My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Inconsistent boot issue after HDD replacement

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Andy100

Hi
    A fortnight ago I swapped out the faulty original 1Tb HDD in my HDR2000T Freeview box with a new Seagate 1Tb video-capable HDD (the same one I've seen MartinL recommend in previous posts, so I'm sure the new drive is ok).
    When I boot the box, it starts up (takes a few secs longer than before), and the picture appears, but most times I do this, I can't call up the recorded-programmes list (it just doesn't respond to the Media keypress). If I switch the unit straight off and on again, it starts up fine (and slightly quicker), and the media-list is accessible again. But sometimes it starts up fine first time.
    It sounds stupid, but it seems like it's more likely to start up fine if the TV is already switched on first, but it's too soon to say this with any statistical certainty, and whilst I guess it can tell through the HDMI cable whether the TV is on, it's hard to see what it would care.
    I wouldn't be bothered about this minor inconvenience, as a double start-up isn't too onerous, but this issue also means that when it wakes up overnight (or whenever) to make a timed recording, it often fails to record the show, presumably because it has started up in the same non media-list-friendly way that I often get to see.
    Any ideas what I can do to make it start up properly and reliably every time? I've reset the box after installing the new HDD, so I guess it's not that. Ideas welcome.
    Cheers all,
    Andy

| Mon 9 Sep 2019 22:58:44 #1 |
  2. Trev

Trev

special member

Presumably it didn't do this before the HDD transplant? Swap the drives again and see if it still does it, or is the original drive totally beyond help?

| Tue 10 Sep 2019 7:44:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Andy100

It was fine before the transplant - I never had any start-up problems.
    And nope, I can't swap the drives back, as the old one is dead. (It started making clicking noises, then the box said that I'd need to reformat to continue, but then when I tried, it wouldn't even allow that.)

| Tue 10 Sep 2019 8:24:54 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Try removing and firmly reseating the HDD data cable. Symptoms suggest a dodgy connection. If that doesn't work do a HDD format (factory reset with format option).

| Tue 10 Sep 2019 10:25:41 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Andy100

Ok, shall give that a try this evening. Cheers Graham!

| Tue 10 Sep 2019 10:27:38 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.