My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » The Lounge

Life Expectancy of a Freeview Recorder

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

I was just wondered if anyone knew what the life expectancy of a freeview recorder box was on average?
    My last one (which was the first one I'd had that recorded and wasn't just a normal freeview box) a Humax 9300t lasted 7 years. What's everyone else experiences of them?

| Mon 19 Nov 2018 10:50:58 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I would guess the life exptectancy to be similar on Freesat and Freeview boxes with first failures to depewnd on usage of the one component that has moving parts the hard disk drive. Easy to fix on Humax boxes.

My Foxsat-HDR is using the original 1 TB drive fitted in 2012 but in recent years not so heavily used. My HDR-1000S used approx 14 hrs every day needed a replacement drive after about 3 yrs use.

| Mon 19 Nov 2018 11:13:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Christina2018 - 55 minutes ago  » 
    I was just wondered if anyone knew what the life expectancy of a freeview recorder box was on average?
    My last one (which was the first one I'd had that recorded and wasn't just a normal freeview box) a Humax 9300t lasted 7 years.

The 9300T has more known problems which render it unusable than most Humax boxes (although there are worse). The earlier 9200T has a much better reliability record but suffers from changes by the broadcasters (far more channels broadcast now than when it was introduced) so that the software struggles due to inadequate hardware resources. The later HDR-FOX T2 also has a good reliability record and many are still in service after nine years but a number of different hardware issues are emerging.

To try and answer the question, I would say the average life of the electronics in a Humax PVR is around ten years but a percentage will fail sooner than that. I agree with Graham that it is not uncommon to need to change the hard drive sooner than ten years.

Do keep in mind the possibility that changes by broadcasters might make a box obsolescent before the electronics fail.

| Mon 19 Nov 2018 12:02:39 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Well I got our HDR 1000s in I think 2012, is used every day and (touch wood) it's still going strong, with original everything.

| Mon 19 Nov 2018 16:54:13 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Mine arrived on Thu 13 Sep 2012, hard dish changed shortly after for larger 2tb one.

Only problem was loss of time slip buffer, disk reformat fixed it.

| Mon 19 Nov 2018 17:21:26 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.