My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

INTERNET CHANNELS

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

AA

Hi, I'm new here - can anyone please share their experiences of the Internet-based channels on the DTR-2000 You-View box?
    My 'box' seems the same as BT boxes but is a HUMAX 'non-contract' device.
    I have a very good signal here (sometimes says 101%!) and tune (at present) to 151 channels of which many are not BBC/ITV etc. but tell me to connect to the Internet to stream. BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub and ALL4/My5 all stream from the menu 'tile' without issue via my router: the box is connected via a Cat6 cable and would have a full 1Gbps if the box could handle it.

My problem is that I can't view the Internet channels which are not the 'featured' ones...
    There are only one or two exceptions: e.g. C265 tells me to press RED to launch the app. and functions thereafter. On the other channels which have no 'tile' I see messages such as 'Connect to the Internet to view this channel' or 'Your device is not connected to the Internet". For example: C271 "Channelbox" says it is 'FREE multi-channel streaming via your Internet connection' and tells me to 'Connect Your Freeview Receiver to Start Watching'. As there is no app./tile I press the RED button in case it functions as per C265 - but nothing happens...

Is this normal/ are these channels NOT available or do I have a problem (I have never been able to view these channels to my knowledge)..?

My box is identified as DTRT2000 Variant 84B07000 with S/W 3.8.106 and 32.144.10.

What can you all tell me please? Should I be able to stream these channels or is it a FreeView/YouView disparity preventing them from being viewed?

Thanks in anticipation...

AA

| Tue 28 Feb 2023 11:56:00 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

AA - 48 mins ago  » 
    There are only one or two exceptions: e.g. C265 tells me to press RED to launch the app. and functions thereafter. On the other channels which have no 'tile' I see messages such as 'Connect to the Internet to view this channel' or 'Your device is not connected to the Internet". For example: C271 "Channelbox" says it is 'FREE multi-channel streaming via your Internet connection' and tells me to 'Connect Your Freeview Receiver to Start Watching'.

There are posts on a BT Forum saying it isn't available on Youview see https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/ChannelBox/td-p/2157671

| Tue 28 Feb 2023 12:45:35 #2 |
  3. gomezz

gomezz

special member

How is the Youview box connected to the router? Ethernet cable or what?

| Tue 28 Feb 2023 12:47:30 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

Hello AA,

Hopefully I can answer your main query. I am involved with the Youview community forum, so know quite a lot about the Youview boxes. You can't get the internet channels if you are not subscribed to BT contract. It doesn't work like that. As a non subscripton box you need to connect your Youview pvr box to internet via Ethernet cable directly to router or use a powerline adaptor (box is NOT Wifi enabled). You need the internet to set up your box plus also for catch up tv apps, aerial for standard Freeview channels ONLY, BUT you won't get the extra content that you are mentioning.

If you need more advice, you will find a lot more information on the Youview community forum: https://community.youview.com/youview/ Trust this answers your questions? John L

| Tue 28 Feb 2023 12:56:50 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

AA

Hi and Yep! the box is fully wired to the router with Cat6 ethernet - I don't use wifi if I can avoid it (for anything) - I am aware that the DTR is wired-only...
    There are an awful lot of these channels. The C265 channel works so I can't really see that there should be an issue..! To be clear, is a HUMAX FREEVIEW able to get this content (e.g. C271) but YOUVIEW not? I have (somewhere) a NOWTV 'Freeview' box which tunes and streams - interestingly streamed-All4 was much higher quality on this box than the DTRT2000 but that's a different matter...

'Guess I should start hiding these channels...

| Tue 28 Feb 2023 13:41:44 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

AA - 15 mins ago  » 
    Is a HUMAX FREEVIEW able to get this content (e.g. C271) but YOUVIEW not?

Based on a very brief tes,t my Humax Aura (Freeview+) box can stream from channel 271 "Channelbox".

| Tue 28 Feb 2023 13:59:00 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

AA - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi and Yep! the box is fully wired to the router with Cat6 ethernet - I don't use wifi if I can avoid it (for anything) - I am aware that the DTR is wired-only...
    There are an awful lot of these channels. The C265 channel works so I can't really see that there should be an issue..! To be clear, is a HUMAX FREEVIEW able to get this content (e.g. C271) but YOUVIEW not? I have (somewhere) a NOWTV 'Freeview' box which tunes and streams - interestingly streamed-All4 was much higher quality on this box than the DTRT2000 but that's a different matter...
    'Guess I should start hiding these channels...

Hi AA,
    Have you got a copy of the instructions? You can hide the channels that are internet + any you don't need. They are there when you first use the box/reset the box. A few may work, but mainly non subscription. The Youview box design is aimed mainly for subscription customers, but I use mine just for standard channels - I purchased my own box many years back. Not enough hours in the day to watch even more channels! I only watch the HD channels mainly. John L

| Tue 28 Feb 2023 14:49:46 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

AA - 1 hour ago  » 
    is a HUMAX FREEVIEW able to get this content (e.g. C271) but YOUVIEW not?

Youview boxes cannot use C271 - Channelbox, nor can they use C264 - Vision TV.

Also, if I recall correctly, some of the nearby streaming channels in the epg are slightly more chunky to access on a youview box as well.

| Tue 28 Feb 2023 15:02:57 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

AA

Thanks for all your comments.

My TV is in fact a (real) Hitachi 120hz monitor (no tuner) with only one HDMI (and a D15) so adding in other boxes is problematic: it was designed to use Hitachi's dedicated add-on 'set-top box'. The 'telly' hates low quality 'SD' but holds up very well against modern TVs on HD and dynamic-motion stuff.

Has anyone noticed how ALL4 is poor of video quality?

The NOWTV (Sky) streams at what appears to be HD but the YouView Humax is SD or worse. I was told that NOW/Sky had a special arrangement not available (or not negotiated for use) by YouView.
    The basic Netflix package we have streams OK and BBC at HD is very good.
    Other stuff (My5/ITVHub (and All4)) I go out of my way to record from C103/4/5 as they do not look good at all when accessed from the Internet.

Is Freeview+ ALL4 streaming (on other than NOWTV/Sky) HD or at an inferior bitrate? I'd be grateful to know. And what do others see as YouView vs Freeview+ pro&Cons? I detect a change may be on the cards...

Regards

| Wed 1 Mar 2023 14:02:32 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

AA - 3 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for all your comments.
    My TV is in fact a (real) Hitachi 120hz monitor (no tuner) with only one HDMI (and a D15) so adding in other boxes is problematic: it was designed to use Hitachi's dedicated add-on 'set-top box'. The 'telly' hates low quality 'SD' but holds up very well against modern TVs on HD and dynamic-motion stuff.
    Has anyone noticed how ALL4 is poor of video quality?
    The NOWTV (Sky) streams at what appears to be HD but the YouView Humax is SD or worse. I was told that NOW/Sky had a special arrangement not available (or not negotiated for use) by YouView.
    The basic Netflix package we have streams OK and BBC at HD is very good.
    Other stuff (My5/ITVHub (and All4)) I go out of my way to record from C103/4/5 as they do not look good at all when accessed from the Internet.
    Is Freeview+ ALL4 streaming (on other than NOWTV/Sky) HD or at an inferior bitrate? I'd be grateful to know. And what do others see as YouView vs Freeview+ pro&Cons? I detect a change may be on the cards...
    Regards

Hi AA,

to answer your question ref freeview vs Youview. Both have mainly the same channels, but different apps. Technology at the moment is changing all the time. Eventually (in a few years or more) the Broadcasters are hoping to roll out internet tv across all tv platforms. So we should see 4/8K content via internet. As you may know on Freesat platform, the BBC are upgrading tv regions to HD ;not all full HD at the moment for the regional news. I have noticed BBC South East & Midlands today are still in SD even on the HD channel. The rest of content is Full HD (maybe upscaled on some programmes). This year & I think it's around April, Freeview/Youview will also receive HD on local news. It's all changing in some ways at a very slow pace, but in other ways fast; some users have not caught up with technology. They still have SD or HD ready TVs : that need Full HD receiver/pvr equipment added. Very confusing if you are not aware of technology.

AA I think the best you can do is either wait & see what's round the next corner or maybe purchase a good used pvr? Humax's current Aura or FVP-4000T/5000T models. Youview's current model is the BT Pro but expensive used + mainly via subscription, or 2nd best is the BT DTR-T2100 & 4000 models but only now sold used. Ideally would be great if shops could do a demo! Have a read of the reviews online. Hopefully been able to help you in some way? John L

| Wed 1 Mar 2023 17:50:57 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.