My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HD

If it's not broke . . .

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBaker

Similar problem to that reported Sept 22 2012 - decided to re-tune because of slight picture breakup on lesser channels (CBS Reality etc). All Freesat channels lost - Satellite signal couldn't be found - Doesn't recognise Postcode etc. Did a manual "User" re-tune as per the solution given in Sept 2012. The "main" channels have come back OK (BBC ITV CH4 Ch5)including the HD versions and some others (Jewellery Channel etc). But - all are tuned to England variations rather than my previous Scotland versions. Firstly, why did everything disappear when it had been absolutely fine (equipment and dish position must have been fine) secondly, is there anything to be done to actually restore everything back as it was?

| Fri 2 Aug 2013 16:02:20 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

When you do a freesat retune the signal from a single transponder is used to obtain channels, postcodes and epg. This channel on 11428 H comes from 28.5E rather than 28.2E so your dish or LNB skew could be slightly out.

After the tune the channels are all stored.

To see the signal you get you can look at a channel on the above transponder - 407 Fashion One Europe

| Fri 2 Aug 2013 16:30:18 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBaker

Thanks
    407 Fashion One Europe is showing Strength 80% and Quality 20% and is breaking up.
    Talk of transponders etc. is unknown to me so I can only indicate what I see. On the manual tune I have:
    Tuner

| Sat 3 Aug 2013 11:14:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBaker

Ignore previous.

Thanks
    407 Fashion One Europe is showing Strength 80% and Quality 20% and is breaking up.
    Talk of transponders etc. is unknown to me so I can only indicate what I see. On the manual tune I have:
    Tuner - Tuner 1
    Satellite - Freesat 28.2e
    Transponder - All. When I use the drop-down list 11428H is not present
    Strength is 100%
    Quality 80%

Are you saying that I should get the dish/lnb checked? There hasn't been any interference so far as I am aware.

| Sat 3 Aug 2013 11:17:19 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

MrBaker - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Ignore previous.
    Thanks
    Tuner - Tuner 1
    Satellite - Freesat 28.2e
    Transponder - All. When I use the drop-down list 11428H is not present
    Strength is 100%
    Quality 80%
    Are you saying that I should get the dish/lnb checked? There hasn't been any interference so far as I am aware.

On some boxes the transponder details are 11427 H (It's just down to rounding). If you have 20% quality from Menu/System/Diagnostics while viewing FASHION ONE and a stable picture your dish/lnb/cables need checking. Have you any trees close to you in the direction the dish points ?

| Sat 3 Aug 2013 11:30:21 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBaker

Nothing in direct line of the dish. What I don't understand is, if I was receiving the majority of programmes perfectly and for the correct area (Scotland) with the same dish alignment, why isn't it possible to simply re-tune back to that same state? As indicated in the 1st post, I was re-tuning to recover some minor channels and if I hadn't bothered, then it seems that this situation wouldn't have occurred.
    Thanks for your help.

| Sat 3 Aug 2013 11:55:34 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The epg is delivered in two ways. A complete download from the Freesat home transponder (11428 H) and also every channel you can receive also carries a copy of the full epg. When the box is on the data from the channel the box is tuned to constantly trickle charges the epg. In this way the box appears to be working normally until you notice that you are missing some channels. If one of the lost transponders is the Freesat home transponder (which your signal from 11427 H indicates is the case) then then you have a problem when you initiate a freesat retune.

When you initiate the retune the box downloads a copy of the postcode database from the home transponder. It uses this data together with your postcode to regionalise your local channels like 101 102 103 etc.

If the home transponder is not receivable the process fails because you can't get past the post code verification.

When you use manual tune, the box simply scans for the available transponders and stores any channels it finds on each transponder with a logical channel number (lcn) starting in order from 5000. The channel themselves don't have a channel number. The Freesat lcn's come from the epg, Sky lcn's come from the Sky epg.

There's a number of possibilities that may be creating your problem.

1 Water has got into the coax cables, if this is the case get then changed pdq, water can track down inside the cables into your box

2 The dish and/or lnb has moved slightly

3 The lnb is failing

The other possibility of trees/vegetation obscuring the dish view has already been eliminated.

Download this file and open it using the File open command in your browser.

https://www.adrive.com/public/t3jBkt/FoxsatStaticMK2_011.htm

| Sat 3 Aug 2013 12:31:33 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrBaker

Thank you very much for your assistance. I will have a check made of all equipment and rectify as necessary.

| Sat 3 Aug 2013 12:56:21 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Graham's link should provide the answer. If, as I suspect, you have poor signals on all the channels marked "EUT28A" (at 28.5E) then your dish is a tad out of alignment and I suspect you are pointed at around 28.0E. This will bring the Astra group of satellites in well but not EUTELSAT at 28.5E. Normally a dish should be aligned to 28.35E where both positions can be received normally.

| Sat 3 Aug 2013 13:01:42 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.