My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Humax issues with sound and picture

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

expat46

Hi everyone. A very new ‘newbee’ to your forum .

I need some advice on a problem (or several) that I’m having with my Humax Foxsat PVR receiver. It’s probably about 5+ years old but has never given me problems until the last month or so. I cannot find any model number on back or underside.
    It’s 500GB hard drive and is the model with 3 sat cable connections on the back. I use a single cable from the LNB to the box and it’s connected to ‘LNB 1 IN’. In order to watch or record another channel at the same time, I have a loop cable from LNB 1 OUT to LNB 2 IN and it works fine with that setup.

I have included a picture of the diagnostics, so you can see the Software and Loader version. It has about 100% quality and 85 % strength – (which actually fluctuates between 85 and 90 %), which is not bad as I’m in Germany.
    Today, being bright and sunny, everything was on 100%.

So, to my first problem. On my quite new Sony Bravia smart TV, when I turn the TV on, or switch channels, there is a black bar that appears at the top of the screen, and which shows the HDMI connection and sound setting, then it disappears after a few seconds.

Lately however, for no apparent reason, while watching television programmes, the bar keeps appearing every few minutes or every few seconds (in extreme cases). The sound goes for that few seconds each time and then comes back. If the interruption is long enough, I get the dreaded black screen with a message about no signal. If it’s really bad, I turn the Humax off, then immediately on again and it seems to fix the problem maybe for a few hours, maybe days or even longer. My first reaction each time is to turn around as look to see if it’s raining - which it is not.
    I know it’s not my television because it works faultlessly with German cable tv.

Sometimes it can go weeks without playing up, other times it’s daily.

This last few days it’s got much worse. One minute we are watching a perfect picture, then the black bar starts appearing (cutting the sound out for a second or two) then more frequently, then the picture goes crazy, flickering about, then a snowstorm appears ( I’ve attached a couple of pictures of that, incidentally, the diagnostic picture was also taken during one of these sessions where the black bar was constantly appearing but before the ‘on-screen snowstorm.

Turning the Humax off and then back on does not seem to solve it. The only thing that seemed to work, is turning it off for about 10 minutes, then back on. Sometimes it behaves for the rest of the evening and sometimes not. While the picture is going nuts, I cannot even get into the diagnostic screen because ‘diagnostics’ is greyed out.

My second problem. I’ve also had periodic problems during this last month or so, when the picture starts to pixelate, not complete screen coverage, just random areas but there is no wind, no rain and nothing in front of the dish, then after a minute or so, it’s back to normal. The dish and LMB are only a year old and I’ve checked the connections. When I check signal strength and quality in the diagnostics, they are really quite good.

I sent this same email to Humax a few days ago, only to receive a reply stating “the problem is most likely caused by the HDMI connection. I would suggest trying a new HDMI cable”

I found this answer a bit strange, as I would have thought , that as I normally had to switch the unit off and then back on, in order to rectify the problem short-term, that it was probably something to do with all the electronic stuff inside the box, maybe overheating or something like that. So I replied to the email to restate the symptoms, only to now have received a reply “that it could be a fault in the unit, the tv or as we said, the HDMI cable”

Before I go and buy another Humax from the UK and have it sent over here, I wondered if you guys have any ideas.

Many thanks for your help
    Expat46

Attachments

1. (FILEminimizer)_20190224_193801_001.jpg (30.6 KB, 2 downloads) 5 years old
    2. (FILEminimizer)_20190224_193730_001.jpg (22.7 KB, 2 downloads) 5 years old
    3. (FILEminimizer)_20190224_193745_001.jpg (36.2 KB, 2 downloads) 5 years old
    4. (FILEminimizer)_20190224_204009_001.jpg (27.2 KB, 1 downloads) 5 years old
    | Sun 3 Mar 2019 15:40:55 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

My first suspicion is that the HDMI cable or one of the sockets it is plugged into (PVR end or TV end) is a bit dodgy and it losing and re-establishing sync. Try swapping the cables and TV sockets round with the cable box and see if the problem moves or stays or goes away.

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 16:00:20 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I echo gomezz's suggestion. The back of the TV HDMI connection could be warming up and trigger the problem.

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 16:31:50 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

expat46

Thanks gomezz and REPASSAC for the replies. There is not much I can do with the HDMI socket on the back of the Humax, because it only has one. I have several on the side of the Sony TV which I could try. Currently, the HDMI cable is plugged into the main socket directly on the back of the TV, next to optical audio connection. Since the last two days, the picture has been behaving - typical !

My concern is that it suddenly dies on me and I won't have any English TV until I can get a replacement from the UK.

I was thinking of getting a used 1000s or 1100s as a spare. In my email to Humax (that I mentioned in my first post), I asked them if, with only one cable from my LNB, was it possible to watch a programme while recording another, on these model PVR's. They stated that "In terms of our latest models, you would need two satellite feeds from the dish in order to record 1 whilst watching another".

I have read many posts on this Forum and that appears not to be correct. I know there are limitations with 'what' channels are compatible for watching and recording at the same time, and understand that. I have it at the moment with my current Humax.

Still, I'll give your suggestions a go and see what happens.

Thanks

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 17:13:30 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

expat46 - 19 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks gomezz and REPASSAC for the replies. There is not much I can do with the HDMI socket on the back of the Humax, because it only has one. I have several on the side of the Sony TV which I could try. Currently, the HDMI cable is plugged into the main socket directly on the back of the TV, next to optical audio connection. Since the last two days, the picture has been behaving - typical !
    My concern is that it suddenly dies on me and I won't have any English TV until I can get a replacement from the UK.
    I was thinking of getting a used 1000s or 1100s as a spare. In my email to Humax (that I mentioned in my first post), I asked them if, with only one cable from my LNB, was it possible to watch a programme while recording another, on these model PVR's. They stated that "In terms of our latest models, you would need two satellite feeds from the dish in order to record 1 whilst watching another".
    I have read many posts on this Forum and that appears not to be correct. I know there are limitations with 'what' channels are compatible for watching and recording at the same time, and understand that. I have it at the moment with my current Humax.
    Still, I'll give your suggestions a go and see what happens.
    Thanks

That's not accurate. The 1100-S will work in nearly exactly the same way as your Foxast-HDR does in single cable mode but also adds time shifting capability to any 3rd viewed channel while recording two. In addition the G2 boxes can convert the time shift buffer content to a regular recording.

There is no need for the loop cable as the tuner link is internal and automatically enabled when only one cable is found on setup or unlike the Foxsat-HDR the cables are checked when a freesat tune is carried out.

It's actually possible to record 3 by setting a watch reservation for a 3rd channel and then pushing the instant record button after one of the recordings has finished.

You willl notice a marked improvement in especially HD pictures when compared to slightly soft Foxsat-HDR picture.

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 17:41:16 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

expat46

Thanks Graham, just shows you that even Humax 'technical help' appear not to know what they are talking about.

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 17:55:37 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

expat46 - 4 hours ago  » 
    Thanks Graham, just shows you that even Humax 'technical help' appear not to know what they are talking about.

I doubt any of so called technical help will have ever used the kit they are supposed to help with. They will have a some sort of script they will follow.

Back in the day when the The Foxsat-HDR was new. this forum and Barry had a direct connection to the then Humax Technical director (Thanks BOB-CAT). Thanks to this there were so many breakthroughs,

Just a few examples.

Export of encrypted recordings to USB would replay on the original Foxsat-HDR that recorded it and so many other goodies.

If you haven't already you should install the custom firmware for the Foxsat-HDR.

Especially in your case the CF includes a Linux maintenance mode option that can check and repair the file system on your Foxsat-HDR HDD.

| Sun 3 Mar 2019 22:32:41 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

expat46

[If you haven't already you should install the custom firmware for the Foxsat-HDR.]

Graham, where would I find the custom firmware. My Humax is not connected to the internet

I think I finally worked out which model mine is. Does 'Foxsat HDR GB' sound about right

| Mon 4 Mar 2019 9:58:54 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

expat46 - 3 hours ago  » 
    [If you haven't already you should install the custom firmware for the Foxsat-HDR.]
    Graham, where would I find the custom firmware. My Humax is not connected to the internet
    I think I finally worked out which model mine is. Does 'Foxsat HDR GB' sound about right

Without the Foxsat-HDR connected to your home network the CF is not really any use.

| Mon 4 Mar 2019 13:04:34 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

expat46

Again, thank you Graham for the information.

You mentioned in an earlier reply, that with the 1100s model and one cable feed,
    "It's actually possible to record 3 by setting a watch reservation for a 3rd channel and then pushing the instant record button after one of the recordings has finished".

Would the 1000s also be able to do that, as I think I prefer this model because it still has a display on the front panel.

| Mon 4 Mar 2019 14:13:06 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.