27 Aug 2019 9:12:02 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

TimK2011 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I'm copying from the Humax to a USB formatted as NTFS attached to the PC although the same problem occurs when copying to the PC's HDD which is formatted as EXT4 by the Linux Mint installation. Filezilla is v3.15 from the software repository.

On that basis I would have said the problem is at the Humax end. Can any FOXSAT owner confirm? If you install the custom firmware for the FOXSAT there is an alternative FTP server available.

| Tue 27 Aug 2019 10:20:13 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.