My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Is there any sound settings on the 500T?

(16 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Stephenesque - 1 hour ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 21 hours ago  » 

Stephenesque - 45 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

pigolato - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Unfortunately the volume control on the remote doesn't affect the digital output level, either on SPDIF or HDMI. Which is a shame.

It depends on which channel you are using. It should work on SD channels but not on HD ones (SD channels have Mpeg1 layer 2 audio while HD have AAC audio - (the box recodes AAC to Dolby Digital. The volume level for Dolby Digital is encoded in the data stream, it can only be varied after the audio is decoded at the analogue stage. You can force the box to output mp2 for all channels but of course you lose any multichannel content that the broadcast may have. ITV never have 5.1 it's all 2.0 (stereo).

I'm not very technically minded, so I'm not sure what this means.
    My 4000T is connected to my TV via HDMI an I have a soundbar connected to the TV with an optical cable. I use the Humax remote to adjust the sound volume and it works on both HD and SD channels. I occasionally use the soundbar's remote to adjust the bass or treble.
    I have been thinking of replacing my soundbar with a 5.1 surround sound system, but as the only TV I watch is Freeview recordings on the 4000T, it appears that I wouldn't get any improvement in sound, if I'm reading this correctly.

A half decent AV receiver will have HDMI inputs and at least one HDMI output. Basically you would connect a 5000T to one of the receiver inputs along with any other kit like say a blueray player. The receiver HDMI out connects to your TV with this cable normally used to deliver only video. The receiver intercepts the audio and using it's internal Dolby Digital decoder sends up 6 channels (5.1) to speakers and a powered subwoofer, the amplifier volume control controls the volume. The audio used by HD channels can have up to 6 channels though much is is 2.0 (stereo). The sound is superior to the MP2 audio used by SD channels HDMI can carry so called HD audio (lossless like DTS Master HD as you can find on a bluray- disk. the other Digital S/Pdif outputs can handle Dolby Digital 5.1 but not the more advanced HD formats Also you can normally adjust the audio levels for each HDMI input
    So using a proper AV receiver should give you superior sound compared to a flat screen TV with it's tiny speakers.
    POP into a local Richer Sounds if you decide to go 5.1 or higher.
    The 5000T is unusual because it has seperate options for S/PDIF audio (Stereo/Dolby Digital) and HDMI Audio Out (Stereo/Dolby Digital). Changing the setting to stereo on either will downmix HD channels to MP2 audio and then the box volume control will work on either output.
    If you change either output to Dolby Digital and tune to A HD channel the box volume control will have no effect.

Thanks for your detailed reply Graham. I had to read it a couple of times for it to sink in, but I think I've got it now. The surround system I am considering is from Richer Sounds, and has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 output. The only reason I don't already have it is because it's an in-store purchase only and I need someone to take me there to buy it
    I checked my current audio settings on the Humax and found that the S/Pdif was set to Dolby Digital and the HDMI was set to Stereo. With this setting, or with both set to Stereo, I can use the Humax remote to adjust the volume from my soundbar, but if I change the HDMI to Dolby Digital then, as you say, the remote has no effect on the sound.

What's the system model number you are going to buy ? Think it might be the same as my Daughter has.

| Tue 16 Oct 2018 12:16:09 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

john1 - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi Phil, yes on the Humax remote there is a volume control.
    I have found it's much better to have the Humax volume on Max (20).
    I keep it like that all the time.
    I then use the volume control on my TV, or surround sound to set the volume needed.

Me too.

| Tue 16 Oct 2018 18:18:05 #12 |
  3. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

grahamlthompson
    What's the system model number you are going to buy ? Think it might be the same as my Daughter has.

I'm looking at the Yamaha YHT-1840.

| Tue 16 Oct 2018 20:58:57 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Stephenesque - 31 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson

Excellent choice at that price point

Add a Blu-ray player for the full HD audio experience. Some have full support for 24Hz video support (eliminates the jerky video when playing 24Hz content).

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-yht1840.html

| Tue 16 Oct 2018 21:31:04 #14 |
  5. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

grahamlthompson

Add a Blu-ray player for the full HD audio experience. Some have full support for 24Hz video support (eliminates the jerky video when playing 24Hz content).

Yes the positive reviews of it are very reassuring.
    I currently have 583 recordings on my 4000T to watch, not to mention a number of large, as yet unopened dvd box sets to find time for, so a Blu-ray player won’t be on my radar In the foreseeable future.

| Tue 16 Oct 2018 23:13:28 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Stephenesque - 11 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson

Yes the positive reviews of it are very reassuring.
    I currently have 583 recordings on my 4000T to watch, not to mention a number of large, as yet unopened dvd box sets to find time for, so a Blu-ray player won’t be on my radar In the foreseeable future.

The upscaling on on even low end Blu-ray players makes DVD's look a lot sharper and more vibrant. My £80.00 LG has much better DVD pictures than a A Denon top end DVD player from a year or so ago. So much so that on good ones it's hard to tell from a blu-ray disk picture quality wise.

Try one mail order from say John Lewis when you get your system, if you aren't impressed you can return it under the distance selling regs.

| Wed 17 Oct 2018 10:20:42 #16 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.