LG TVs and Freesat

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Freesat, LG technology partnership

By Colin Mann

September 21, 2015

UK subscription-free satellite TV service Freesat, and global consumer electronics manufacturer LG Electronics (LG) have struck a strategic partnership to provide the Freesat service on LG’s new and existing satellite enabled Smart TVs.

LG will launch Freesat channels on the new LF650 and LF630 TVs, in screen sizes ranging from 32” to 55” and fully compatible with LG’s market-leading Magic Motion Remote Control. The new range of Freesat-enabled LG TVs will be available from leading high street retailers.

In a first for Freesat, LG will also support the service across its existing TVs. Owners of satellite-compatible TVs will gain access to over 200 subscription-free TV and radio channels, with many in high definition, via a software roll-out to customers.

(from Advanced Television)

But what channels were these existing sat-tuner TVs receiving previously? There are reasons why this is a first for Freesat: TVs generally are kitted out with the relevant EPG before they come to market.

And no mention of Freetime. Seems they're just buying that stylish Freesat EPG. Why?

| Mon 21 Sep 2015 20:33:06 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

Freesat, LG technology partnership
    By Colin Mann
    September 21, 2015
    UK subscription-free satellite TV service Freesat, and global consumer electronics manufacturer LG Electronics (LG) have struck a strategic partnership to provide the Freesat service on LG’s new and existing satellite enabled Smart TVs.
    LG will launch Freesat channels on the new LF650 and LF630 TVs, in screen sizes ranging from 32” to 55” and fully compatible with LG’s market-leading Magic Motion Remote Control. The new range of Freesat-enabled LG TVs will be available from leading high street retailers.
    In a first for Freesat, LG will also support the service across its existing TVs. Owners of satellite-compatible TVs will gain access to over 200 subscription-free TV and radio channels, with many in high definition, via a software roll-out to customers.
    (from Advanced Television)
    But what channels were these existing sat-tuner TVs receiving previously? There are reasons why this is a first for Freesat: TVs generally are kitted out with the relevant EPG before they come to market.
    And no mention of Freetime. Seems they're just buying that stylish Freesat EPG. Why?

A tad confused. Other than the freesat epg (G1 or G2), or some sort of IP delivered epg, what epg could these TV's have. Without either of the freesat epgs, other than now and next they would not have an epg.

If they had generic fta tuners, they would have got all the fta channels available.

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

No epg (other than now/next), no series/accurate recording or consistant logical channel numbers. All these are provided by the freesat epg.

G2 (freetime capability), adds the major catch up services.

Perhaps you could explain what your post means.

| Mon 21 Sep 2015 22:28:14 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I just don't understand why any manufacturer would market a TV with no EPG. Or why anyone would buy it. Maybe I'm missing something.

| Mon 21 Sep 2015 22:57:14 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JamesB - 10 hours ago  » 
    I just don't understand why any manufacturer would market a TV with no EPG. Or why anyone would buy it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Quite a few TV's come with Freeview plus a generic fta DVB-S2 satellite tuner or tuners. There's no epg other than the now/next data transmitted alongside the video and audio. I imagine TV's like this could be software updated to retro provide the freesat epg.

| Tue 22 Sep 2015 9:48:11 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 30 minutes ago  » 
    ...There's no epg other than the now/next data transmitted alongside the video and audio...

Yep, my son has a Samsung like that. There's also sat STBs that only have Now/Next.

| Tue 22 Sep 2015 10:21:11 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Seems strange to me, but thinking about it I suppose these models get sold in different countries with varying EPGs according to locale.

| Tue 22 Sep 2015 11:40:46 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.