My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Large hard drive in Foxsat HDR

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Hello everyone.

I thought I had seen (some time ago) a post about using hard drives larger than 1tb in a Foxsat HDR. It suggested the machine would format a larger drive resulting in a 1tb partition for video and the rest for photo/music files.

Does anyone have any experience with 1.5tb drives in the machine? I tried one and it started to partition it but I gave up waiting after 15 minutes. The drive was a blank one with a single large partition and no formatting, tested error free. A 1tb drive installed immediately after formatted without problems.

| Fri 26 Jun 2020 16:35:37 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The Foxsat can only self setup a new drive up to 1TB. It can use larger drives but the user has to partition and format the new drive externally using a Linux booted computer.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/humax-foxsat-hdr-%C2%96-upgrade-hdd-to-2tb.1336395/

You may be able to use software to like macrium reflect to create a image of the 1TB drive on a windows machine. and image this to the newer larger drive. And then use macrium reflect to increase the video partition to the the available space on the new drive.

Be aware if you use the extra space for lots of small recordings, the box speed reflects the large number of recording files that are generated. Note the original full drive can be slotted into a usb drive cradle and the older recordings will play back from there. You can use the new drive to record from and the old one as a archive disk for the older recordings.

| Fri 26 Jun 2020 17:45:56 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Sounds like too much trouble for me. The 1.5tb drive is going into my FVP-5000T and its 1tb drive will go into the Foxsat HDR after copying over the recordings (thankfully not too many at the moment).

Thanks for the reply.

| Fri 26 Jun 2020 19:16:25 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

batteryman - 3 mins ago  » 
    Sounds like too much trouble for me. The 1.5tb drive is going into my FVP-5000T and its 1tb drive will go into the Foxsat HDR after copying over the recordings (thankfully not too many at the moment).
    Thanks for the reply.

How are going to copy the recordings ? Usb will take a very long time.

| Fri 26 Jun 2020 19:25:24 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Either usb overnight or FTP system using Filezilla. As I said, not too many to do - the disk is less than 20% full at the moment.

| Fri 26 Jun 2020 20:45:58 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

batteryman - 27 mins ago  » 
    Either usb overnight or FTP system using Filezilla. As I said, not too many to do - the disk is less than 20% full at the moment.

Why not install the custom firmware ? You can do all this with a networked Foxsat-HDR. Directly to a PC.

| Fri 26 Jun 2020 21:20:30 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

I'm not transferring files to or from a Foxsat HDR, they're coming off an FVP-5000T to go back on it with a different hard drive. I don't need the custom firmware on the Foxsat HDR, I won't be keeping it for long.

| Fri 26 Jun 2020 22:37:26 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.