My Humax Forum » The Lounge

Internet via 4G in rural France

(5 posts)
  1. hairbear

hairbear

Hi all. Do any of the members based in France have any experience of any of the internet via 4G offerings available ? I've moved to France recently and will be moving to a property with only 3mbps available. This sort of thing would be ideal for me. One of the offerings is

Bouygues telecom 4G internet offering

Any comments gratefully accepted.

hairbear.

Thu 14 Feb 2019 15:05:43 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Interesting. You would need to also subscribe to either a smart DNS or VPN if you want most UK catch up services (Such services usually offer a limited trial).

The 3mbs implies a rural property - have you tested that you can receive 4G? I only have a weak 3G signal in Perchede (Gers).

If you have the telephone number of the property you can check out the details of the line here:
    http://www.degrouptest.com/
    Choose degrouptest when asked

You can see 4G voverage here:
    https://www.nperf.com/en/map/FR/-/6.Bouygues-Telecom/signal/?ll=43.78367751323935&lg=-0.13585088352556343&zoom=16
    You will see how patchy my 3G is.

Thu 14 Feb 2019 15:53:29 #2 |
  3. hairbear

hairbear

Hi REPASSAC, thanks for the speedy reply. Yes, it is a rural propery in the Black Mountains between Carcassonne and Mazamet. I have a VPN already and working fine in a rental property in Montreal, West of Carcassonne. The people we're buying from said thet got 'around 4mbps', and Ariase website says 3.2mbps, and we do have degroupage. Maire says 2 years before we get better broadband . Checked 4G coverage already,and it's very good, which is why I was considering 4G internet. Only thing is, they don't mention telephone via IP which is supported on all the other Bouygues offerings via Adsl/Vdsl/Fibre. Mind you, 3.2mbps is better than my previous place in Deux-Sevres, which was quoted as 'less than 512kbps' !

hairbear.

Thu 14 Feb 2019 16:44:12 #3 |
  4. hairbear

hairbear

Decided to go for ADSL via phone line for the time being. Engineer turned up and said "I can connect you via a faster line if you want" (in French of course !). He did, and my 3-4 mbps turned into 70mbps

Mon 13 May 2019 14:05:41 #4 |
  5. hairbear

hairbear

Decided to go for ADSL via phone line for the time being. Engineer turned up and said "I can connect you via a faster line if you want" (in French of course !). He did, and my 3-4 mbps turned into 70mbps . Seems we do have FTTC in the village that was commissioned a few months ago, even though the Mairie didn't seem to know about it. The cabinet is about 100m away and very well hidden from view. Happy days !

hairbear.

Mon 13 May 2019 14:06:11 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.