My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

iPlayer requires tuner?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

A programme was recording and I decided to watch iPlayer, knowing that a second, overlapping recording was due to start soon. When the second programme's start time arrived I was warned of a conflict and had to stop watching iPlayer.

I was surprised as I assumed that iPlayer wouldn't use a tuner, especially while actually playing a programme. Is this expected behaviour?

| Wed 3 Oct 2012 8:32:46 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

When watching iPlayer a tuner is still being used for the current live channel and it is a conflict with this that the warning was about. Did you try restarting iPlayer after the second recording had started? I have never seen this issue myself but I would agree that it is another example of poorly thought out Humax usability.

| Wed 3 Oct 2012 9:35:05 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

Yes, I was able to restart iPlayer and watch the rest of the programme I'd been watching, though I think I did this after the first programme had finished recording. In other words - and I haven't definitely proved this - it seems that it's not possible to record two programmes and watch iPlayer.

| Wed 3 Oct 2012 20:26:14 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

chrissaf

| Sat 6 Oct 2012 8:42:47 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I think it would depend on which two channels you were recording, just like any other channel.

| Sat 6 Oct 2012 9:20:18 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alan White

I'd assumed that all iPlayer traffic would use ethernet: I hadn't appreciated that iPlayer is itself a satellite channel. In this context the "current live channel" is iPlayer and this means that use of iPlayer is subject to the same limitations as any other two channels.

I can understand - or at least make educated guesses as to - why this is but it is a little disappointing and I was very confused when the conflict warning appeared while I was watching a programme on iPlayer

| Sat 6 Oct 2012 10:07:37 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I understand that it is a mixture of the two, at least initially.

| Sat 6 Oct 2012 10:28:06 #7 |
  8. bob_dvb

bob_dvb

Humax

The iPlayer MHEG app needs to be downloaded from the satellite multiplex each time because the broadcaster needs to manage the process around their app and to keep it up-to-date.

| Wed 17 Oct 2012 15:23:38 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.