My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

load a usb

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

richard

i have a humax pvr and would like to load recorded material on to a usb from the humax. Can anyone tell me in simple language if it is possible and how.
    Thanks in advance
    Richard

| Thu 1 Sep 2011 12:48:10 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Depends on which pvr you have.

Basically you can with the 9200 and the HDR-FOX T2 (freeview) and the Foxsat-hdr (satellite). The 8000 9150 and 9300 freeview pvrs don't have usb and the HD FOX T2 only outputs encrypted content to usb.

| Thu 1 Sep 2011 13:20:01 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

richard

Thank you for your reply. I have a foxsat-hdr (satellite). I have looked through the Menu and Media and can not see how to transfer information from the on board hard disk to a usb. If you have any ideas i would be grateful.

| Fri 2 Sep 2011 12:50:56 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Plug in the usb device. A message should appear on the screen stating usb device connected.

Press Media then OPT+ and choose File Manager.

In the right hand pane you should see the usb drive icon. Cursor right and click OK to open the drive to its root folder.

Now cursor left to a recording you want to copy. The green copy button should now be active. Max file size for FAT32 is 4GB. For larger you need a drive formatted EXT3 (see the faq)

| Fri 2 Sep 2011 13:21:31 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

richard

It works!Thankyou for all your help.Much appreciated.

| Tue 6 Sep 2011 19:18:13 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

machiavelli

I have a 500GB Freesat HDR, and I wish to purchase a standard 1TB external HDD with USB interface (and no power lead if possible) for storing some of my existing and future recordings directly from the Humax.

Am I correct in thinking that the Humax will be able to format this drive in EXT3 for me following USB connection? This thread mentions formatting a USB device, but the FAQ only seems to cover the PC route.

If I am correct, presumably I could also format any USB stick using the Humax?

Are there any other issues here which I have missed?

Many thanks.

| Sat 17 Sep 2011 17:29:10 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The Foxsat-hdr can only format it's internal drive not a usb connected one. There's a thread in FAQ about formatting drives with EXT3.. I now Aeseus Partition Manager (the free version) which can format EXT3 from within windows.

| Sat 17 Sep 2011 17:48:12 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You cannot format a USB device using the FOXSAT HDR.

| Sat 17 Sep 2011 17:48:46 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

machiavelli

Many thanks, the EASUS Partition Manager looks good.

Also, is a standard External SATA USB interface HDD likely to be fast enough for this purpose on replaying directly from the external drive, or will I need to copy the file back to the internal HDD before viewing (video)?

Presumably, I cannot record directly to the external HDD?

| Sat 17 Sep 2011 18:05:14 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I missed your other point "and no power lead if possible" I would advise using a powered device. The HDR has limited power available for a USB device (fine for a solid state USB stick). I chosse an enclosure with a switch.

| Sat 17 Sep 2011 19:19:53 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.