My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Humax HD file transfer

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stryxxx

Good morning, I am trying to help my aged father in law. He has filled his Humax FOXSAT-HDR with a 100hour collection of Proms ' files '. He wants to buy a new Humax with 2T of space to record this seasons music. All ok but now wants to transfer over all the 100 hours to new Humax. I am told each file is ' encrypted ' and so when moved to new box they will not play?? Can anyone help please with simplest method if possible?

| Fri 12 Aug 2022 14:06:11 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Stryxxx - 39 mins ago  » 
    Good morning, I am trying to help my aged father in law. He has filled his Humax FOXSAT-HDR with a 100hour collection of Proms ' files '. He wants to buy a new Humax with 2T of space to record this seasons music. All ok but now wants to transfer over all the 100 hours to new Humax. I am told each file is ' encrypted ' and so when moved to new box they will not play??

Are the recordings SD (Standard Definition) or HD (High Definition)? I think the SD recordings are not encrypted. If SD then this guide to getting the recordings off may help https://www.360panoramas.co.uk/humax/. If HD then removing encryption is a touchy subject on this forum so you might do better to ask the question over at https://hummy.tv but there isn't a simple answer as far as I know.

| Fri 12 Aug 2022 15:00:56 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stryxxx

Thank you for the reply. Yes they are HDR according to the FOXSAT. I understand the concern over piracy and rights to the recordings. The solution is not that simple as my father in law is 92 and nearly blind with Wet Macular so button selection is a big issue. I would normally just get him a new one and leave his old one underneath and show him how to configure the setup but not with his disability. Back to the drawing board!

| Sat 13 Aug 2022 17:05:48 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

GeoffKurth

The file encryption is tied to the individual Foxsat HDR machine, but the files themselves can be copied on a PC running Linux (or any suitable OS that can access EXT3 partitions).
    So you could consider removing the 1TB drive from the Foxsat HDR, and fit a 2 (or even 3 or 4)TB drive, let the Foxsat HDR format it, then connect both drives to a suitable PC and copy the files from the old drive to the new one, pop the new drive back in the Foxsat HDR and you should be fine.
    If you need any further info or help please ask.

| Sun 14 Aug 2022 0:07:00 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

GeoffKurth - 10 hours ago  » 
    So you could consider removing the 1TB drive from the Foxsat HDR, and fit a 2 (or even 3 or 4)TB drive, let the Foxsat HDR format it,

I think there is zero chance that a capacity bigger than 2TB is possible with the Foxsat HDR unless someone develops support for a GPT style partition table. Also I seem to recollect that the largest drive that a Foxsat HDR will format itself is 1TB but it is possible to format a 2TB drive on a computer running Linux.

| Sun 14 Aug 2022 10:31:55 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

GeoffKurth

Having read other threads since my post, you are quite right Martin, sorry to mislead.
    In principle though, it should be possible to get to 2TB in the existing machine, preserve the old recordings, and have new space available, without the poster's father in law having to learn how to use a new machine.
    Oh and he could get him to record the SD channel instead of the HD one to eek out the remaining space.

| Sun 14 Aug 2022 23:26:55 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

GeoffKurth - 10 hours ago  » 
    Having read other threads since my post, you are quite right Martin, sorry to mislead.
    In principle though, it should be possible to get to 2TB in the existing machine, preserve the old recordings, and have new space available, without the poster's father in law having to learn how to use a new machine.

I fully agree.

Oh and he could get him to record the SD channel instead of the HD one to eek out the remaining space.

Yes or alternatively install the Foxsat HDR custom firmware and Nowsters patch.

| Mon 15 Aug 2022 9:41:39 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rocksta

I have swapped from 1 TB disk to a 2 TB keeping the existing recordings ... but not on the same Humax m/c as you.

This post may help, but I know nothing of the limitations of the FOXSAT-HDR :

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/recovered-from-pause-tsr-problem?replies=1#post-80999

Good luck.

| Mon 15 Aug 2022 22:06:03 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

In relation to above, no experience of the foxsat, but I have fixed up numerous FVP and 1010 models of the humax and I always load the H/D of them with a copy of my own recordings as I think it quite a good sales point and it is so easy to remove them by a factory reset if the buyer does not want them. I always did the cloning using "Minitool Partition Wizard" which has a free version that includes the clone tool, some of the FVPs use EXT 4 and some EXT 3
    Boyd

| Sun 30 Oct 2022 19:17:01 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

I forgot to mention the clone tool in Mini Tool Partition Wizard also gives the option of copying to the original size or to expand to the size of a larger target disk (And I think anywhere in between, but I might be wrong in that last)
    Boyd

| Sun 30 Oct 2022 19:43:39 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.