My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Is my Humax HDR failing?

(10 posts)
  1. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

Symptoms:
    1. Menus taking several seconds to react.
    2. Occasional total lockup requiring hard power-off to escape.

My Humax HDR is nearly 8 years old and the above symptoms have started quite recently. I have checked the remote batteries and they are OK; the 'red light' on the remote operates when buttons are pressed. Lockups have occurred when the HDR is recording 2 channels and I am deleting a watched programme. Last night my wife managed to get a lockup by going into the Red Button service while 2 recordings were taking place. Fortunately, although the box is locked up, the recordings continue until the power is removed. Left to its own devices the HDR would record until the disk was full. BTW, the HDD is only 16% full.

So, might it be a failing HDD or a failing PSU?

| Mon 4 Jul 2016 15:57:53 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

My six-year old has also start displaying the slow menus symptom. I wonder if there some broadcasting change which is triggering this?

| Mon 4 Jul 2016 16:52:04 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Try a reset to factory defaults. Make a note of your recording schedule first as you will need to re-enter (Using a digital camera to photograph the schedule is a good idea).

| Mon 4 Jul 2016 20:02:47 #3 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Will do before my weekly timer check and set on Thursday after I have marked up the new Radio Times with my planned viewing.

| Mon 4 Jul 2016 23:46:19 #4 |
  5. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

I'm wanting to run the 'fix-disk' utility in Maintenance Mode, but I do not know how to start a Telnet session. All the guides seem to say "To enable maintenance mode it is simply a matter of opening a telnet session and entering the 'fix-disk' command." which is not helpful if, like me, you have no basic Telnet knowledge.

| Tue 5 Jul 2016 12:41:35 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Geoff_W - 21 minutes ago  » 
    I'm wanting to run the 'fix-disk' utility in Maintenance Mode, but I do not know how to start a Telnet session. All the guides seem to say "To enable maintenance mode it is simply a matter of opening a telnet session and entering the 'fix-disk' command." which is not helpful if, like me, you have no basic Telnet knowledge.

Open a command prompt. type CMD in run box, double click CMD.EXE

Enter the following where xxx.xxx.x.xxx is your box network IP address.

Telnet xxx.xxx.x.xxx

You should get a prompt confirming you are logged into your Foxsat-HDR

| Tue 5 Jul 2016 13:06:20 #6 |
  7. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

Thank you, Graham - that's all a lot clearer now. For some bizarre reason I thought the telnet commands had to be carried out on the Humax, not the laptop!

| Tue 5 Jul 2016 16:10:18 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Geoff_W - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you, Graham - that's all a lot clearer now. For some bizarre reason I thought the telnet commands had to be carried out on the Humax, not the laptop!

You may have to install telnet into your windows version as by default it's not installed.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc771275%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

| Tue 5 Jul 2016 16:30:42 #8 |
  9. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

I got telnet working and carried out the fix-disk. Lots of errors reported and fixed. I had already renamed the 0.ts file so as to create another one on a different part of the disk. Finally, I've done a Factory Reset, restored my backed-up schedule and all seems well so far. Only time will tell whether or not that state continues long term...

| Wed 6 Jul 2016 11:27:00 #9 |
  10. gomezz

gomezz

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 week ago  » 
    Try a reset to factory defaults. Make a note of your recording schedule first as you will need to re-enter (Using a digital camera to photograph the schedule is a good idea).

Done it today but also had to change a few other default settings to get it back the way I like it such as turning off the Automatic Standby mode. One thing I should have made a note of was the Audio Delay setting and I will need to spend a few minutes with a talking head channel (eg BBC News HD) to get that right.

| Thu 14 Jul 2016 10:29:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.