My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Humax DTRT2100 (BT Youview+) Lockups

(59 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Le_Blur

An interesting 'official' post on the BT Community Forum regarding warranty on an eBay purchase. Fair comment to be honest.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/Buying-a-g4-2100-youview-via-eBay-who-is-the-warranty-guarantee/td-p/1307933/highlight/true/page/2

"Basically the answer is that any warranty that a trader or manufacturer provides when selling to a customer in the course of their business, would not automatically pass to a third party if the original customer sells the item in a private auction.

Firstly, the statutory entitlement of quality and fitness for purpose only applies when buying from someone who is 'acting in the course of a business’ – such as BT. Customers do not have any legal recourse as regards quality where they are buying through an individual who is selling an item as a one-off private sale (although they must have legal title and it must be as described in the advert).

Secondly, when buying second hand, there is a general recognition in law that the reduced price the customer pays reflects the risk in taking ownership of something with a greater likelihood of developing faults or breaking down completely. The customer pays less because it is recognised that they will have to pay the repair costs themselves rather than relying on the trader's or manufacturer's warranty.

The only situation where this would not be the case is where the individual selling the item has obtained prior consent from the trader or manufacturer to assign the benefit of the contract with the original purchaser, to another party. We have no record of any such request in this case, and even if we had received a request, we would be unlikely to agree to it for the reasons detailed above.

If the item broke down shortly after it was sold, it is possible that the final customer may have a claim against the seller on the grounds that the seller should have known that the item was already faulty and so mis-described it, but that is a difficult one to prove.

I trust this answer your question."

| Sun 3 Aug 2014 11:01:21 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Le_Blur

JamesB - 2 minutes ago  » 
    So you never got the on-screen display of the reset options?

No, not even close.

| Sun 3 Aug 2014 11:02:31 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

"Basically the answer is that any warranty that a trader or manufacturer provides when selling to a customer in the course of their business, would not automatically pass to a third party if the original customer sells the item in a private auction.
    Sorry if I've misunderstood, but I thought you bought the YouView box new from a retailer, not second-hand through a private auction.

If bought retail, your box doesn't have a warranty but it is covered by statutory consumer law. That's the basis on which you're entitled to redress from the seller if the box is faulty.

| Sun 3 Aug 2014 11:07:28 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Le_Blur

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but I thought you bought the YouView box new from a retailer, not second-hand through a private auction.
    If bought retail, your box doesn't have a warranty but it is covered by statutory consumer law. That's the basis on which you're entitled to redress from the seller if the box is faulty.

I bought my Youview box as new from eBay. The seller has sold lots of these boxes, including bundles of 4 for £249.99, as well as other telecoms/broadband/wireless kit.

| Sun 3 Aug 2014 12:23:25 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Le_Blur - 2 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

I bought my Youview box as new from eBay. The seller has sold lots of these boxes, including bundles of 4 for £249.99, as well as other telecoms/broadband/wireless kit.

Then it's covered by the statutory consumer protection. However, it might not be needed. First step (if you decide you want to return the box) would be to contact the seller and see what they say, and if that doesn't resolve things, I believe Ebay has a dispute resolution scheme.

You might be out of luck though if the box is not faulty - if the problem only shows up with Sony TVs. Worth trying it with a different make if you can.

Edit. If you bought it in an auction (rather than Buy It Now), and/ or if it might be classed as a private sale, you'd really need to get some advice about what your rights are. I believe consumer advice is now handled by the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

| Sun 3 Aug 2014 12:55:40 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Le_Blur

I've no problem with tackling the seller if it proves to be faulty. I believe I have a reasonable length of time to raise a case with eBay, if the seller proves troublesome.

My belief, at present, it that is most likely to be a compatibility issue over HDMI between the Humax made box and the Sony TV.

Worst case, at the moment, is that if the picture/sound fails when starting up the Youview box then I put the TV into standby and back out again. No great hardship.

It would just be nice to have something conclusive. I might have a good look at the BT Community Forum to see if there have been similar issue, if not then I'll submit a post there.

Many thanks for your help so far, JamesB

| Sun 3 Aug 2014 13:38:50 #46 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

How to enter maintenance mode on a DTR T2110 unit...

Switch off using switch at rear of unit.

Press and hold the down arrow on central control top of unit whilst powering back on using rear switch, wait for maintenance mode prompt to appear and then press power button on top of unit to enter mode. use up down arrow to select which reset you want to perform.

BTW the tuner 1 message you referred to earlier is an onscreen message from the Sony TV not the youview unit (I used to have a Sony but not now)

| Sun 3 Aug 2014 13:39:51 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Le_Blur

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the post.

I have tried holding down the down arrow whilst powering on using the rear switch. The T2100 just boots up as normal and doesn't go into maintenance mode. I shall try this again now that this seems to be the confirmed official method.

Is the T2100 the 500G HD model and the T2110 the 1TB model?

How does the Sony TV know which tuner it is seeing across the HDMI connection if the 'Tuner 1' or 'Tuner 2' at the top centre of the TV screen is not coming from the Youview box?
    With CEC turned off this message disappears from the TV screen i.e. the TV no longer processes this info coming from the Youview box. I may be wrong, but this is how I understand it.

| Sun 3 Aug 2014 17:38:46 #48 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I appreciate you have the 2100, but would have thought the procedure was the same as a 2110.

Remember to keep the down arrow pressed until you see the message enter 'enter maintence mode Y/N'

T2110 I used to try and find maintenance mode is 500GB (not mine a relatives)

All I can say re tuner message is it is definitely generated by TV, never seen it on all other TV's I have.

| Sun 3 Aug 2014 17:57:38 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

How does the Sony TV know which tuner it is seeing across the HDMI connection if the 'Tuner 1' or 'Tuner 2' at the top centre of the TV screen is not coming from the Youview box?

It's just the HDMI-CEC assigning a label to the device on HDMI 1. For its own purposes. Goes away when you turn off HDMI-CEC.

| Sun 3 Aug 2014 18:37:20 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.