My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Other Humax Products

Humax iHDR-5200c & TV on Stand By ?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Cor

Hi,

I hope that I post this to the right forum:

I am planning to buy the Humax iHDR-5200c.

I have an 4 years old Samsung TV on which I use a C1+ module with a Ziggo (Dutch TV provider) Smartcard to watch digital television.

I want to be able to record digital TV with the Humax iHDR-5200c.

If I understand is correctly I can connect the Humax via a HDMI cable to my TV to be able to record.

Is it necessary that my TV is switched on during recording, or can the Humax pick up the desired digital signal if my TV is switched off (on stand by) ?

Thanks in advance,

Cor

| Mon 2 Nov 2015 12:56:47 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. Not familiar with the box, but recording from any TV using a HDMI cable is impossible. The HDMI ports on a TV are input only for at least Video, and on the box are output only. Later versions are able to output audio (ARC - Audio Record Channel) and control remote kit (CEC Control). Your box can only record if it has it's own built in tuners and they have a source signal (depending on box could be cable, terrestrial or satellite - in your case the box appears to be a cable pvr). The HDMI cable is only needed to view recordings and Live broadcasts on your TV.

The box requires connecting to a cable TV source directly.

HDMI connections use a copy protection system (HDCP) which prevents a device recording HDCP protected output on any kit with a HDMI in socket.

Afterthought - later versions of HDMI are capable of providing network access, I suppose this may work to feed your tuners.

| Mon 2 Nov 2015 13:06:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Cor

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your fast reply, I appreciate it ! I am not too well versed in the lingo, but if understand it correctly it won't work as I suggested (and I was advised to do).

Somehow I was suspicious about this suggestion.

Let's see if I understand it correctly: The Humax 5200 has 2 tuners: this box should be placed between my cable signal and my TV. So this box should than decode the digital signal (and zapping through the channels should be done with this tuner/decoder/PVR). And than I can record programs, no need for the TV to be on.

If it works like this I have to find out if I can take the Smartcard from my provider) which is now in the C1+ module in my TV0 and place it in the Humax box, if that is the route to go, that is..

thanks,

Cor

| Mon 2 Nov 2015 15:30:28 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Cor - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    Thanks for your fast reply, I appreciate it ! I am not too well versed in the lingo, but if understand it correctly it won't work as I suggested (and I was advised to do).
    Somehow I was suspicious about this suggestion.
    Let's see if I understand it correctly: The Humax 5200 has 2 tuners: this box should be placed between my cable signal and my TV. So this box should than decode the digital signal (and zapping through the channels should be done with this tuner/decoder/PVR). And than I can record programs, no need for the TV to be on.
    If it works like this I have to find out if I can take the Smartcard from my provider) which is now in the C1+ module in my TV0 and place it in the Humax box, if that is the route to go, that is..
    thanks,
    Cor

That sounds correct to me. I would contact your cable company for clarification.

| Mon 2 Nov 2015 16:32:25 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Humax information at https://myhumax.info/ihdr-5200c/

My comprehension (via Google translation) was a bit patchy, but it looks like an interesting box. It does indeed receive Ziggo. Also UPC? Free-to-air cable?

| Mon 2 Nov 2015 22:08:16 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Cor

Hi James,

Ziggo and UPC fused to one big company recently, not the big success they hoped (yet). Ziggo used to sell Humax boxes without hard drives, now they "force"you to rent a Horizon box (from the former UPC). About this Horizon box are quite a few complains, and I rather buy than rent, so than the box is mine. Now for me to find out if that Humax box will work with the smart card from Ziggo.

It's cable only (I have telephone, TV and internet trough teh same modem from Ziggo)

Best,

Cor

| Tue 3 Nov 2015 9:20:55 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Thanks for the background, Cor, that's interesting. Similar situation here in the UK with Virgin Media, Liberty Global's UK brand. The Tivo boxes are only available for rent, not purchase. And no Humax cable box to come to the rescue.

Good luck with the box, looks like a good one.

| Tue 3 Nov 2015 10:04:34 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.