My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Humax no longer able to record.

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Michael55

In the last few months Freesat had upgraded all my BBC regional channels to HD, the result of which was me losing them as the dish signal was to weak.
    Today I did a Humax 'Manual Search', 370 channels found (incl Radio) and some BBC HD channels now available, but ...... I just tried to set the Record timer for Talking Pictures and am now getting a 'Not Available' dialogue box even though the channel works ok.
    Can anyone advise please?

| Mon 12 Jun 2023 19:51:15 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hello Michael55,

Welcome to the forum. You mention weak signal. Are you able to check dish alignment? Have a look at a signal strength on bbc1 hd. It should be at least approx. 75%+ strength on & the signal quality should be 100%. If you look at low signal channels such as Ideal World, signal will be lower & maybe signal quality maybe also lower. Might be worth getting an engineer to check, if you are unable to. John L

| Tue 13 Jun 2023 12:00:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Michael55

Thanks John.
    Yes I can check and re-align the dish as its on a balcony. But prior to the new Search last week there was no problems recording, and Talking Pictures is a strong signal, sometimes in poor weather I lose channels but never TPs. I'm looking for another reason here .....

| Fri 16 Jun 2023 11:52:13 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi Michael55,

When we get heavy rain, we also lose some channels. If it only happens occasionally, not much you can do. I swapped lnb to upgrade to more feeds, but still same problem with new lnb. Even after tweaking alignment again to improve signal with fine tuning done via sat finder meter, still sudden drops in signal when very heavy rain.

The only thought is asking an TV engineer to mount higher on roof level, but my guess is it won't totally eliminate the weather problem. Could also be your location.
    John L

| Fri 16 Jun 2023 12:35:12 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Michael55

Thanks John
    I'm not too concerned about weak signal for the moment, most channels are ok.
    I'm here trying to find a reason why the Humax won't record anything since I did a new channel Search.
    Michael.

| Mon 19 Jun 2023 7:11:50 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Michael55 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thanks John
    I'm not too concerned about weak signal for the moment, most channels are ok.
    I'm here trying to find a reason why the Humax won't record anything since I did a new channel Search.
    Michael.

Not sure how old your machine is. When was the last time you reformated the hard drive? They are known to fail from time to time. If you are able to watch recordings, do this first and then try reformating drive. John L

| Mon 19 Jun 2023 9:56:16 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Michael55

Crikey I'm a technophobe, that is beyond my capacity, I could try unplugging it, waiting 15 seconds and plugging in again

| Thu 22 Jun 2023 8:21:08 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Michael55

Ha! I just did this mains reboot and the Humax has reverted to the list of channels I had before I performed the manual Search and ... Record facility is working again

| Thu 22 Jun 2023 8:54:20 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hi Michael55,

Well that was simple. Often not a "techno" thing. I'm on various forums inc Youview, Humax & many users haven't thought about turning it off/back on again. You often hear: "have to get the BT engineer round to do that etc - I can't do this". Glad you have managed to hopefully solve your problem, but don't be afraid of venturing further if you have to. Reformating is very straight forward & if your box plays up again, could be hard drive, most probably the best cause of action. The hard drive is working continously when out of standby mode with the buffer working in the background for pause life tv function. It sometimes gets jammed. Just a tip for you in case you run into a problem again. Good luck. John L

| Thu 22 Jun 2023 12:38:17 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Michael55 - 7 hours ago  » 
    Ha! I just did this mains reboot and the Humax has reverted to the list of channels I had before I performed the manual Search and ... Record facility is working again

Could I ask which model of Humax Freesat box you have please?

| Thu 22 Jun 2023 16:50:30 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.