My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

ITV, CH4, CH5 SD problems.

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JWPepper

Hi all,

Have an HDR1800T that's started having issues ever since the early March '17 retune. All BBC channels, the HD channels (including ITV) are fine, but standard definition ITV, CH4 and CH5 are breaking up/glitching all over the shop with very weak signal/quality. The units been factory defaulted, software as up to date as available (1.04 - Aug'15), signal strength is a consistent 92 to 93% with quality at 100%. The unit has worked flawlessly for over 2 years until this retune, but the channels in question are now unwatchable. Area is the Scottish Borders with aerial directed at the Lindean transmitter. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the problem? Thanks in advance.

| Mon 17 Apr 2017 22:52:09 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

Do you have any channels listed in the 800 range?

Are you sure you are only receiving signals from one transmitter?

See how to check and manual retune if necessary:

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/week-old-9300t-and-epg-wont-fill-up-for-week#post-7097

| Mon 17 Apr 2017 22:57:41 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Barry - 1 hour ago  » 
    Welcome to our Forum
    Do you have any channels listed in the 800 range?
    Are you sure you are only receiving signals from one transmitter?
    See how to check and manual retune if necessary:
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/week-old-9300t-and-epg-wont-fill-up-for-week#post-7097

Barry a better link for an HDR1800T tuning is https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/transmitters#post-2336 which covers the DVB-T/DVB-T2 issue.

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 0:37:13 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Thanks Martin.....brain not in gear

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 0:46:24 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JWPepper

Thanks for the quick reply folks, i'll give that a try as soon as I can and report back.

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 2:07:11 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JWPepper

Hi again folks. After a bit more investigation, there were no channels in the 800 range. Going a bit further into the signal strengths on the system page, I found that out of the 7 listed channels, 6 were getting 90%+, but channel 41 was only around 46%. Apart from the main transmitter (Lindean) that the aerial is pointed at, there is a relay transmitter (Langlee) about the same distance away further East which I suspect may be causing an issue. As a quick fix to try out, I took the box to a friends a few streets away and tuned to their aerial. With all the channels appearing to work fine at theirs, I reinstalled the box at mine and lo and behold, all the channels were back and glitch free. I checked the signal detection page again and interestingly there was now only 6 channels listed as 41 was gone. Great that everythings back to rights, but still would like to know what the cause might have been as I don't want this rigmarole everytime a retune is needed. Many thanks for taking the time to help.

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 22:43:50 #6 |
  7. Biggles

Biggles

special member

JWPepper - 52 minutes ago  » 
    Great that everythings back to rights, but still would like to know what the cause might have been as I don't want this rigmarole everytime a retune is needed. Many thanks for taking the time to help.

Just do the Manual Tune as suggested above on the transmitter your aerial is pointing at, won't take you more than a few minutes.

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 23:41:35 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JWPepper - 2 hours ago  » 
    Going a bit further into the signal strengths on the system page, I found that out of the 7 listed channels, 6 were getting 90%+,

As I seem to say fairly regularly here a signal strength of 90% may be too high; if you have further problems installing a variable attenuator in the aerial feed (or reducing the gain if there is an amplifier in your aerial cabling) may well help.

| Wed 19 Apr 2017 1:00:26 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JWPepper

I'll do the manual tune as suggested and as I already have an attenuator somewhere, i'll dig it out and experiment with that. Thanks again for the information.

| Wed 19 Apr 2017 1:04:19 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JWPepper - 8 hours ago  » 
    I'll do the manual tune as suggested and as I already have an attenuator somewhere, i'll dig it out and experiment with that. Thanks again for the information.

You may have auto tuned your box during high pressure uplift conditions. This could well mean you were recieving transmitters normally out of range. The attenuator could well mean that this doesn't happen again.

| Wed 19 Apr 2017 9:28:20 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.