My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

"Instant Replay" Setting

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

souporjuice

When you hit pause, sometimes it skips back rather than just pausing at the point you click the pause button, and it seems the skip back time is controlled by the "instant replay" setting.

Anyone else find this annoying? It's not consistent (is it only the first time you pause it happens?) and there's no way to switch it off. Personally, I'd rather it just paused exactly at the moment I pressed pause, not jump back 15 seconds (which is the default setting).

| Thu 7 Mar 2013 21:57:05 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

My HDR-1000s pauses instantly at the point when the button is pressed. Only the reverse skip key jumps back 15 seconds.

| Thu 7 Mar 2013 22:57:53 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

souporjuice

Interesting... It definitely seems to jump back for me, and only kicks in the first time I pause live tv (it works properly on recordings)

| Thu 7 Mar 2013 23:16:08 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

grahamlthompson - 26 minutes ago  » 
    My HDR-1000s pauses instantly at the point when the button is pressed. Only the reverse skip key jumps back 15 seconds.

Not with liveTV it doesn't. 

The first time pause is pressed it jumps back into the buffer by a few seconds, after that it will pause instantly at the point the button was pressed. 

Try it with non buffered live TV, I think you'll find the Foxsat HDR is exactly the same. 

| Thu 7 Mar 2013 23:25:00 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

souporjuice

Ok, to reproduce:

1. Watching live TV;
    2. Press pause;
    3. Screen goes black briefly and it skips back about 7 seconds.
    4. Pressing pause again pauses immediately, while you're playing back from the buffer.
    5. Press exit to get back to live TV;
    6. Pressing pause skips back again.

I'm mistaken about the "instant replay" setting having any significance here (I had it set to 7 seconds, and pausing live TV skips back 7 secs, but this is a coincidence).

Still annoying though, can anyone else repro?

| Thu 7 Mar 2013 23:29:21 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

souporjuice

Ok, this is expected behaviour? I don't like it! Never mind, I'll just put it down to yet another usability / UI foible about this box that annoys me.

| Thu 7 Mar 2013 23:31:14 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

souporjuice - 23 minutes ago  » 
    Ok, this is expected behaviour? I don't like it! Never mind, I'll just put it down to yet another usability / UI foible about this box that annoys me.

Could it be skipping back to the I frame at the start of the gop. Pausing mid gop would be very hard to do. I rarely if ever pause live TV, most stuff is watched in chasing playback, same on the Foxsat-hdr.

| Thu 7 Mar 2013 23:57:30 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

No idea what "mid gop" is, but it can't be that difficult to instantly and seamlessly pause live TV. My Panasonic Freesat TV it can manage it, Sky+does the same so I've been told. 
    With both Humax HDR's you have to stay a few seconds behind 'live', if you get too close to the live broadcast they will jump forward, involving another black screen. 

| Fri 8 Mar 2013 10:15:29 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 21 minutes ago  » 
    No idea what "mid gop" is, but it can't be that difficult to instantly and seamlessly pause live TV. My Panasonic Freesat TV it can manage it, Sky+does the same so I've been told. 
    With both Humax HDR's you have to stay a few seconds behind 'live', if you get too close to the live broadcast they will jump forward, involving another black screen. 

If you use the forward skip keys when close to live you can't jump out of the buffer. At standard settings the forward skip stops working if less than 2 minutes left. GOP is group of pictures. Basically digital works by sending one full frame (I frame) followed by a load of data that records the differences required to rebuild the subsequent frames in a packet of data known as a GOP. Seamless pause is easy at an I frame, much harder at an intermediate point from the point of seamless replay. Ever noticed the slight delay on digital when changing channel compared to analogue, the picture can't appear till the first I frame is received.

| Fri 8 Mar 2013 10:43:08 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 11 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 26 minutes ago  » 

Not with liveTV it doesn't. 
    The first time pause is pressed it jumps back into the buffer by a few seconds, after that it will pause instantly at the point the button was pressed. 
    Try it with non buffered live TV, I think you'll find the Foxsat HDR is exactly the same. 

The foxsat-hdr on restart from pause on channels using ac3 loses a second or so of audio, this doesn't happen on a HDR-1000s. As I said using chasing playback eliminates all pausing issues, especially the loss of the end if using time slip on a programme you are also recording when the programme ends.

In any case if recording two and watching a 3rd then live pause only works if the two recordings happen to be from the same transponder.

| Fri 8 Mar 2013 10:54:58 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.