My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Icon Identification & No Fast Forward

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnooooo

Started playing a Pre recorded programme & I found that I could not fast forward & a large icon grey circle with line through it came up.
    Later tried another pre recorded item, no problems.
    So what was the icon ?
    Any ideas why no fast forward?

| Wed 10 Jun 2020 21:39:04 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Which programme was it and from which channel?
    The no entry sign will appear if you attempt to fast forward an audio only recording.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 9:18:58 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnooooo

It was a TV series called "The Looming Tower" on BBC2.It was not audio only.
    Also could you please give advise on this, which happened on the same recording.
    One of the episodes in the series when I went to play it was just ending & another programme had been recorded.
    I assume that the broadcaster had changed the schedule of this episode to an earlier time.
    But for this type of situation I thought that the Humax had technology to know that the broadcast was at an earlier time.
    Am I incorrect on this assumption.
    Note:- I'm aware of start/end Padding time & these are set.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 9:29:46 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

johnooooo - 2 hours ago  » 
    It was a TV series called "The Looming Tower" on BBC2.It was not audio only.
    Also could you please give advise on this, which happened on the same recording.
    One of the episodes in the series when I went to play it was just ending & another programme had been recorded.
    I assume that the broadcaster had changed the schedule of this episode to an earlier time.
    But for this type of situation I thought that the Humax had technology to know that the broadcast was at an earlier time.
    Am I incorrect on this assumption.
    Note:- I'm aware of start/end Padding time & these are set.

Setting padding stops the broadcaster being able to adjust the start times and end times,

Without padding the box wakes up about 20 mins before the scheduled start time and watches for the broadcaster signal to start recording.

When padding is set the box wakes up at the scheduled time adjusted by the start padding and starts recording immediately. The programme may have already started up to 20 mins earlier.

Set start and end to auto will give the best results for the major channels.

Currently the covid daily briefs are causing recordin failures. Outside this period recordings should be OK.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 12:08:48 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnooooo

Thanks, I've gone into menu/Settings/Preferences/Recording:- There is no place to set the "Padding" to Auto, so I've set them to off, is this correct?
    But on reading the Users Manual, page 33 it states "You can set padding time in case the recording starts earlier or ends later"
    So I'm slightly confused.Perhaps you can help/clarify.
    In this specific case it appears that the broadcast was over 30 minutes early than scheduled, so is there any way the Humax would identify this start time?

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 12:30:58 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

johnooooo - 35 mins ago  » 
    Thanks, I've gone into menu/Settings/Preferences/Recording:- There is no place to set the "Padding" to Auto, so I've set them to off, is this correct?

This means that Accurate Recording will be used. It will catch programmes that start up to 15 minutes earlier than scheduled or programmes that start up to 30 minutes late.

But on reading the Users Manual, page 33 it states "You can set padding time in case the recording starts earlier or ends later"
    So I'm slightly confused.Perhaps you can help/clarify.

Neither strategy is prefect. Accurate Recording relies on the broadcasters signalling the start and end of the programme (technically I think it monitors the change in the running status). In the early days of Accurate Recording the some channels were not very reliable in sending the signals. My view is that the major channels are reasonably reliable these days (but not infallible). Minor channels can still be problematic. You can choose which strategy you use. I suspect the majority use Accurate Recording which certainly works well for me.

In this specific case it appears that the broadcast was over 30 minutes early than scheduled, so is there any way the Humax would identify this start time?

No. Later running programmes are much commoner than early so the implementation gives more leeway for late running.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 13:17:44 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnooooo

OK, so I'll leave the "Padding" off for both early & late & hope it's better.
    Thanks for all of the help.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 13:28:58 #7 |
  8. Trev

Trev

special member

In your first post about the 'no entry' sign, you said

Started playing a Pre recorded programme

Who 'pre-recorded' it?

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 15:10:30 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

johnooooo

Trev,
    I recorded it.
    Perhaps my words were not explicit enough.
    It was a TV series shown on BBC 2 which I recorded.This symbol, which looked like a "No Entry Sign" but was grey in colour came up, top right of screen, when I went into "Fast Forward" on the remote.
    Never seen this icon before & don't know why it came onto the screen.

| Thu 11 Jun 2020 15:20:06 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.