My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Interface slow?

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

aphex

I've the cappucino 4000T since September. Before that I had two generations of the BT-branded Youview box from Humax.

Is the user interface slower than for other Humax-branded products? Since day 1 (no recordings), I can count to 4 between each menu item, and about 10 when bringing up recordings (I am <20% full). It's slightly maddening!

The BT-branded ones were snappy on their interfaces. Is my box slow due to a fault or is this normal behaviour?

Thanks!

| Fri 11 Nov 2016 14:37:10 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

Sounds like you have a problem with the box - I haven't noticed it being particularly slow. I'm certainly not waiting seconds for menu items/recordings.

| Tue 15 Nov 2016 13:08:01 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

It is very unresponsive at times.
    When I got my box I updated the software immediately, but I did not do a factory reset afterwards which was a mistake as it would have been the obvious time. The following few weeks I had all sorts of problems, rebooting, rebooting in iplayer, network shares all over the place, missing recordings etc. etc.

It's now settled down and has been fairly consistent with no reboots, but a UI (user interface) that is unresponsive and lacking. One of the network share problems magically cleared itself up after a couple of weeks with no intervention from me or new software.
    I can well imagine people coming from different platforms being upset and finding fault with the software, even myself coming from a previous humax generation.

I have noticed problems with the iplayer servers at times not delivering the content quickly enough and as the box does not buffer or store the content unlike some of the very older models this will and does lead to problems for online streaming content. Also BT openreach seem to have been doing major work in the background for the last few weeks up and down the country which won't help either.

The box can take a few minutes to start after rebooting with just a meaningless blue or red LED at times simply indicating a blue or red LED.
    It's very unresponsive through menus at times, quite often it won't respond as quickly as I expect and I've automatically pressed the remote button again thinking it hadn't received the first command and it was just slow and then it'll do several steps that I didn't want.
    Playing a file back over the network, very unresponsive, find a file eventually, press to play, the screen shows the same menu for 10 seconds or so then can go completely blank for up to 30 seconds before playing the start. The first few times I either assumed it couldn't play the content or I'd pushed buttons or pulled the plug assuming it'd frozen.
    It's very difficult to figure out whether it's the ISP, local environment, hardware or software that is causing issues. I can imagine plenty of people getting frustrated and returning a box that has no physical hardware problems.
    I've not factory reset (factory default no format) my box yet as I was waiting for the new software due start of November. I'm still holding back for the release due week of the 21st.

Personally, I'm going to wait for the new software, take a note of my recording schedule and factory reset my box after the update. Any problems after that I'm sure will be the box being a bit unresponsive and the UI software niggles not doing what I would like it to do.

| Tue 15 Nov 2016 19:05:30 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mattw80

I completely agree. The interface is at times not very intuitive to use, but I could forgive this if it wasn't so damn slow. I find it very frustrating and would be my number one priority in terms of things I would like to see improved.

| Thu 17 Nov 2016 10:44:16 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

aphex

Last night I went through the exercise of doing a factory reset (keeping recordings) to see if it would increase the snappiness of the interface. Sadly, if it did help, it did by a modest amount rather than a large amount.

I am resigned to slowly pressing menu buttons...

| Thu 17 Nov 2016 17:03:08 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.