My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

I want to move a file. HOW ON EARTH??

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

grant_whittaker

Ok,

Update time.... I have cleared down the drive I used. It was NTFS, so I re-formatted it as exFAT (FAT32) wasn't an option strangely.

It now won't even see a drive is there.

I have re-formatted it again as a NTFS drive and it does now see it again.

It also won't copy over to the laptop on the network sadly... I'm really getting bothered by it now.

| Sun 4 Jan 2015 22:54:40 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

To copy to the drive via USB it will need to be fat32 or ext3. FAT32 of course has a 4GB size limit for each individual file and so will be unsuitable for most HD recordings over about 45 minutes or so.

| Sun 4 Jan 2015 23:01:29 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

grant_whittaker - 11 hours ago  » (FAT32) wasn't an option strangely.

Microsoft impose a limit on the size of a drive that it will format in FAT32.
    To format in FAT32 you will either need to use another manfacturer's utility or user a smaller USB drive. If I remember correctly the microsoft limit is 32GB.

| Mon 5 Jan 2015 10:12:45 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

grant_whittaker

What a stupid thing!!

It does answer the question though thank you - managed to move files onto a laptop using a USB stick FAT32

Can't play them, but at least they are backed up now of sorts.

Another question linked to this perhaps - I read that the Humax won't write to disks over 2TB - will it write to disks attached to the network over 2TB? Also, can I copy to a drive over a network that's not FAT32?

If not, can I connect multiple 2TB external disks using a powered usb hub?

Thanks guys

| Sat 28 Feb 2015 16:53:31 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

The Humax has it's own file systems it supports, but it can't know anything about any possible file system limitations on a disk that isn't directly connected to it. So, if you have a NAS that the HDR can access, files can be copied between the boxes and each will use their own file systems.

| Sat 28 Feb 2015 17:29:03 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

grant_whittaker - 33 minutes ago  » 
    What a stupid thing!!
    It does answer the question though thank you - managed to move files onto a laptop using a USB stick FAT32
    Can't play them, but at least they are backed up now of sorts.
    Another question linked to this perhaps - I read that the Humax won't write to disks over 2TB - will it write to disks attached to the network over 2TB? Also, can I copy to a drive over a network that's not FAT32?
    If not, can I connect multiple 2TB external disks using a powered usb hub?
    Thanks guys

microsoft have done lots of stupid things over the years, probably done some useful stuff as well.

it's worthwhile installing VLC or similar on your pc/laptop etc. and checking the files you copied over do actually play.

The humax can't normally cope with anything larger than 2TB directly, there are some posts where a larger than 2TB external usb drive has been succesful. I'd imagine this is hit and miss and for most people only 2TB would be available anyway.

Do you actually realise how big 2TB is?
    the hdrfoxt2's came with 500GB or 1TB, the original 8000T came with 40GB. 2TB is a ridiculous amount of storage, even if you could record 2 HD channels non-stop 24/7 it'd take over 20 days to fill it. Record a 2hr film off film4 once a day every single day of the year and it'd take around 3 years to fill it.

I'm not aware of any sensible network attached storage using fat32 so there shouldn't be any problems archiving over the network. The alternative would be a 2TB external drive, you could connect more, but not how on earth? more why on earth?

once you've got CF up and running I think most things will fall into place and you'll have a better understanding of what can and can't be achieved. Your box will get a new lease of life.

| Sat 28 Feb 2015 17:53:42 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

grant_whittaker

Sounds good.

The 1TB original drive is 3/4 full now and we have to regularly wipe what we don't want to keep.

I have a massive (about 3TB) bank of films I've ripped / downloaded over the years... So I'd need around 2 x 2TB drives to put them all on

| Sat 28 Feb 2015 18:12:17 #27 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.