My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Looking for a new box to replace Fox - T2

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Hi, currently i have a fox t2 box which i have always loved, it not gives a green screen nearly every day when turning it on, i have to switch everything off for a while to usually get it to come back on which usually works eventually.

i have recently done a full wipe and reset but still does it.

So looks like time for a new box?

anyway i was looking at the newer 5000 model but all i see if largly negative things about all the newer boxes, mainly saying how annoyingly slow they are, has there been any fixes for this via fw?

would i prob be disappointed if i got the 5000 model do you think?

are there any other good makes out there to look at, i see panasonic do some and get similar reviews to humax?

thanks

James

| Fri 4 May 2018 6:56:28 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

I still have my HDR FOX-T2 and its head and shoulders faster than the 4000/5000. There have been no firmware updates to fix that and I don't think it’s possible to do so, it’s just woefully underpowered.

The only thing I like about my 4000 is the additional tuner, everything else I can do without. I have a NOW TV box which I use for catch up services and that is super slick, quick and only cost me £5.

Having said all the negative things, I will say its solid, stable and has never missed a recording. You do get used to the speed, you just have to be patient and get used to its quirks and the lack of usability - lack of 'i' button no shortcuts via coloured buttons etc.

You say you are getting green screen issues with your HDR, are you sure it’s not just handshaking issues between the box and the TV. This could possibly be cured by a different HDMI lead? I know I had a similar issue soon after I got it and I got another lead and it fixed it. I also tend to turn the box on first, then the TV a bit after.

I would say try one from Argos/John Lewis and if you can’t get on with the 5000 take it back for a full refund as people seem to have no issue getting refunds.

Good luck

| Fri 4 May 2018 8:18:06 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

james_uk - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi, currently i have a fox t2 box which i have always loved, it not gives a green screen nearly every day when turning it on, i have to switch everything off for a while to usually get it to come back on which usually works eventually.
    i have recently done a full wipe and reset but still does it.
    So looks like time for a new box?
    anyway i was looking at the newer 5000 model but all i see if largly negative things about all the newer boxes, mainly saying how annoyingly slow they are, has there been any fixes for this via fw?

I am still using an HDR-FOX T2 and keeping an eye on new developments. My impression is that the FVP-5000T is now pretty stable and there have been some improvements in the responsiveness of the user interface but there are still complaints about the speed from some people. Do remember that users who are content are less likely to come on Forums. I don't often need three tuners so I am in no hurry to change although as I get older I do use sub-titles more and the HDR-FOX T2 does suffer from issues with sub-titles getting out of synch which is apparently fixed on the newer models. I think your options are a second hand HDR-FOX T2 to tide you over for a few years until something clearly better emerges, evaluation of the FVP-5000T to see if you could live with it or possibly one of the later Youview boxes such as DTR-T2000.

| Fri 4 May 2018 9:25:32 #3 |
  4. barryiow

barryiow

I have the FVP 4000T
    The extra tuner is great.
    But my box froze three times last week, each time losing the recordings I had set.
    So far this week all has been ok, but to be honest I cannot rely on it
    I install all updates.
    I have given up contacting Humax.
    Barry

| Fri 4 May 2018 10:53:47 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyhurley

I replaced my Fox T2 with a 5000T and did not notice any issue with speed -most things are way faster although it can take a while to switch on from Stand-by. So far I've been pretty happy and have barely missed all the nice things the customised firmware used to do.

I've had it a month now and have not had to do any reboots, the worst thing is not being able to play recordings over the LAN other with the media server which is not always reliable depending on the client. Samba is pretty pointless as you can't play anything over it.

| Fri 4 May 2018 14:48:50 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.