My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Humax Foxsat HDR 1080I HD Channels locking box up

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

blackcat

REPASSAC - 2 hours ago  » 
    I think I would reinstall Raydon's 4.04 bundle and get ftp and telnet access to the box. I would then try and rename o.ts and 0.nts then I would restart the hdr.

So far so good

I've renamed the existing 0.ts and 0.nts files and after switching channels new 0.ts and 0,nts files were created

The old files are still in their box HDD location and the renamed 1.ts file is still showing as 19GB. I wonder what's left installed.

Does this mean that the data is still there? If so, then why after copying this non encrypted file via Filezilla to my desktop (All 19GB) VLC just plays a scrambled image.
    Could this eventually be a method of archiving encrypted HD files?

It'll take some time to see if the fault has gone but I'll get back asap

Ch4HD is 70% Q and 80% signal atm

btw because of the fault on my box, this is the first time I've used Raydon's M&FS Bundle v4.04.

All installed smoothly and what a massive improvement from v3.

Much credit and thanks to all those involved

| Thu 20 Oct 2011 12:30:49 #11 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

"Does this mean that the data is still there? If so, then why after copying this non encrypted file via Filezilla to my desktop (All 19GB) VLC just plays a scrambled image."

It should play fine - the problem is knowing where the programme starts in the file. (Try via a Samba share - perhaps with Windows Media Player)

| Thu 20 Oct 2011 14:31:57 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

blackcat

Yea - I can stream this 19GB file 1.ts straight to my pc via samba/Explorer W Media Player

So If i do the same for an encrypted HD file (rename 0.ts & 0.nts)I should be able to copy then?

I can then delete the renamed file on the HDD and do the same again the next time?

I'm still running ok on CH4HD (just over three hours) but the new buffered 0.ts file is puzzling me.

If it's supposed to make a rolling 2 hour file, deleting early data after 2 hours, this file was 9GB at 2 hours but is now 15GB and still growing
    When should it start self deleting?
    At this rate after 5 hours, it'll be 30GB!

| Thu 20 Oct 2011 15:34:43 #13 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The 0.ts file will reach it's max size and start overwriting from the start (which makes it tricky to use - except that changing channels makes it start from the start). The buffer file is never encrypted.

If all is O.K. when it wraps around (Playing it from the start via samba will show this) then the problem was indeed a HD problem (possibly a bad sector on the disk).

| Thu 20 Oct 2011 15:48:23 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 
    The 0.ts file will reach it's max size and start overwriting from the start (which makes it tricky to use - except that changing channels makes it start from the start). The buffer file is never encrypted.
    ).

A watch reservation makes it easier, at least you know where to start from

| Thu 20 Oct 2011 17:05:37 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

blackcat

Brilliant work again Repassac & GLT. Many thanks. At least I'm now sure of the problem

I left Ch4HD running for nearly 4 hours and the fault appears to have gone. So it must be bad sectors on the 1TB HDD that I installed a year ago

The maximum memory of the 0.ts buffer file is exactly 19,126,026,240 bytes and the .nts file 107,673,344bytes.

This appears to be reached in 3hrs 25min for a 1080I HD file

I’ve rebooted the box and the 1.ts and 1.nts files are still there.

What I didn’t realise was that once the first 0.ts 0.nts buffer files are created, it remains static on the hard drive. All the subsequent buffering is just recorded over it.

If the renamed files aren’t deleted with the overnight Humax housekeeping, leaving the files on the drive should prevent the bad sectors from being accessed again? Or that’s what I hope otherwise it mean copying 700GB of recordings and sending the Hdrive back (Lifetime guarantee)

Another addition to be added to Raydon's M&FS Bundle options that I wasn’t aware of:

Now for the interesting bit for archiving up to 2 hour HD recordings
    Using Filezilla and Samba/Explorer or similar in Raydon’s M&FS Bundle 4.04, access the Humax Video folder.
    Rename the 0.ts and 0.nts files to 1.ts and 1.nts.
    Change channels on the Humax and new 0.ts and 0.nts file are created on another part of the drive but the old renamed files remain (19GB and 107mb)
    You can then play/copy to the pc/edit the content within the 2 hour’s already recorded renamed 1.ts file.
    These HD buffered files aren’t encrypted, just make sure your HD recording falls within the 2 hours (changing channels and back at the start will put your recording back to the beginning of the buffer file or use a watch reservation as mentioned by glt)

This seems to be a good alternative to copying in real time with VLC and although I’m sure that the experts are aware of this, maybe others would like to try it

I’m just waiting to see how much time there is to use the 1.ts file as it may be deleted with the Humax overnight cleaning up but in any case once you’ve used/copied the file you can delete it yourself and start again with the next recording

| Thu 20 Oct 2011 18:00:29 #16 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You are correct the 1.ts will not be deleted by HouseKeeping and protect the sectors from future use. Can a Unix user suggest how we may (in single user mode) force a hard disk check and repair please.

My "guess" of the problem was based upon your constant time on a HD recording. Glad the solution is good.

| Thu 20 Oct 2011 18:56:21 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

blackcat

Update on the Channel lockup/forced reboot:
    The renamed 1.ts and 1.nts files on the Humax drive seem to be doing their job, as I have had no more lockups during +3hours transmissions since changing the filenames.

However, now that the 1TB disk is over 70% full, when recording two progs at the same time, both playbacks have a 5 minute freezing spell that is overcome by touching the ffwd button. The recordings then play through to the end.

I gave the wrong info in my previous post. I purchased two 1TB drives at the same time but I forgot that I'd istalled the WD 10EVS drive in a desktop pc and installed a SAMSUNG HD 103SJ SPINPOINT F3 1TB SATAII 7200rpm 32mb cache in the Humax.I purchased this HD from Ebuyer.

The official Humax HDR recommended drives list had just updated to included the Samsung Spinpoint and I though that this would be a better power saving option. The full spec was listed here: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-hd103sj-spinpoint-f3-1tb-hard-782564

I'm now thinking that this drive is not suitable for the Humax HDR.

To test further, I'm only deleting the played back recordings without any freezing (keeping the faulty ones) to see if I can block up all the bad sectors on the disk
    I'll probably end up installing a new 1TB drive and keep the Samsung in an external caddy for archiving.

I'm not sure that a check and repair will do any good as the problem will probably return

Possibly this drive is too fast?

| Wed 26 Oct 2011 16:53:58 #18 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.