My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Other Humax Products

iHDR5200c hard disk usage by what?

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

gruttosingel

hi, I have an iHDR-5200c which I use regularly for recording all sorts of stuff and I am satisfied with its performance. There is only one thing that does not seem right: the hard disk shows an unusual usage percentage. According to the system, only 83% is available. My hard disk is 500 Gb therefore, a lot of space must be used by something but what? I have transferred al content to external drives therefore there is no media in the HD of the recorder. If a user purchases a 500 Gb HD product, the expectation is that this is usable space. If this is not the case, the buyer should be made clearly aware of this. I have already formatted the HD with the function provided within the menu but nothing changed.

| Tue 15 Jan 2013 18:10:40 #1 |
  2. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

The syetem will use a fair chunk of disk space for things like record buffer etc. You can rewind live TV so the HDR has to record that information somewhere, and that accounts for a fair proportion of disk space.

| Tue 15 Jan 2013 18:19:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

gruttosingel

Thanks for the fast answer. It makes sense. This means that the users are buying a product thinking they can use 100% of it and instead they will be able to use only 75%. This is not fair at all. My HD gets full quite quickly and I am to transfer content often to make sure I don't run out of space.
    I think Humax ought to make this very clear in the manual and the specifications.

| Tue 15 Jan 2013 18:24:29 #3 |
  4. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

Humax say you can record roughly a number of hours of TV in the specifications. It is impossible to determine exactly how many hours can be recorded due to the differences between bitrates on each TV stream. Therefore, programmes of the same length will take up different amounts of space on the drive when their transmitted bitrates are different.

This is especially true when comparing high-def programmes to standard-def ones.

| Tue 15 Jan 2013 18:33:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

gruttosingel

For what concerns the number of hours: OK, that can vary.
    For what concerns the HD space which is available to the user, that is not correct. Humax really should say: look, we sell this decoder\recorder with a 500 Gb HD and then there should be a disclaimer "note: the system reserves about 114 Gb, therefore, available space for recording becomes 383 Gb. This is a big difference.
    I have some spare HD of 2 Tb each, is there a way that I could swap one of them as internal disk and I would not have to worry about space?

| Tue 15 Jan 2013 18:37:59 #5 |
  6. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

I don't understand why the amount of space is so important, unless you know exactly how much space will be used by the programmes you choose to record.

When you buy a PC with 500GB of disk space, you know a fair portion of that will be taken up by the OS, but no-one selling a PC tells you how much that will be.

| Tue 15 Jan 2013 18:44:06 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

gruttosingel

It is a bit different. I can choose to install a minimal version of the OS, or I can choose a variety of OS that have different sizes. Here I have no choice. And is not 130 Gb. In any case, for some users is important. For example, if you record series or even just films or other stuff, the space is soon gone. But in any case, it is a matter of principle, transparency.

| Tue 15 Jan 2013 18:49:35 #7 |
  8. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

Theres a discussion about the HDR T2 here.

| Tue 15 Jan 2013 18:54:57 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

gruttosingel

Thanks

| Tue 15 Jan 2013 19:02:07 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

You can use your 2TB, however you'll probably need to format it externally and there are warranty considerations.
    Re. 500GB and usable space, there's a difference between manufacturer's 1,000 x 1,000 and 1,024 x 1,024. Most systems will need some form of a file system so if you put your 2Tb drive in your pc you'll soon find out that you as a user can't actually use 2TB of it once formatted. This isn't anything to do with Humax, but is standard and generally accepted. Some manufacturers will copy contents of the ROM/NVRAM to the drive, some for pvr use will copy the EPG, space needs to be set aside to buffer streamed content and space needs to be set aside for buffering, in Humax's case, the 2hr rewind facility.
    I can assure you that if you take the 500GB drive out of the Humax and put it into a pc then you still won't have 500GB of usable space.
    Add into the mix that due to bitrate and resolution an hour's worth of programme maybe 1GB, 1.5GB, 2GB or 2.5GB etc. and you'll realise that what a user can actually keep on a 500GB or 1TB model needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

The principle here is that Humax are being transparent, they state very clearly that the 500GB can store up to 120 hours of HD content.
    "De ingebouwde harde schijf van de HUMAX IHDR-5200C heeft een capaciteit van 500 GB waarmee u maximaal 120 uur kunt opnemen in HDTV-kwaliteit"
    I'm quite happy to bash Humax when they get things wrong, however here you are barking up the wrong tree.
    Furthermore if you're already having problems with space on a 500GB then 2TB won't make any difference, you will fill it up and you will have to delete something, albeit a bit later. Whether you swap the internal 500GB for a 2TB drive or simply use the 2TB's externally is a personal decision

| Wed 16 Jan 2013 3:08:26 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.