My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

iPlayer acess has been changed

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

coxwalls

The iPlayer interface on my Humax has suddenly been changed, and I can no longer access radio iPlayer (TV iPlayer is fine). Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a way I can access radio iPlayer?

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 8:44:01 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The BBC have dropped radio from iplayer services.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/Welcome-to-the-new-BBC-iPlayer-on-TV

Catch up radio is available on tablets, PC's and Smart Phones.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 8:47:34 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

coxwalls

Golly, that was quick, thank you. It appears that I am in an uneconomic minority!

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 8:52:20 #3 |
  4. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Unfortunately the new version (v4) does not run well on the HDR-FOX. When you navigate to a new tile it resizes. This works fine and is very smooth on my Samsung TV (smart TV app), for example, but is slow and laboured on the HDR-FOX and leads to very slow navigation, giving it a jerky appearance and an spongy feel. I have also had problems with the box rebooting sometimes when attempting to play an iPlayer programme but I don't know if this is a general problem or not. I never had that happen on version 3. Overall I am very unhappy with it: if they could not get it to run properly they should not have upgraded. It is so bad, I have stopped using it now. Like most people now I have several ways of accessing iPlayer. Unless you have no alternative I recommend using a smart TV app, PS3, Now TV box, smart blu-ray player, Chromecast, even Sky: every device I have tried is better than the HDR-FOX as it is currently.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 10:26:56 #4 |
  5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

MontysEvilTwin - 21 minutes ago  » 
    if they could not get it to run properly they should not have upgraded.

And that there lies the problem, it was either upgrade it to v4 or not have it at all as the old version was being discontinued.
    Perhaps you should pass feedback onto the BBCiPlayer team and see if it's something they can look into to try and improve its functionality.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 10:54:13 #5 |
  6. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

-gonzo- - 7 minutes ago  » 

MontysEvilTwin - 21 minutes ago  » 
    if they could not get it to run properly they should not have upgraded.

And that there lies the problem, it was either upgrade it to v4 or not have it at all as the old version was being discontinued.
    Perhaps you should pass feedback onto the BBCiPlayer team and see if it's something they can look into to try and improve its functionality.

That is not strictly accurate. Version 2 of iPlayer of was discontinued in September, version 3 (the version on the HDR-FOX running 1.03.xx software until 12 days ago) is still running happily on other devices e.g. Sony blu-ray players, Roku/ Now TV etc. The BBC are quite keen to roll out v4, so v3 will be discontinued at some point but this is probably at least a year away, if past precedent is anything to go by. My point is that Humax did not need to rush out a shoddy implementation of v4 for the HDR-FOX T2, they had plently of time to get it right. Unless, of course, the processor in the HDR-FOX is not up to running v4 effectively. I have used v4 on a Samsung smart TV, Samsung blu-ray player, ps3: it is fine. So it is hard to see how it is the BBC's fault it is so bad on the HDR-FOX. I believe v4 also runs well on the HDR-2000T. I wonder if the Humax app was optimised for the HDR-2000T but not for the HDR-FOX?

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 11:19:50 #6 |
  7. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

Met, humax don't really have anything to do with it.
    The iPlayer site that is loaded on the portal is redirected based on your browser agent. So the bbc have decided that the HDR loads v4. I doubt that was an instruction from humax.
    The manufacturers do not build iPlayer apps, the bbc build one version that accounts for the different specs using the browser agent as the identifier.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 11:55:50 #7 |
  8. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

chrisdaniels - 19 minutes ago  » 
    Met, humax don't really have anything to do with it.
    The iPlayer site that is loaded on the portal is redirected based on your browser agent. So the bbc have decided that the HDR loads v4. I doubt that was an instruction from humax.
    The manufacturers do not build iPlayer apps, the bbc build one version that accounts for the different specs using the browser agent as the identifier.

This does not explain why the menu navigation is so slow and laggy on the HDR-FOX but is fine on the HDR-2000T.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 12:17:07 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Newer box, faster processor and more memory I would imagine.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 12:24:29 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I have just tried iplayer on a HDR FOX T2 (Last time I used it was Last Night Of The Proms). Started to watch a episode of Strictly in HD. It worked just fine for me.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 12:31:53 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.