My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Other Humax Products

Is there a way to extract video from .vid files?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

fabiospark

I have a PVR 8000 sat and i've been able to copy a recorded file to a PC. The extension is .vid and not VLC nor Stremclip are able to deal with it so I came here to ask if there is a way to extract the video (and audio, of course) section from the .vid file.
    Is it a sort of a zipped archive (like office "2010 and on" files)?
    Hope somebody can and will to help.
    Thanks.

| Sat 29 Feb 2020 17:04:07 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

fabiospark - 2 mins ago  » 
    I have a PVR 8000 sat and i've been able to copy a recorded file to a PC. The extension is .vid and not VLC nor Stremclip are able to deal with it so I came here to ask if there is a way to extract the video (and audio, of course) section from the .vid file.
    Hope somebody can and will to help.
    Thanks.

Welcome to our forum.

https://whatis.techtarget.com/fileformat/VID-Generic-video-file

Download the free Mediainfo app.

Open the Vid file. Select view tree. Export the results to a text file so we can see what it contains. copy and paste the text to this thread.

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

It's possible the contents are encrypted.

| Sat 29 Feb 2020 17:11:13 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

fabiospark - 12 mins ago  » 

There is a post here https://www.avforums.com/threads/humax-pvr8000-how-to-copy-recorded-programs-off-the-hard-drive.976137/ where xyz321 (who is well known here as the author of a utility for downloading recordings from a 9200T) says that recorded content on the 8000T is encrypted in which case you can't play it back (without finding a way to remove the encryption)>

| Sat 29 Feb 2020 17:20:47 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

fabiospark

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I did as you asked and I'm uploading the txt but I can see... there's nothing to look at.

I was hoping to find someone that had already dealt with this problem or some Humax technician that knows or is able to retrieve the way the file was created. Also, being a very old device I don't think there is any encryption. I had a couple of Topfield PVR 5000 and they recorded straight Ts files. Also, no HD on here.
    Thanks.

Attachments

1. Vid_file.txt (0.2 KB, 4 downloads) 4 years old
    | Sat 29 Feb 2020 17:29:11 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

fabiospark - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thank you for the prompt reply.
    I did as you asked and I'm uploading the txt but I can see... there's nothing to look at.
    I was hoping to find someone that had already dealt with this problem or some Humax technician that knows or is able to retrieve the way the file was created. Also, being a very old device I don't think there is any encryption. I had a couple of Topfield PVR 5000 and they recorded straight Ts files. Also, no HD on here.
    Thanks.

Did you pull down the file menu and select - View -tree ?

You said it was a a Sat model. The 8000T was a terrestrial DVB-T model. The topfield ones were around the same time.

| Sat 29 Feb 2020 18:47:09 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

fabiospark

Yes, I selected the view "tree" and that is all I can see.

The "8000T" you see in the path is my mistake because I mispelled it when I created the folder where to put all the drivers and apps related to the device.

I don't know the years of the Humax because I got it used only a few years ago when my Topfield passed away. I think I bought them around 1998 or something like that. Lovely machines, far better than this Humax. But that it's what I have now so I'm trying to make the most of it.

I will try and make a few seconds recording and then I will have a look with a hex editor. I don't know what to look for but you never know...

Thanks for your time, anyway.

| Sat 29 Feb 2020 20:32:33 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

fabiospark - 14 hours ago  » 
    Yes, I selected the view "tree" and that is all I can see.
    The "8000T" you see in the path is my mistake because I mispelled it when I created the folder where to put all the drivers and apps related to the device.
    I don't know the years of the Humax because I got it used only a few years ago when my Topfield passed away. I think I bought them around 1998 or something like that. Lovely machines, far better than this Humax. But that it's what I have now so I'm trying to make the most of it.
    I will try and make a few seconds recording and then I will have a look with a hex editor. I don't know what to look for but you never know...
    Thanks for your time, anyway.

you can use a USB capture device with a PC to create digital video and audio files in real time, using the box scart or RCA phono analogue outputs. These can be burnt in DVD-Video format to DVD blanks or simply saved on a PC.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rybozen-Grabber-Capture-Transfer-Converter/dp/B07YPRCZXQ/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1D6ELLF0RJZM6&tag=blusas008-21&keywords=usb+capture+card&qid=1583056685&sprefix=usb+capture%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-7

| Sun 1 Mar 2020 10:59:24 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.