My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Lifespan

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tarn

Hello

I've had my Humax Foxat HDR fo roughly 11 years. Do they have a lifespan?

I'm having an unusual problem where it suddenly loses signal.

Usually when I change channel or go to the menu.

I redo the coax, and it works again maybe after two attempts. Works for 2 days or so, then stop working.

On the menu it says it has good strength, but it's not receiving.

The coax connectors I have aren't very good. They are bit loose over the cable so I need to use tape. But even so, the box doesn't move so I don't know why suddenly it lose contact.

I have seen on online videos you can get coax connectors that are in 3 pieces and one of them you pinch over the cable. But I can't find those, I don't know if they are American only.

I get a feeling it could be the box as it's so old?

| Tue 13 Sep 2022 7:25:38 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tarn

I have an update.

I redid the coax again this morning. And it's working for now.

But the box did record something last night, even though we couldn't view the channels.

I just did a factory reset, and it now says, under diagnostics, that the tuner 2 has no signal. So I cannot record and watch now.

This now makes me think it's not the box, or the dish. I might need to try and find better coax connectors?

Although if it recorded last night, while it was saying no signal, I guess the coax was ok and it's the box?

I dont know whether to just buy a new box.

| Tue 13 Sep 2022 9:30:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

TW8

Hi Tarn,

If it were me I would turn off the Foxsat at the mains, then swop the two coax cables about. When done switch the Foxsat back on. If the tuner that previously had no signal now has signal and the one that did before no longer has, then you've got your answer. From what you say I would be looking at changing the F plugs. Certainly cheaper than spashing out on a new box only to find its the cable.

*Always turn the box off at the mains before touching the coax. LNB polarisation is switched by voltage sent from the receiver. Though it's highly likely short circuit protection is built into the foxsat, I wouldn't put it to the test.

| Tue 4 Oct 2022 15:45:06 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.