My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Other Humax Products

Humax HDPVR-5000T and USB drive compatibility

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Vesa

I have the Humax HDPVR-5000T digital recorder.

I recently bought a 2 TB (2-terabyte) USB hard drive (Western Digital MyPassport Ultra) to use as an additional storage medium. It was factory formatted to the NTFS file system.

However, whenever the HDPVR-5000T tried to format the USB drive, the operation was interrupted, and Humax restarted. After that, the USB drive was no longer recognized at all.

I them tried formatting the USB drive to both ext3 and FAT32 file format on my Windows PC using a third party software. As a result of both operations, the HDPVR-5000T occasionally recognized the drive, but when trying to move recordings to it from HDPVR-5000T's own hard drive, there was always an error message recommending that I detach the USB device to prevent the system from being damaged.

It seems that the WD MyPassport drive is incompatible with the HDPVR-5000T. Would you agree? Is that perhaps because of the size - 2 terabytes - of the drive, or because of something else? (Note that I also tried partitioning the drive into two or three partitions - to no avail.) If the drive is incompatible, could you mention some USB hard drives that are (likely to be) supported by the Humax recorder?

Thanks in advance for advice.

| Sat 7 Mar 2015 12:05:56 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Vesa - 1 hour ago  » 
    However, whenever the HDPVR-5000T tried to format the USB drive, the operation was interrupted, and Humax restarted. After that, the USB drive was no longer recognized at all.

was the format operation interrupted by yourself or power-cut etc. or did the Humax simply crash/give-up and restart?

I've had some problems with usb3.0 sticks even though it's supposed to be backwards compatible with usb2.0. This may or may not be a problem.

I'd advise reformatting the drive properly (a full format) delete all the partitions on a pc to NTFS and start again (sometimes drive manufacturers will put back-up software or similar on hidden partitions).

I asume you're on the latest humax firmware. Wait for the humax to finish formatting, switch off eco settings and leave overnight if necessary, unless it crashes/gives-up first in which case boot a pc/laptop etc. up with a linux live distro and format the drive to ext3 and test again. It's possible the humax can't format a >1TB external drive, I don't know however; there shouldn't be problems with a clean format from a linux live distro, steer clear of windows based third party ext3 formatting tools.

| Sat 7 Mar 2015 13:53:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Vesa

Thank you damian!

The Humax simply crashed and restarted every time I initiated formatting from its menu. In most cases this happened immediately; once it operated on the disk for about 20 seconds before restarting.

Humax reports that it cannot find a new program version, so I guess it uses the latest version.

Installing a Linux distribution sounds a bit daunting, as I'm not well versed with Linux commands etc.

I have also sent Humax tech support an email.

In any case, I can still return the disk. On the other hand, I might use it as a storage medium for Windows stuff (photos etc).

| Sun 8 Mar 2015 3:06:45 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Vesa - 10 hours ago  » 

Installing a Linux distribution sounds a bit daunting, as I'm not well versed with Linux commands etc.

It is daunting, either burn a copy to cd/dvd and boot from that or better, make a usb stick bootable and copy the distro over and boot from the usb stick, the instructions come with the linux version.

I still think it's worthwhile checking the disk with windows disk management, somewhere hidden away in windows there's a disk management program that allows you to view, format, change partitions etc. Make sure you're working with the portable drive and check for any extra partitions, delete everything on that drive, set up a new single partition, format it properly, try again on the humax.
    If this fails and linux is a step too far then I think you're left with the options you mentioned.

| Sun 8 Mar 2015 14:28:01 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

damian - 6 minutes ago  » 

Vesa - 10 hours ago  » 

It is daunting, either burn a copy to cd/dvd and boot from that or better, make a usb stick bootable and copy the distro over and boot from the usb stick, the instructions come with the linux version.
    I still think it's worthwhile checking the disk with windows disk management, somewhere hidden away in windows there's a disk management program that allows you to view, format, change partitions etc. Make sure you're working with the portable drive and check for any extra partitions, delete everything on that drive, set up a new single partition, format it properly, try again on the humax.
    If this fails and linux is a step too far then I think you're left with the options you mentioned.

Win 7 - start - control panel - system and security - administrative tools - create and format hard disk partitions

| Sun 8 Mar 2015 14:36:47 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Vesa

The drive came with one partition formatted into NTFS. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to partition and format into ext3. I also made sure there was only one partition (however, I did once try with two partitions to see if that had any effect).

Appreciate the Linux instructions, I'll see if I have the time and resources to try that...

| Sun 8 Mar 2015 14:41:11 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I would have also tried with no partitions.

| Sun 8 Mar 2015 15:47:08 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Vesa

Actually, by one partition I meant that the disk was not divided, ie that all the disk space (2 TB) was in the single partition.

| Sun 8 Mar 2015 19:54:15 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.