My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Other Humax Products

Humax 7500T Australia - setup difficulties

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

peterm157

Hello to all,

This post is my first to the Humax Forum. Thank you for having me along. I'm in Perth, Western Australia where it has been 40 degrees today.

I purchased our Humax 7500T about eight years ago, messed about with it briefly and managed to record a few programs off the television, then lost interest in it. I doubt the initial set ran—probably user error I suspect.

The Humax is connected to a fully functional Samsung Smart TV. The 7500T is connected to the TV with an HDMI, cable, antenna and network cable (not wi-fi).

With some free time over Christmas, I thought it might be an opportunity to get the unit going as it would be nice to record programs while watching something else.

My problem is: I cannot even get the TV Portal on the screen to show up. The batteries in the Humax remote are fresh, and the remote lights up when pressing its buttons.

I seem to recall not getting the initial setup to run when I purchased the unit, and that sounds right because only TV one channel is available. I've no idea how to get the Humax remote to access the TV screen to start a reset running.

The only thing I have not tried is to try to access the Humax via a double-ended USB cable through the USB port. I tried the HDMI cable connected to a laptop, but that didn't allow me to access the inner workings of the Humax.

I don't recall receiving a CD-ROM or USB stick for the initial setup, but it was a while back so there may have been one of those in the box that I missed.

There may be a simple solution, and I'd rate myself as a confident computer user under most circumstances, but not this situation, I am afraid!

Even if the Humax did not connect to the TV, I would be happy to attach it to my computer as extra memory.

I wish you all the very best for Christmas and the New Year.

Many thanks,

Peter M

| Thu 24 Dec 2020 9:47:02 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

Hello and welcome from a cool (4C) and wet (flooding localy) East Anglia.
    7500T ?
    A quick google found....

https://support.icetv.com.au/hc/en-us/articles/227080967-Humax-has-no-guide-is-unreliable-How-to-reset?mobile_site=true

| Thu 24 Dec 2020 11:11:16 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Hello Peter and Welcome.
    The 7500T is not a model we know here. However I may be able to offer some suggestions.
    You mention "The 7500T is connected to the TV with an HDMI, cable, antenna and network cable (not wi-fi)."

The Humax should be firstly connected to the Antenna and then to the TV or the Antenna can be split and go to the Humax and TV. To see what the Humax is showing you need to select the correct TV HDMI port via the TV remote.

I would expect that you would have either a setup or home button on the Humax remote and from there you should find a route to initialise setup.

Hope that is some help.

| Thu 24 Dec 2020 11:13:47 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

peterm157 - 6 hours ago  » 
    The 7500T is connected to the TV with an HDMI, cable, antenna and network cable (not wi-fi).

Are you saying that you have a network cable connecting the TV and Humax? That doesn't sound right to me; the network cable from the Humax should be connected to the router.

| Thu 24 Dec 2020 15:53:17 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

peterm157

Hi again, it's Peter from Western Australia once again. Thanks to Repassac, Bogbody and Martin for their advice.

I have downloaded and printed out a complete set of instructions and am working off those. The problem starts when I power the unit on, I can get a Humax screen to appear on my television for perhaps 30 seconds but then it drops out again with a message that says something like 'no connection to HDMI2'.

I am trying various combinations of connections. The cables connecting the TV and the Humax are (1) Antenna cable (2) HDMI cable (3) Internet cable from the router. The router is in another room and behind the TV there is a box on the wall with an outlet. I have an internet sharing box there with the TV and the Humax plugged into that with my blue cables.

It seems to me that the unit needs to be reset and I will persist and report back. On a page for the 7500T on the Humax Forum another members said they'd had success by tapping on the right hand two silver buttons on the right hand side of the unit, I'm now heading off to try that.

Failing the above I will try the manufacturer if Support still operates.

Many thanks

Peter

| Fri 25 Dec 2020 11:44:02 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

peterm157 - 1 day ago  » 
    My problem is: I cannot even get the TV Portal on the screen to show up.

In the UK we also have a similar model also from 2010, (HDR-FOX T2).
    From your description I'm not sure of the exact fault you are having.
    Is the issue that nothing from the HDR-7500T is showing on your TV screen?

What is showing on the front of the HDR-75000T when you start it up? There should be a coloured ring which like the UK model appears to be blue when switched on and not recording, and also a 12 character display to the left of the coloured ring.

If neither of those are showing then have you set the 0/1 rocker switch at the back to "1"? Or is it still switched to "0" from when you last packed it up?

With the HDR-7500T switched on and the front display showing the blue ring have you picked up your Samsung TV remote and made sure that the TV is switched to the correct HDMI port?

| Fri 25 Dec 2020 12:16:37 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

peterm157

Hi Luke,

In response to your question about the On/Off switch on the back of the unit, yes, that has been in regular use, restarting the Humax to give it another attempt at rebooting.

When the Humax reboots, I get a 'Humax' screen on the TV for about 30 seconds then the TV and the Humax unit seem to lose contact with one another again. When I say a Humax screen, it's a grey coloured screen with HUMAX in large letters. Pressing the TV Portal button on the remote, or any other button has no effect.

No wonder I found this too hard a few years back! In the morning I will have a look in my box of spares for a startup CD or USB stick that I might be missing.

Apologies for taking up your time on this, it's Christmas and you should all be chilling out. Not us down here through as the temperature has been 38-40 degrees.

All the best to everyone.

Cheers

Peter

| Fri 25 Dec 2020 14:07:40 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

Its chill(y) here 6C and a nice sunny day. Lunch is cooking and will be served in about half an hour

It does sound like the firmware wants updating/re-installing .... be on the wine and Baileys shortly so the ammount of sense you get from us might get a bit low .... until tomorrow morning

| Fri 25 Dec 2020 14:26:05 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

A couple of questions to try to move this issue forward:

peterm157 - 1 day ago  » 
    When the Humax reboots, I get a 'Humax' screen on the TV for about 30 seconds then the TV and the Humax unit seem to lose contact with one another again. When I say a Humax screen, it's a grey coloured screen with HUMAX in large letters.

The grey screen is the loader screen for the actual software.
    While its attempting to do its job the 12 character display in the front of the HDR-7500T will show "START SYSTEM". It may be very difficult to see if the HDR-7500T as in time the display burns out and fades. Yo may have to wait until dark to see it. (I managed to loacte a photo of an HDR-7500T displaying the message and so I know that it is the same as the UK's HDR-FOX T2.)
    Once the loader has completed the message will change.
    What it changes it may well be a very big clue about what is happening.

What does the format say after the initial Humax splash/loader screen stops being displayed ?

peterm157 - 3 days ago  » 
    My problem is: I cannot even get the TV Portal on the screen to show up.

peterm157 - 1 day ago  » 
    Pressing the TV Portal button on the remote, or any other button has no effect.

The TV Portal isn't the most simple of functions. Probably the best button to initially try is the MENU button on the right hand side opposite the TV Portal button.
    After noting what the display shows on the front of the HDR-7500T what does that display change to when you tap the MENU button ?

peterm157 - 1 day ago  » 
    In the morning I will have a look in my box of spares for a startup CD or USB stick that I might be missing.

I doubt that the issue is caused by old software, it could be due to corrupt software, as bogbody implied earlier. If the displayed text on the front of the HDR-7500T doesn't give enough clues then it may be worthwhile trying. (But first please post what the front display on the HDR-7500T is showing during the various attempts to get the Humax to work.)

There are two ways to update the software. One is via the TV Portal but as you can't get to the initial screen there is currently no chance of that.
    The other is to download the software from Humax digital and transfer it the HDR-7500T via a FAT32 formatted (but not "quick" formatted) USB memory stick.

The download, and instructions, are available from
    https://au.humaxdigital.com/support/?category_id=12&product_id=2688&curr_page=sw_release
    There are 2 versions on that link. To see which one to download, reboot your HDR-7500T and on the load screen (the grey screen with Humax) look for loader version. On the UK model it is in the bottom left hand corner. If it begins a7.8 then you have the later HDR-7500T/V variation. If it begins a7.5 then you have the earlier variation.
    The instructions are on the download page. Just in case you aren't aware the HDR-7500T has a USB port on the back and also on the front. The front USB port is on the right near the base and is camouflaged by a flap.

| Sun 27 Dec 2020 15:16:11 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

peterm157

Submitting an update on setting up Australian Humax 7500T

Hi to everyone and especially Luke for the information he provided yesterday.

I managed to move the installation process forward yesterday and:

1. Was able to get through to the Settings screen and reinstalled the Humax on my network. The last installation showed up as 2015, which seems about right.

2. Part of my problem was using the Source function and selecting 'Player' to link it to the television. When I connected the video and audio cables, it was possible to select Component, and the installation proceeded.

3. The sound promptly dropped out, so I then downloaded from the Humax website, the two software updates available, identified which one was required and copied it onto an otherwise empty and formatted memory stick. The file I am about to try uploading is HDR-7500T

4. This morning's exercise will be to get the Humax to install the software update. The manual says to 'turn the Humax on while tapping the circular blue on/standby button until the letter R appears'. It's a shame the Software Update option in the menu does not allow a USB update from there. Selecting Manual and Automatic update, with the Humax connected to the network, did not find the required file.

More to follow, and once again thanks to you all as without your assistance to date, it would not have been possible to get this far.

Kind regards

Peter

| Mon 28 Dec 2020 3:53:42 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.