My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Linking two Sat Receivers

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardT

I am trying to link a second Sat Receiver from my Humax Foxsat-HDR using LNB 1 Out port, but the second receiver indicates that there's "No Signal". Does the port need to be enabled and if so, how?

| Fri 29 Nov 2013 20:18:15 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to the forum.

First thing you need to do is that satellite is not like terrestrial TV where you can freely split the aerial signal (subject to signal strength).

A satellite box and it's signal source (technically a LNB), is a two way interface between the lnb and the tuner it is connected to. The tuner in the satellite receiver sends control signals to the lnb using two signals. One a DC 12/18V power source used to both power the lnb and also switch the lnb to work with either horizontal or vertical polarisation signals. The second switches the lnb to work with either high band or low band frequencies (a 22Khz switching tone is used).

You can use the lnb1 out if you understand the above limitations, the socket is basically provided to allow the box to provide as many recording possibilities as possible if you have only a single cable to your dish.

In your case you will have two cables back to the lnb on your dish, in all probability the lnb you have will have two spare outputs. To use a 2nd Foxsat-hdr you need to connect the two spare outputs with two new cables to the 2nd Foxsat-hdr.

You could use two Foxsat-hdrs with only two cables, but each will have some restrictions on dual recording and 3rd channel viewing.

Here's how

You need two short coax cables with a f connector on each end.

1 disconnect the lnb2 in on your first hdr and connect it to lnb1 in your 2nd box.

2 connect lnb1 out to lnb2 in both boxes.

3 Factory reset your first box (recognises single cable mode)

4 Setup the 2nd box

See here for more info on using a Foxsat-hdr in single cable mode

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

| Fri 29 Nov 2013 21:28:42 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardT

Hi Graham
    Thanks for the quick response. In my case its a very old sat dish with a single LNB, so there's only one cable feed. I have acquired a Sky Sat Receiver, so I thought I would try and set it up as another record option. Am I right in saying, from your description, my only option is to install a twin LNB dish and use one for the Humax receiver and the other for the Sky receiver?

| Sun 1 Dec 2013 14:02:14 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Assuming the dish is a sky minidish you will have to buy a quad or octo lnb (4 or 8 outputs). They do not make twin lnbs with a feedhorn shape suitable for the oval shape of sky minidishes.

You can buy a new Sky minidish with a quad lnb for about £20.00 or so on ebay.

You should be using your lnb1 out to connect the second tuner in your Foxsat-hdr as described above.

see

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

You cannot record using a sky box unless you have some sort of subscription and a smart card so there is nothing you can gain from connecting it.

Adding the tuner loop cable will give you dual recording and 3rd channel viewing as explained at the above link.

| Sun 1 Dec 2013 14:17:55 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardT

Thanks again Graham
    I'll give it a go.

| Sun 1 Dec 2013 17:53:22 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.