My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Looking to move from Sky/Now TV to Humax FVP 5000T

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveTheRave

Hi I used to have a Humax PVR9300T when it first came out years ago. It was at the time quite a good box but it had its flaws. Eventually I moved to Sky+ but got sick of the price hikes and recently moved to Now TV. I don't like the guide (now and next - no further on times), miss the record function and not all stuff seems to be available on catch up. So anyway i'm thinking of going back to Humax and specifically the new FVP 5000T. A few things concern me though based on what I remember having issues with on the old PVR9300T. So...

1. My old PVR9300T used to take forever to load the EPG after a power on and sometimes only did so if it was tuned to BBC1 first. Does the newer FVP 5000T update the EPG quicker?

2. Recordings sometimes was hit and miss on the old Humax. Sometimes it wouldn't catch the actual programme start and miss a few minutes, sometimes the ending would be cut off. Does the newer Humax have better luck doing this?

3. My missus wants to go back to Sky+ because of the ease of recording and speed of the programme guide. I'm tempted to retry Humax again though. The outlay of a new Humax would probably pay for the years basic Sky subscription but there is no more to pay after that. I know it would be Freeview only so no Atlantic, Fox etc. How does the new Humax compare to ease of use when comparing against Sky?

Any advice is appreciated.

| Mon 27 Nov 2017 23:30:48 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

1. The 4000/5000T has to download the EPG when first switched on for the day, it is held in memory which is cleared during overnight housekeeping.

Whilst I have not timed it exactly, it takes around 5 minutes to populate whole EPG.

2. Accuracy of recording is dependant on broadcaster, the major channels trigger start and end of timers with what is called 'running status change' this is transmitted as programme starts/ends. Minor channels do not sue this so users are reliant on them 'sticking' to the broadcast schedules...you could of course use padding as on the 9300T.

3. Cannot answer that one as it is many years since I had Sky. Hopefully another member with recent experience of their service provide an answer.

| Tue 28 Nov 2017 1:46:28 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

Hello Dave.
    Like you our first Humax was the 9400T.
    We have the 5000t,You will find the interface has changed Big time.
    When you turn the box on for the first time for the day, guide is fairly Quick to load up.
    It's the play side of the epg that takes upto 5 minutes to populate, which is the scroll back over the last 7 including days that takes the time, but it includes all the available HD channels.
    We have recorded many programmes over the last 5 weeks including 4 at a time.
    Ours haven't missed any recording, or part of a recording.
    Infact were really Happy with ours.
    You will have to get used to the very different interface but once you mastered that, you will be fine.
    For example, when you record anything it will be in latest to oldest order so you will have to view from the bottom upwards on the List.
    If you think of it as you would look at the update history on a windows P C ,you will see what I mean.
    On the remote, the recordings button give you give you everything to do with recordings including the schedule.
    The Freeview Play button also covers all the settings on the machine.
    It comes with 3 different sizes of hard disc 500gb,1TB, and the 2TB which is only available at the moment o Humax Direct.
    Ours is the 2TB model which give 1,000 Hours of Standard, or 500 Hours of HD.
    Good Luck with your final decision.

| Tue 28 Nov 2017 12:21:40 #3 |
  4. HughieDad

HughieDad

We've dumped our PVR9300T for the new FVP-5000T 2TB and we are very happy with it, overall. It is a bit slow to boot up some functions, so the response to the remote is not always instant, and it has a few other quirks, which are detailed in other threads, but these are outweighed by the sheer capability of the machine. So far, it has recorded everything we have programmed (including four at once) with one exception: when the rugby was switched from BBC2 to BBC1 at the last minute, a new BBC1 reservation appeared but it was not acted on; it still recorded BBC2. So we looked back in the FVP programme guide, selected the match and watched it on the i-player instead. Unlike with the old model, playback is seamless on all channels. We're watching a lot in HD, but the picture quality is excellent, even on the catch-up services (we've connected to the router via ethernet cable and get about 5Mbps). And all this with no subscription! Go for it!

| Tue 28 Nov 2017 23:45:34 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveTheRave

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to buy a FVP-5000T and give it a go!

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 2:40:29 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.