My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Is transferring files from a PVR a dealbreaker

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

As title suggests, is the ability to transfer files from the Humax to be used elsewhere really that important? I have downloaded loads of programmes over the years thinking these are classics that I will definitely watch again. At the weekend I was looking at the programmes I have downloaded and which now reside on my NAS - almost 1TB. When I started to go through them I realised I had watched less than 3% in the last five years. What a waste of my time. I think I could apply the same rule of thumb to my collection of DVDs as well. I'm now considering having a complete clear out of both.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 11:10:35 #1 |
  2. mhargreaves

Mark Hargreaves

special member

I guess my problem is not really for archiving purposes - it's just that there is stuff on my 5000T that I haven't watched yet that will have to be lost if I upgrade to an Aura. Most of the stuff I have recorded is in HD - I don't necessarily need it to be, I would just like to watch stuff I've recorded before I buy a new device. Although I guess most of it is available on catchup or streaming services.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 13:09:02 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

mhargreaves - 2 hours ago  » 
    I guess my problem is not really for archiving purposes - it's just that there is stuff on my 5000T that I haven't watched yet that will have to be lost if I upgrade to an Aura. Most of the stuff I have recorded is in HD - I don't necessarily need it to be, I would just like to watch stuff I've recorded before I buy a new device. Although I guess most of it is available on catchup or streaming services.

Which is fair enough. However, in my case I have stuff that's old it's got whiskers and whilst it may have been good in its day I'm sure I will never watch most of it again.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 15:18:48 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I find it handy in the days when we could fly long distance to exotic locations to be able to carry your own content and invaluable in an extended stay in hospital about 3 yrs ago.

In the situation we are now in being able to watch live TV on a mobile device is handy.

I watch the news every morning as I shave and shower in our en-suite shower room.

So as you say it's really only useful for content that perhaps features family members.

These days a Netflix subscription allows viewing most anywhere,

My wifes sister lives in Perth Western Australia. We both watched Bridgerton at the same time as she did.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 19:20:56 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 15 hours ago  » 
    I find it handy in the days when we could fly long distance to exotic locations to be able to carry your own content and invaluable in an extended stay in hospital about 3 yrs ago.
    In the situation we are now in being able to watch live TV on a mobile device is handy.
    I watch the news every morning as I shave and shower in our en-suite shower room.
    So as you say it's really only useful for content that perhaps features family members.
    These days a Netflix subscription allows viewing most anywhere,
    My wifes sister lives in Perth Western Australia. We both watched Bridgerton at the same time as she did.

Which really tends to back up what I was saying. Streaming content is making archiving a thing of the past. I thought when I archived material from years ago I would watch the programmes again and again. I haven't, and those I have watched I said to myself wow, how corny was that, why on earth did I bother transferring that to my NAS.

| Wed 10 Feb 2021 10:25:41 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.