My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

I've broken it with FTPing some mp4's

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

MikeGibbs - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Many thanks, Andy, for the suggestion but why would I want to risk 400+ GB of recordings or my wife's sanity by changing to any of these later versions?

The risk in upgrading to 1.02.32 is tiny but I agree the advantages are not enormous. Our box has run 1.02.32 since it was available without problem.

| Fri 22 Nov 2013 20:19:35 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

MikeGibbs - 56 minutes ago  » 

3. 1.03.06 looks scary as it handles new tuner hardware so how would it cope with the old tuner hardware?
  4. It handles it very well and the iPlayer interface is so much better than previous versions.

| Fri 22 Nov 2013 21:10:39 #12 |
  5. athomson

athomson

special member

I have had my T2 since almost day one and upgrading has never been an issue, I even went for 1.03.06 after I saw it was stable for a few days on the old hardware. I am glad I did as iPlayer and YouTube are so much better it solved a few issues with these. I even went for the custom firmware along the way and have never had an issue installing that from a USB, you just need to watch you have the right version as it patches the firmware not replaces it. At least it did in the early days. With the custom firmware you can set up things like background decrypt etc. to make you like easier.

Andy

| Sat 23 Nov 2013 8:34:49 #13 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

athomson - 2 hours ago  » 
    I am glad I did as iPlayer and YouTube are so much better it solved a few issues with these.

In what way is YouTube better? I haven't spotted any difference.

| Sat 23 Nov 2013 10:47:59 #14 |
  7. MikeGibbs

MikeGibbs

Ok, ok!

BUT I've read of some people who've had to send their box off to Humax to be re-flashed! ...all for a bit better YouTube; only not in their case.

| Sat 23 Nov 2013 11:05:52 #15 |
  8. MikeGibbs

MikeGibbs

...and iPlayer is fine on 1.02.20. YouTube isn't, I agree, but do the improvements mean that it'll play .flv's now?

BTW; I think we're getting off topic.

| Sat 23 Nov 2013 11:07:36 #16 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

MikeGibbs - 22 minutes ago  » 
    BUT I've read of some people who've had to send their box off to Humax to be re-flashed! ...all for a bit better YouTube; only not in their case.

The only cases I can recollect are people who attempted to downgrade from 1.03.06 before it was known that the tuner hardware had changed. If you don't wish to upgrade that is fine but please don't try and create a myth that there is a risk involved.

| Sat 23 Nov 2013 11:31:36 #17 |
  10. MikeGibbs

MikeGibbs

Martin Liddle - 7 hours ago  » If you don't wish to upgrade that is fine but please don't try and create a myth that there is a risk involved.

Yes... it does look that way, I'm sorry I didn't mean to start creating myths.

I'm an oldie who's worked with computers since I was at uni in the 1960's (yes we did have computers that long ago). I'm sure that you've heard the old adage

If it isn't broken don't try to fix it
    I can't tell you how many times over the years I've fallen foul of this very wise saying. So, for me 1.02.20 records, plays, skips over the acursed adverts, allows us to stream stuff from iPlayer if we forget to set a recording up and, even, watch some music videos on YouTube if we get sufficiently pissed; so why would we even consider upgrading?

Sorry, again, about the negativness of my posts; if people need things which upgrades provide then go for it; if you don't my advice is leave it alone.

Mike.

| Sat 23 Nov 2013 19:29:51 #18 |
  11. MikeGibbs

MikeGibbs

As I mentioned in #16 this thread is getting off topic.

What I'd really like to understand is why the code which implements entering standby mode could be confused by any of the above suggestions; to recap:

• space issue (#3)
    • bad file name (#7)
    • Firmware needs upgrading (#9)

To my mind the standby code would only need to close any open files, come out of any menus and then go to sleep until a timer goes off to start a recording or the user wakes it up.

Does anyone know why it would be checking space, bad sectors, file name protocols, ...; it makes no sense to me.

Mike.

| Sun 24 Nov 2013 11:17:54 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.