My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Humax vs. Panny

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Calc

A slightly controversial first post maybe, although I was a user under a different user name a few years ago - just no idea what user name!

I've been a Humax fan for many years, have owned at least 4 or 5 Humax boxes and bought or recommended them to various family members and friends over the years.

I'm now looking to replace 2 boxes partly because they're both beginning to lock up a bit too regularly, but mainly because they're low def.

One of the TVs records HD, but you can only watch the channel being recorded or catch-up, pre-recorded stuff at the same time.

My instant instinct was to pick up a couple of 4000T boxes, but when I started to do a quick check on reviews and user comments, they come back mixed at best.

I like the idea of Freeview Play and 'think' I'd prefer that to YouView - but could possibly be convinced otherwise!

So looking round, I see there are also a range of Panny boxes, which generally get as good, if not better reviews...

I'm sure the software updates are helping improve the 4000Ts, but is it enough?!

I'm really hoping some of you out there have tried or better still own, both?

If you didn't already own a 4000T - would you buy another? Or would you look for something else? And, if so, a Panny Freeview Play box, or something else?

A couple of other bits of info:

I don't have or want Sky.
    We don't have and can't get cable.
    The boxes are for different properties, so a 4000T + an H3 isn't an option, although if I do go 4000T, there is still the 3rd LD Humax to replace and that could probably be an H3.
    Price is a factor, but the right box is more important (within reason!).

Many thanks!!

Calc

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 16:29:52 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

I only bought and kept hold of one as it's the only freeview box with 3 tuners. If I only needed two I'd have looked elsewhere - whilst the 4000 isn't terrible it has lots of issues and lots of bugs which sometimes get fixed, sometimes only improved and sometimes introduced by software updates. If and when they fix the multiple issues I would recommend it over a more stable box. No experience with any other freeview recorders sorry, I came from a Virgin Tivo.

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 16:42:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Calc

Thanks for those thoughts BG.

Do I need 3 tuners - probably not! Would I like 3 - of course I would!!

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 16:49:10 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

Ok, well the it's the main feature I was after so only had the one option. If say stability or not having to keep checking when the manufacturer will be releasing a new update to fix various bugs is more important, you may want to look elsewhere. They don't seem to have completely resolved the issue of boxes randomly rebooting for example.

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 17:02:00 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I bought a Panasonic DVR many years ago and regretted it later. I swapped the hard drive for a larger one only to find the original size was fixed in the firmware so would only format and accept the original size even when formatted with linux utilities. A Panasonic music sytem was also a poor buy and regretted later, although well built and reliable somehow limited and boring.

I like Panasonic, they fully test their products before releasing to market and normally they work exactly as described. In my experience though, what you get on day one is what you get forever regardless how clunky or it not doing what you thought it would/should. i.e. they deliver a bug free product and then move on to the next new product. This wasn't an issue years ago when we had a TV with 4 push buttons for channels and a volume control, and for years and years we only used 3 of those buttons or as in our house only the first two were allowed. The point being, and imho, Humax have a record of accomodating changes, e.g. iplayer a couple of years ago where all, I believe, others said tough.

If you haven't already I'd pose the same'ish question on a Panny forum and hopefully between the two you'll find somebody who has a fvp4000t and the equivalent Panny. With hindsight I'd still purchase the same fvp4000t though.

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 18:34:59 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I have the Panasonic DMRPWT550EB Freeview Play HDD recorder and Bluray player as well as a couple of FVP 4000T's.

The Panny is rarely used as a HDD recorder, UI is ancient and not imho user friendly, the remote is awful, small buttons illogically laid out.

Beware of early reviews of the FVP as subsequent updates have improved this model, that is not to say some are still experiencing the odd issue.

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 19:52:28 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

We have a Panny HWT 120 and as damian says, they are reliable and bullet proof. However, as damian also alluded to, what you buy you are stuck with. Yes, they are bug free, but once bought they never appear to get any updates. I have one of their early Freeview DVD/HDD recorders, over a decade old now and still going strong. I can't remember it ever having received an update. As Barry mentions, the UI is pretty dated and clunky, though it is bug free.

Funnily enough, although we have a Humax 2000T freeview+ box as well as the HDR1000s Freesat model, we have just taken delivery of a Humax/BT Youview+ box this week. My early impressions with Youview are positive, the UI is good and for a very modest outlay we have got quite a number of extra channels.

You can certainly see the extra investment in the platform has paid off and it's due to get a new Netflix style UI before spring. Hope this additional information helps you to make a more informed choice.

| Fri 13 Jan 2017 23:36:25 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Calc

Thanks all - just ordered a couple of 4000Ts...

Hope I've made the right choice!!

| Tue 17 Jan 2017 19:41:30 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.