My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

issues with my 9300t needing resetting frequently

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

andrewmelville

I have manually tuned my 9300t to emley Moor and everything appeared ok. However after a while the ITV groupstarted to break up on transmission and recording. Also if I go to the menu that says record,etc,installation , system I notice the installation option is not available. If I power the box off for a few minutes and then switch back on everythings OK with the program showing 100% signal. This lasts for a few days then it happens again.Maybe with te BBC group. Powering off sorts it but it means I cant trst any recordings whilst away as the pictures might be broken up( as though a bad signal)
    As stated above, repowering seems to fix it
    Any ideas
    Also aouomtic updates...its set for them but I dont seem to have had any...should I???

| Sun 15 Jul 2012 22:40:48 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

andrewmelville - 1 hour ago  » 
    If I power the box off for a few minutes and then switch back on everythings OK with the program showing 100% signal.

Is that 100% signal strength or 100% signal quality?

Also aouomtic updates...its set for them but I dont seem to have had any...should I???

What software version is your box using? To receive them automatically the box needs to be in standby overnight.

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 0:00:20 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

andrewmelville

signal strength and quality both 100% but when I'm haing r]troubles before power off etc the quality is annywhere between 40and 80%
    Re the s/w version. It says: software version UP77F 1.00.23
    loader version 94.38
    Update at May24 2010
    Now I realise that what we do is switch off thetv with the remote at night but leave the recorder on. Presumably by saying'in standby' you mean pressing the power off button on the remote?
    When / how can I get S/W updates if I'm miles out of date?
    Could this solve my problem?

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 9:49:44 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

andrewmelville - 2 minutes ago  » 
    signal strength and quality both 100% but when I'm haing r]troubles before power off etc the quality is annywhere between 40and 80%

I would guess your problem is the 100% signal strength; this may well be too high and is overloading the tuner. If you have an aerial amplifier then try removing it or fit an attenuator.

Presumably by saying'in standby' you mean pressing the power off button on the remote?

It isn't a power off button; the manual refers to it as the "Standby" button. It changes the box from the active state to the lower power consumption standby state.

When / how can I get S/W updates if I'm miles out of date?
    Could this solve my problem?

Version 1.00.26 is the latest; you either leave the box in standby overnight until the next transmission of the update (I don't know when the next one will be,could be several weeks) or you download the update from the Humax support web site to a PC and then connect the Humax to the PC via a serial cable and upload the update. However I don't think that will help with your specific problem.

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 10:03:50 #4 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

100% signal strength is very high, are you very close to the transmitter or have you got Antenna Power (in menu) switched ON?

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 10:27:37 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

andrewmelville

On checking, all channels were 100% signal and 100% quality
    I then checked Antenna power and it was ON. I have now change it to OFF and checkd a few channels...the signal strength appear to now be about 80% with the qulity still 100%.
    Could this now be OK?? I guess the next day or two will tell. If so Thanks a lot to you guys out there who understand these things! ( Biggles and Martin).Wonderful if it works!
    my wife was going to consign it to the bin and make me buy a new one!

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 16:38:10 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

andrewmelville - 1 minute ago  » 
    the signal strength appear to now be about 80% with the qulity still 100%.

The quality is the important factor. Any signal strength above about 40% ought to be OK. It would be very helpful if you could report back in a few weeks if this does indeed fix the problem.

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 16:41:14 #7 |
  8. Biggles

Biggles

special member

andrewmelville - 16 minutes ago  » 
    On checking, all channels were 100% signal and 100% quality
    I then checked Antenna power and it was ON. I have now change it to OFF and checkd a few channels...the signal strength appear to now be about 80% with the qulity still 100%.

Antenna Power when ON only puts a 5 volt supply onto the aerial lead which can then be used to power an active set top aerial or similar. If you are not using such an aerial then Antenna power should be OFF, OFF is it's default setting.

Some people mistakenly think that Antenna Power is some sort of magic power boost, it isn't. In reality switching it ON when not needed seems to cause very high (100%) false signal strength readings.

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 17:03:41 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

andrewmelville

I have also had the occasional message saying the aerial cable is short circuit( even though it clearly isnt.I do have an amplifier in the loft to power about 6 sockets. I have left this switched on

| Mon 16 Jul 2012 19:29:32 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

andrewmelville

hi you wizz kids
    Well after a few days of it working perfectly,the problem has returned with ITV3 and 4 breaking up badly today.The signal strength was pretty constant around 80% but the quality varied between 40 and 100%. On switching to watch the TV direct(not using the Humax) the picture was perfect so it seems to be the Humax!
    On looking at the 'menu' I noticed the 'installation' option was not available.I then powered down the Humax and then a little later powered it back up...the installation option then became available(along with all the others) and the pictures and quality were perfect. However this will probably only last a day or two then poor pictures again. Totally unreliable for recordings when going on holiday...HELP PLEASE BEFORE WIFE MAKES ME BIN IT!

| Sun 22 Jul 2012 22:39:38 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.