My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Is there a future for Humax or any other Freeview

(5 posts)
  1. mickiow

mickiow

Hi all, With my now well used 2 Humax HDR FOX-T2 with 1TB hard drive boxes I am wondering what will be available to use when they do give up?

Retailers like Currys are saying nobody wants recorders now as it is easier to stream films!

I like I expect many others record all programmes I want to watch to either time shift of be able to fast forward over adverts, so what can the more knowledgeable here suggest please?
    Mick.

| Wed 27 Jul 2016 18:21:22 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I have added a VBox IP Freeview streamer to my network. This device records all content in the clear.

First impressions here

https://www.avforums.com/threads/vbox-xti-3332-or-something-else.2037443/#post-23892248

| Wed 27 Jul 2016 18:25:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Elmojo

If you don't have Internet or it is slow and/or intermittent then this is still a viable option. I have a fast reliable connection and work from home. So I like to switch all my kit off and just let the Humax do the work. I have powerful machines around me all day and the cooling systems are annoying when I am relaxing.
    So yes I think a future for Humax does exist but maybe with lower sales volumes.

| Wed 27 Jul 2016 19:11:14 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Elmojo - 46 seconds ago  » 
    If you don't have Internet or it is slow and/or intermittent then this is still a viable option. I have a fast reliable connection and work from home. So I like to switch all my kit off and just let the Humax do the work. I have powerful machines around me all day and the cooling systems are annoying when I am relaxing.
    So yes I think a future for Humax does exist but maybe with sales volumes.

Just to clarify the Vbox doesn't stream from the internet, it's a twin DVB-T2 tuner device that connects to your aerial. The output appears on your home network it doesn't need to be connected to the internet at all unless you wish to use it as a remote server (like a slingbox). Similar to a HDR FOX T2 but without direct video outputs.

| Wed 27 Jul 2016 19:14:54 #4 |
  5. gomezz

gomezz

special member

mickiow - 4 hours ago  » 
    Retailers like Currys are saying nobody wants recorders now as it is easier to stream films!.

1) Not all broadcast programmes are available to stream;

2) It is trickier (if possible at all) to skip ads on streamed programmes from commercial channels.

So on two counts Currys are dead wrong.

| Wed 27 Jul 2016 22:30:48 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.