My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 in Oxford area

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Richard MQ

We get our signal from the Oxford (Beckley) transmitter which is in mid switch-over. Since stage 1 last week, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 (plus a few others) have become un-watchable. Is anyone else seeing this? I am hoping that when stage 2 is enacted later this week it will improve...

Cheers
    Richard (MQ)

| Mon 26 Sep 2011 17:15:50 #1 |
  2. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Presumably you did an Automatic Search for the new channels after DSO stage 1. You'll probably find good versions of the faulty channels in the 800 range of channel numbers, 800, 801, 802, etc. If you have got them there then you'll need to do a Manual Search to eliminate the weaker channels, see my instructions in this thread. The instructions relate to the SD machines but you'll probably get the idea of what to do if your Hummy is an HD machine.

| Mon 26 Sep 2011 17:23:24 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Richard MQ

Thanks Biggles, I hadn't associated the symptoms that I have with the problems in that thread, but I did have some channels in the 800s though not the same as the problem ones.

I have now re-tuned exactly as you describe and though I no longer have channels in the 800s the signal is still very poor for ITV, Ch.4, Ch.5 etc. I have also noticed that these are all currently on channel 68, but as of step 2 later this week they will change to 60 and maybe will be better.

I should have said this is with a 9300 and the recent software update.

Is there anyone else reading this and using the Oxford transmitter?

| Mon 26 Sep 2011 19:19:57 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

spinaltap

You're not alone. My daughter moved to Headington last week, and she can only receive one mux - and is therefore limited to watching BBC 1, 2, 3, 4 until full DSO this week (hopefully).

| Mon 26 Sep 2011 19:45:57 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Richard MQ - 27 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Biggles, I hadn't associated the symptoms that I have with the problems in that thread, but I did have some channels in the 800s though not the same as the problem ones.
    I have now re-tuned exactly as you describe and though I no longer have channels in the 800s the signal is still very poor for ITV, Ch.4, Ch.5 etc. I have also noticed that these are all currently on channel 68, but as of step 2 later this week they will change to 60 and maybe will be better.
    I should have said this is with a 9300 and the recent software update.
    Is there anyone else reading this and using the Oxford transmitter?

You don't by any chance have a sky box in the aerial loop do you ?

| Mon 26 Sep 2011 19:47:57 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Richard MQ

No Sky box (Murdoch-free zone) but I do have an aerial amplifier, with inputs from an FM / DAB radio aerial and the TV one.

The newish Toshiba TV in the bedroom gets its signal from the same box and (after re-tuning) a decent picture for the channels that the hummy fails on.

PS - I see on the "UK Free TV" site that others around Oxford are having trouble recently with this same multiplex, presumably using other equipment.

| Mon 26 Sep 2011 20:25:11 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Richard MQ - 10 minutes ago  » 
    No Sky box (Murdoch-free zone) but I do have an aerial amplifier, with inputs from an FM / DAB radio aerial and the TV one.
    The newish Toshiba TV in the bedroom gets its signal from the same box and (after re-tuning) a decent picture for the channels that the hummy fails on.
    PS - I see on the "UK Free TV" site that others around Oxford are having trouble recently with this same multiplex, presumably using other equipment.

Just checking, a sky box modulator outputs on uhf 68 by default :-). You may be simply overloading the tuner front end on the Hummy box. Try an attenuator. Or as a check remove the amp from the circuit to give a direct feed to the Humax.

| Mon 26 Sep 2011 20:38:42 #7 |
  8. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Just to report that neither my Samsung TV nor my Topfield 5800 PVRs have any problem during this interim tuning period. I am in Buckingham and and auto-tune will pick up MUXes from Sandy Heath from the back of my aerial so I always manually tune the requisite six MUXes only.

| Mon 26 Sep 2011 23:57:50 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Richard MQ

Hmm, and (as I mentioned previously) our newish Toshiba TV in the bedroom seems fine too.

I think I will wait for changeover phase 2 later this week, then if I still have a problem try Graham's advice above.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    Richard

| Tue 27 Sep 2011 19:01:09 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Richard MQ

We seem to have passed through stage 2 now, the auto re-tune took BBC1 et al from the Hannington transmitter, which was not very good, though ITV on C60 from Beckley is perfect.

So I did a partial re-tune along the lines of Biggles' thread (just deleted both instances of the weak ones - BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 & a few more - and manually re-tuned C53). Now it seems very good.

For the benefit of others following maybe in different areas: possibly between stages 1 and 2 you will find one or more groups are temporarily below par. But "bear with", re-tune (manually if necessary) and at stage 2 it will improve.

Thanks all for your help
    Richard (MQ)

| Wed 28 Sep 2011 19:06:58 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.