My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Lightning strike, is Power Supply/Hard recoverable

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

RayArdia

We had bad electric storms here in NW Spain last night and our Foxsat HDR became a casualty. Window on front of box shows multicolour gobbledegook and the box is unresponsive both to the remote and the box-face controls.
    Two questions:-
    1. Can I repair ( or have repaired) the Power Supply, as I assume that it would be 'first to fall'? Alternatively can I fit a replacement?
    2. If the box is irreparable can I recover what is on the Hard Drive?

Grateful for some wise comments.

| Fri 3 Nov 2017 20:31:49 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Did you have the custom firmware loaded. If not only SD content can be recovered. A lot depends on how the surge got into the box, if via the lnb coax cables it's likely the tuners are fried.

Welcome to our forum.

| Fri 3 Nov 2017 20:41:01 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

RayArdia

re " if via the lnb coax cables it's likely the tuners are fried. " How would I know?
    I haven't a clue about the custom firmware.

| Fri 3 Nov 2017 22:14:55 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RayArdia - 12 hours ago  » 
    re " if via the lnb coax cables it's likely the tuners are fried. " How would I know?
    I haven't a clue about the custom firmware.

Hard to really tell. As you still have some power only a check of the power supply voltages will tell. You could try booting the box with the lnb cables disconnected, if you get a no signal message then it's likely the lnb has had it.

With regard to your recordings.

SD ones are recorded without encryption so removing the HDD and dropping it into a usb drive cradle you can access the disk and copy the SD recording .ts files from the the Video partition (SDA3).

HD recordings are encrypted with a key unique to your Foxsat. They can only be played back by the box that recorded them.

You will need a PC booted into linux to read the EXT3 file system(you can download linux and install it on usb stick and boot from it) . You may have to change the bios settings to boot from USB.

Alternatively you could try a Windows Linux File System Driver like EXT2FS.

| Sat 4 Nov 2017 10:40:19 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.