My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Loss of sound when starting from eco mode

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bosley

Hi

I recently replaced my pvr box with a DTR T2000 linked to a Samsung HD tv. It has developed a fault when starting up from eco mode, no sound on any channels. If you power off then on the fault is fixed. This was a software fault on some BT badged Humax units. Any suggestions as to a permanent solution? Or return the unit as it is less than 1 month old.

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 12:52:06 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Have you tried switching the TV away from the DTR2000 source then back again instead?

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 13:03:44 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bosley

Hi

Not something I have tried yet, but will give it a go. Switching the power off then on again is not always possible when in the middle of recording. Incidentally, recorded programmes are unaffected.

Thanks for the suggestion.

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 14:06:41 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

gomezz - 2 hours ago  » 
    Have you tried switching the TV away from the DTR2000 source then back again instead?

An excellent suggestion, my guess is that the TV has selected the wrong flavour of PAL where the sound is at a different frequency.
    The OP could also try a standby cycle of the TV.

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 15:57:03 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 2 hours ago  » 

gomezz - 2 hours ago  » 

An excellent suggestion, my guess is that the TV has selected the wrong flavour of PAL where the sound is at a different frequency.

That would only affect the audio if using a rf input and a TV tuner to access it. Say from a modulator. Other than from a modulator there is no PAL sources available.

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 18:02:24 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

grahamlthompson - 57 minutes ago  » 

gomezz - 2 hours ago  » 

That would only affect the audio if using a rf input and a TV tuner to access it. Say from a modulator. Other than from a modulator there is no PAL sources available.

Understand that Graham - I was assuming that the TV logic was generalised over several sources. I have had problems in France with sound, but cannot remember exactly what it was - could just have been just Sky RF out.

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 19:04:36 #6 |
  7. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I made my suggestion on the basis that the problem was dodgy HDMI handshaking.

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 19:08:10 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 23 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 57 minutes ago  » 

gomezz - 2 hours ago  » 

Understand that Graham - I was assuming that the TV logic was generalised over several sources. I have had problems in France with sound, but cannot remember exactly what it was - could just have been just Sky RF out.

There's no audio carrier involved in a direct video/audio input (analogue or digital).

As you say PAL uses a different audio sound carrier according to the variant. It only creates a problem when a tuner has to decode a PAL rf input. Many years ago, I took a UK PAL camcorder to Australia (They use a different sound carrier to the UK). No issue at all when using camcorder CVBS and audio analogue outputs. The camera (A Sony), came with a RF modulator, it had a switch to change the audio carrier used, that also worked with a PAL tuner in a Aussie TV.

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 19:34:54 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 28 minutes ago  » 
    I made my suggestion on the basis that the problem was dodgy HDMI handshaking.

That seems most likely. Interested to know if the problem is confined to HD channels, or both SD and HD.

HD requires the box to transcode aac to ac3, and for the TV to tell the box it supports ac3 in the handshake. SD outputs bog standard lpcm so would be surprised if that's an issue. If only HD setting the box to output lpcm for all sources may be a fix.

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 19:40:59 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.