My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Issues with 5000t

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phil@2306

I bought this a few weeks ago, but am having issues and wondered if others have had the same. When watching certain channels, itv+3, itvbe, plus a few others but not main channels such as bbc1,the picture freezes for a few seconds, then continues. I thought this may be the aerial but it does not do this with other tvs in the house, is this Humax box really so crap!

| Sun 11 Nov 2018 0:32:24 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

This is commonly a symptom of having too high a signal level the TV's that don't have the issue may be simply further from the aerial or just have less sensitive tuners. If you have an amplifier in the system try diconnecting it or fit a variable attenuator reduce the signal level until the quality starts to drop. Increase the strength a bit to give you a margin.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/SAC-Variable-Attenuator-IEC-AE5199-Attenuators/27011029707?iid=232815630690&chn=ps

| Sun 11 Nov 2018 13:09:03 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phil@2306

Thanks for that, I have ordered one, so see how it goes,

| Sun 11 Nov 2018 16:13:00 #3 |
  4. davidrew

davidrew

special member

We had exactly the same issue and the variable attenuator fixed it. Ours is installed between the wall outlet and the back of the Humax which allowed us to adjust it live on the signal strength screen. Our BBC1HD signal originally showed at 100% and we throttled it back to 75%.

Depending on how technical you want to get before we started we did identify a test channel off each MUX frequency and noted down its signal strength to give a best an worse. We also noticed that our 5000T tuner 3 does not pick up as much signal strength as tuners 1 and 2 so in the end we set a recording going for the best signal on tuner 1, a middling channel on tuner 2, and the worst on tuner 3 and then adjusted the attenuator off the signal strength screen ensuring we didn't lose tuner 3. BBC1HD on tuner 1 at 75% was the sweet spot for us.

You can find the MUX numbers on Digital UK with your post code, house number and use detailed view.

It would have seemed more sensible if the Humax tuners are so sensitive to overloading on high strength signals to have incorporated automatic attenuation in to the device then it should have just worked for everyone out of the box. Maybe now Humax have lost the Generation 3 Freesat contract they can concentrate their efforts on an improved Freeview offering...

| Mon 12 Nov 2018 1:21:26 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.