My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Humax box does not reboot itself each morning

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Norway

Have had this box for about 3 years. No problems until now.
    When I turn on the TV in the morning, the humax box does not boot up as it used to.
    I have to turn it off with switch at back, before it can be used

| Sun 24 Feb 2013 8:03:09 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Norway,

How did you turn on the HDR before it stopped ?

Using the Humax remote or front panel or some other means ?

If using the remote, when you press a button on the remote, the white PVR button should glow red. If it doesn't, briefly press the PVR button and try again.

Dino

| Sun 24 Feb 2013 9:10:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Norway

Still problems with box.
    I leave box on all the time, so it can do overnight recordings,

On next day, the box would normally be in sleep mode.
    I would re-activate it to reboot with remote control button.

Now the box has not gone into sleep mode and still displays my local station " BBC1 East (W)"

The box will no longer come on with the remote.
    I have to switch the box off at the back, to get it to go into reboot mode.

Has something happened, that I can just adjust.

| Sun 3 Mar 2013 10:15:08 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The unit should wakeup to do recordings automatically. Leaving it on all the time prevents certain essential maintenance activity, looking for new channels, Updating firmware, etc.

By default the unit will sleep after 3 hours.

| Sun 3 Mar 2013 14:15:12 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Repassac,

I have a FoxSat and I'm wondering about the essential maintenance activity that goes on overnight.

The looking for channels I can find manually and the firmware happens once a year. last one middle of last year, so I was wondering what the essential maintenance activity was that happens with my box overnight?

I've seen posts make reference to the essential maintenance activity or essential housekeeping overnight, but I still can't figure out what this actually is, any ideas? (apart from finding new channels or looking for firmware)

Back to Norway's post, it looks like his box used to go into standby, presumably after 3hrs or so and now it doesn't go into standby, freezes and needs a power cycle the next day to get it back to normal.
    I'd of though checking the box was on the latest firmware 1.00.21 from last July and updating if necessary, or a factory reset which won't affect recordings and lastly re-applying the last firmware would be the way forward. It'd be interesting to know whether the box reacts to manual control,i.e. the buttons on the box when it's not reacting to the remote control and is the box left on BBC1 East (W) the night before and what happens if it is left on another channel.

| Mon 4 Mar 2013 1:45:41 #5 |
  6. gomezz

gomezz

special member

One thing I think it does is put the bookmarks in your new recordings.

| Mon 4 Mar 2013 2:38:05 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Add to that the known activities, New firmware, Channel search full EPG update (so that when on holiday it does not forget after the 8 day EPG expires).
    It may do a lot more as it is not known when some activies happen (such as removing unmatched schedules after 13 weeks)

Housekeeping takes place at 03:00 daily.

The unit is designed to be manually put into standby when you go to bed.

| Mon 4 Mar 2013 9:08:34 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Thanks for the replies Gomezz and Repassac,

it looks like the important things housekeeping does on a day to day basis is update the EPG and schedule.

I'd assumed it did this when it was running normally or when it came out of standby for a recording, however if it's left in standby for over a week it'd have to wake up at some point to check, and populate/clear as necessary, against the 13 week unmatched schedule. This makes sense, thanks.

I don't think Norways box's problems are down to lack of housekeeping though, more likely software needing to be reset/cleared or environmental such as box too warm, something switching on/off close by causing a glitch.
    Physically switching it on/off at the back won't be doing the foxsat any good so I'd investigate software resetting/updating first. Another thing to try is changing the power-saving/automatic-standby so that it stays on overnight to see whether it freezes. The other thing is; I'd assumed the box had frozen, it maybe that the TV simply isn't displaying the foxsat when the TV is switched on, i.e. more hdmi issues as usual, which clear when the foxsat is power cycled.
    I think Norway needs to do a bit more investigation

| Mon 4 Mar 2013 11:29:58 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

If it was a HDMI issue you could tell as the Foxsat front panel would be showing the last channel viewed.

| Mon 4 Mar 2013 13:13:03 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.